rab_rant wrote: ↑Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 am
23 shots and 9 on target. they say 3 shots on target should get you at least 1 goal. We should have won that game by a mile. Possession was 72. When i think of the best goals Leeds have scored this season they have been on the break... from defence to attack and the ball in the back of the net, just like Harrison against Fulham. With this type of attack defences have no time to park the bus in front of goal cos it is usually one on one. But last night most of the attacks were tippy tappy around their box, and it is so congested it's like shooting the ball through a forest of trees... the ball can go anywhere. It is more like pinball than football. We need to be more direct and move the ball quicker. Pinball football will be the death of us.
This is spot on.
It’s why poor teams manage to take points off us at home in particular. Just pack the defence, hoof the ball out and repeat for 90 minutes.
My concern is that Bielsa seems puzzled by the results at Cardiff and now Luton. Yes, we should have won, so many chances, so little to the opposition and a suggestion that we’ve been unfortunate. This approach will not lead to any change in approach to these games. We need some plan for set pieces, we need faster ball in the area, we need 23 shots but with a far higher percentage on target and we need Bamford to not lead the line or a change early when nothing is happening for him.
Keeping the line that we’ve been unfortunate with no change could lead to that being the description of our season at month end. There is time and we have the ability. Really miss Nketiah now.
Cjay wrote: ↑Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:05 pm
He is able to beat a man, has a trick or two so maybe that may be an advantage he has that Paddy doesnt?
Personally despite my doubts on Tyler i agree with you on Blackburn.
Id like to see Ian as a 10 to for the same reason.
He looks like he has a trick or two and that may unlock a packed defence.
We cant keep dicking about passing side to side until Pablo comes on to give us some creativity in the middle
I’d have anybody upfront ahead of Bamford at this stage. The guy just can’t cut it. I like the idea of Poveda at 10, I think we need something fresh to come in
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm
I’d have anybody upfront ahead of Bamford at this stage. The guy just can’t cut it. I like the idea of Poveda at 10, I think we need something fresh to come in
Yes, that would be my idea of change. Roberts for no 9, and then Poveda/Hernandez at no 10, with Pablo playing as much as his fitness allows. If Poveda is a hit then Hernandez could be used sparingly so as to regain full fitness with 2 or 3 games to go. Roberts deserves to be given a decent shot at the no 9 shirt - I don't see how anybody can say at this stage that he's not a natural finisher or striker. What we do know for definite is that Bamford is not suitable as a lone striker, nor is he a good finisher.
Bielsa just seems to have a mental block about our 'lack of efficiency. ' It's kind of a case of paralysis through analysis....What did Einstein say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome ?
I'm in the don't rate Bamford camp. Nothing against the lad personally i just don't think he is a good footballer. In the commentary the other day former England manager Steve Mcclaren said when he had Bamford he moved him out wide (god knows why) as he didn't think he was aggressive enough to play up top. Although he as worked hard on that side of his game, its still the case for me.
The header yesterday, i think he just mistimes the ball completely, falls on his arse then throws his hands in the air hoping for a penalty. The lad arrived on big money and is yet to justify any of that money. I think the scouts must have only watched the game where he score a hat trick against Leeds, his best ever game? Anyway i guess we have got this far and nothings gonna change for the last 6 games so lets hope he catches fire.
In other news Augustin loan comes to the end. Thanks for the memories big Kev.
Odds are Paddy starts every game to the end of the season and probably our first game in the Prem if we get there. Assuming the great one stays. I've lost count of the amount of times he just gets in the way, that's probably cost us a handful of key goals too
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
This has probably been linked before as its a year old, but anyone resigned to thinking leeds wont go up could have a read and they might feel better - there are some good points and out of date points but i would still rather we got up and had a go, even just for the financial aspect.
First off - I have only seen brief highlights from Luton game so can't comment a lot on that , other than disappointed . I work from 10pm onwards and grab a sleep before hence only catching result and highlights today .
Bamford - well , if the club go up IMO its despite Bamford , not because .....NO WAY can he be a starter for this side in the Premier League . I don't think he is even good at this level . I'd liked to have seen Augustin ( Nketiah before ) get a chance as they must offer more , even Roberts , a youngster offers more IMO . I guess Augustin has been unlucky with fitness and injury . Bamford though - I just give up with him , the club has had some poor strikers in recent years ( Noel thingy , Morison , Paynter ) ....but they were in sides that created maybe less than half the chances this one does , so comparison is unfair . Also right now Bamford can't even claim the crowd is on his back unless the cardboard cutouts have taken a dislike to him ...so it looks like basically , he's a bit crap .
CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm
Yes, that would be my idea of change. Roberts for no 9, and then Poveda/Hernandez at no 10, with Pablo playing as much as his fitness allows. If Poveda is a hit then Hernandez could be used sparingly so as to regain full fitness with 2 or 3 games to go. Roberts deserves to be given a decent shot at the no 9 shirt - I don't see how anybody can say at this stage that he's not a natural finisher or striker. What we do know for definite is that Bamford is not suitable as a lone striker, nor is he a good finisher.
Bielsa just seems to have a mental block about our 'lack of efficiency. ' It's kind of a case of paralysis through analysis....What did Einstein say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome ?
I would also put Edmondson on the bench. I really don't know what Bielsa has against him - if had been given a fair chance then he might have spared us the Nketiah/Augustin loan fiascos and saved the club 6 or 7 million quid to boot.
If he were to come on as a sub and start scoring immediately I guess a lot of questions would then be asked about Bielsa's judgement - maybe that's what he's scared of ? If you're good enough then you're old enough - I remember watching Tommy Wright score on his debut aged 17....that was against Fulham funnily enough.
CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm
Yes, that would be my idea of change. Roberts for no 9, and then Poveda/Hernandez at no 10, with Pablo playing as much as his fitness allows. If Poveda is a hit then Hernandez could be used sparingly so as to regain full fitness with 2 or 3 games to go. Roberts deserves to be given a decent shot at the no 9 shirt - I don't see how anybody can say at this stage that he's not a natural finisher or striker. What we do know for definite is that Bamford is not suitable as a lone striker, nor is he a good finisher.
Bielsa just seems to have a mental block about our 'lack of efficiency. ' It's kind of a case of paralysis through analysis....What did Einstein say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome ?
AE was certainly a clever chap, but not sure he ever said this..
I think bielsa is scared to try anything new for whatever reason. Maybe he thinks why should he change the team when they are top of the league.
IMO it will be worse to NOT change it and expect bamford to suddenly become prolific. Or for KP to start delivering accurate corners. For all his genius i dont understand how he cannot see things that seem so clear to everyone else watching from the outside.
CHAPELALLMAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm
Yes, that would be my idea of change. Roberts for no 9, and then Poveda/Hernandez at no 10, with Pablo playing as much as his fitness allows. If Poveda is a hit then Hernandez could be used sparingly so as to regain full fitness with 2 or 3 games to go. Roberts deserves to be given a decent shot at the no 9 shirt - I don't see how anybody can say at this stage that he's not a natural finisher or striker. What we do know for definite is that Bamford is not suitable as a lone striker, nor is he a good finisher.
Bielsa just seems to have a mental block about our 'lack of efficiency. ' It's kind of a case of paralysis through analysis....What did Einstein say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome ?
Ya that would be the way to go at Blackburn. Bamford is just will not put the ball in the net, zero excuses for him. But I fully expect Bamford leading the line Saturday
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Am I alone in being optimistic that we at least get a point out of the game? I'm just reminded of Wilko's words, if I may paraphrase:
"A draw is never, never a bad result. Only if you absolutely need to win a game to ensure you achieve your goals for the season, then it's a disastrous result."
mothbanquet wrote: ↑Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Am I alone in being optimistic that we at least get a point out of the game? I'm just reminded of Wilko's words, if I may paraphrase:
"A draw is never, never a bad result. Only if you absolutely need to win a game to ensure you achieve your goals for the season, then it's a disastrous result."
I'm ok with the draw, Luton one of the better teams in the division last 10 games, BCD brings us closer too. Deserved the win, but Luton have 16 points from games and only one defeat
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
It's amazing that we are top of the Championship, yet do not have a back up striker or two in the squad who can compete for the Number 9 position.
Dwight Gayle just scored for Newcastle earlier on, and Nketiah is now established in the Arsenal first team squad.