Chilli D wrote:A definite no from me.
His best days are well behind him and he's obviously looking for one final payday before he calls it a day. I doubt we can afford the sort of money he would be asking for anyway.
We should be looking at getting players such as Eze from QPR, Benrahma (although Liverpool said to want him) and Rhian Brewster (who has scored 10 goals since the re-start). All players who are ready to make the step up to the Premier League.
Admittedly none of these are strikers and we do definitely need one but Cavani isnt it.
Absolutely. We need to be building for the next few years not 12 months. He's had his day and is on the way down.
If he’s on a free, he’d cost roughly £20m over two years even on his hefty wage. Those extra few goals a season could mean the difference between a comfortable first couple of seasons and an out and out scrap. In January were happy to pay similar numbers in fees alone for players unproven at PL level. Agree that injuries are an unknown.... but they always are. Bielsa did a superb job managing Pablo through the season. I’d trust him to do the same.
Note: in May ‘PSG Talk’ reported Calvani was prepared to take a 40% pay cut to stay there.
Definitely wouldn't say no to him on low wages, but I don't think he'll be like Cambiasso at Leicester when he took a substantial financial hit to play for them, especially with Cavani getting used to all that oil money in the last few years
Cjay wrote: ↑Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:09 pm
Sadly the €200k a week is WITH a wage cut
He was on over €300k at PSG.
If its true he is demanding 18mil a year then thats about in line with what he earned at PSG.
Welcome to the forum
I think he has to be realistic. When he signed that contract at PSG, he was first choice. If he was still worth that, why didn't PSG keep him? Realistically only China could pay that kind of money.
SG90 wrote:I'm sure if we were linked with Milner, fans wouldn't be moaning he's too old and his wages are too big or that he'd divide the dressing room.
I would. I read he's on 140k per week. No chance I'd take him on that basis. Milner is fit and versatile but at his age unless we got him cheap initially I wouldn't go there.
SG90 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 am
I think he has to be realistic. When he signed that contract at PSG, he was first choice. If he was still worth that, why didn't PSG keep him? Realistically only China could pay that kind of money.
I wonder if Adidas may help?
Clearly we cant and wont pay that money. Cavani is still a name, he has value as a big name player. Maybe Adidas will sponsor him?
He will certainly sell shirts, he has millions of followers on social media. If Adidas agreed to pay him say 7mil a year (they Pay Messi £12mil so not entirely ridiculous ). Thats about £150k a week.
We could easily pay him £90k ourselves, thats £240k a week in total.
Not as far fetched as it sounds given JKA cost us £4mil in loan fees, the majority if not all (according to Phil Hay) of his £90k a week deal.
In fact JKA in 1 year would have cost £30mil!!!!
Edit- Thanks Aussie
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:46 am
I wonder if Adidas may help?
Clearly we cant and wont pay that money. Cavani is still a name, he has value as a big name player. Maybe Adidas will sponsor him?
He will certainly sell shirts, he has millions of followers on social media. If Adidas agreed to pay him say 7mil a year (they Pay Messi £12mil so not entirely ridiculous ). Thats about £150k a week.
We could easily pay him £90k ourselves, thats £240k a week in total.
Not as far fetched as it sounds given JKA cost us £4mil in loan fees, the majority if not all (according to Phil Hay) of his £90k a week deal.
In fact JKA in 1 year would have cost £30mil!!!!
Edit- Thanks Aussie
Apparently we have a "marquee player" deal as part of the Adidas contract, so they essentially would be paying for him. Also the potential to sell shirts/merchandise in South America, a continent that is passionate about football. We already are popular there thanks to Bielsa.
Exactly, what fans saying it's too much don't understand, is that a proven goalscorer is going to set us back £30m+ and that is before wages. Otherwise we're left spending £20m on a Championship striker hoping they can step up, and I don't want two unproven Championship strikers leading the line for us.
Seems to have divided fan opinion right down the middle.
For me a big yes, although not without some hesitation in respect of age (although at Vardy going for the golden boot at pretty much the same age) and potential for injury.
Until reading above comments I wasn't really aware that he has such a good work/effort ethic, which clearly he would need in a MB team.
Just imagine you're sat in an opposition dressing room before KO next season and out team sheet is read out...……….who as an opposition player would you fear most leading our attack Cavani or Bamford
SG90 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:16 pm
Apparently we have a "marquee player" deal as part of the Adidas contract, so they essentially would be paying for him. Also the potential to sell shirts/merchandise in South America, a continent that is passionate about football. We already are popular there thanks to Bielsa.
Exactly, what fans saying it's too much don't understand, is that a proven goalscorer is going to set us back £30m+ and that is before wages. Otherwise we're left spending £20m on a Championship striker hoping they can step up, and I don't want two unproven Championship strikers leading the line for us.
Good point. I put in my Yes vote on the condition that he's fit enough and we can afford him however it happens.
Guaranteed 20+ Premier League goals with the chances we create, that's my stance and I'm sticking to it.