The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th July) - Leeds lining up £15m to bring Foyth to Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th July) - Leeds lining up £15m to bring Foyth to Elland Road

Post by lufc1304 »

It's the S*n, they print nothing but sh*te. And Foyth is not worth £15m, though he might be after Bielsa improved him!

The Cavani story isn't going away but I think it's highly unlikely. Great player in his day with a tremendous conversion rate, but he's on the slide now and we can't afford his wages.

I heard the Punjabi song on Twitter the other day. a bit of fun and it may give us some decent exposure in the Indian sub-continent which is a huge market.

Personally, I think Costa may flourish in the Prem as there may be more space to exploit when teams don't just park the bus. Certainly deserves a crack at it. As for Bamford, I'd keep him as a third choice. The lad understands the system and works hard but he's profligate and, at least initally, we can't afford to carry a striker who needs 6 chances to score one goal. we may only get 6 chances in an entire game.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
hector

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th July) - Leeds lining up £15m to bring Foyth to Elland Road

Post by hector »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:13 am I wonder what will happen with Bamford?

If we were offered 3m, would you accept it?
I would accept £3.50 :) :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Fridge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:55 am Apologies for a long one:

Not right now. I don't think he is world class but I'm hopeful that he can improve. Hopefully with Bielsa's coaching and a chance to start more games, he will do better than he did in his premier league season at Wolves.

I think right now it is more important to concentrate on a proper replacement for Hernandez, a CB to replace White, a striker and potentially a LB and GK. Perhaps if we stay up and are in a position to reassess and strengthen further, then will be the time to start thinking about a new RW/RM

Absolutely, I am not too keen on signing Foyth. It looks as if Spurs fans are keen to get rid of him. If he isn't good enough to warm the bench at Spurs then I am not sure he is the man to start every game for us.

If we are going down the route of an Argentinian CB in that price range, I'd be much more keen to go for Lucas Quarta at River Plate. He has no premier league experience but has played regularly for one of Argentina's top teams, plus at a reported £9-11m he would be cheaper than Foyth.

The first time I came up with the name Fridge, I was sitting in the kitchen trying to think of a simple name to use. I looked around the room, saw the fridge and thought 'that will do'

In an ideal world, yes.

However, I think Bielsa is extremely keen on Bamford and will be demanding that he stays. In fact, I have a feeling that Bielsa would walk if the club decided to sell Bamford.

I'm very keen to see us sign a new striker, but as there are other positions that are crying out for a replacement, I think we would have to settle for Bamford as a back-up as the best case scenario.

Spurs know we are desperate for a CB and that Bielsa will likely be keen on Argentinian players with PL experience. Clubs will sell players for the price they think they can get, not what they are actually worth.

£8m which could easily rise to £26m if we cannot wriggle out of the deal to sign Augustin. :|

On the topic of Spurs, it's easy to forget that we managed to sign Jack Clarke to them for ~£10m last summer. I hope he turns it round for his sake, but he doesn't look like he's worth anything near £10m now so ultimately a great deal for us.
Good thing you were only in the kitchen when you were trying to come up with a nic!!!!! :-D
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

15m for a Spurs reject. We stroked them for 9.for a Leeds reject.

I like Foyth. Has had injuries but might be worth a deal. Can play in two positions.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 am Why, if Spurs only paid £8m for him in 2017 and he can’t even get in their team now, does Foyth’s value go up to £15m, if anything it should be less than £8m shouldn’t it? If he’s not good enough for Spurs then why would he be good enough for us? At 22 he is still only young and Bielsa may be able to develop him, I suppose, and get more out of him than Mourinho seems to be able to do, but at £15m is a lot of money for a Spurs reject.

No thanks to Cavani.

Great stuff Jinder Jade, not my kind of music but good fun and quite catchy!
Are you really suggesting our first eleven is better than or on a pad with spurs?

He's a young player... No shame in not getting in a spurs side having vertonghen and alderweireld as centre backs, as well as Sanchez. White wasn't getting in the Brighton team...

Not saying he'd be a good buy but you can't rule him out just because he can't get in the spurs first team
billysboots
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by billysboots »

No talk of loan deals yet, there must be a few players knocking about in the premier league looking for a regular game.
There Is Only One United.
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am We wasted best part of 8m on the loans for Nketiah and Augustin
That isn't a reason for giving up on Costa.

He has shown improvement, has the potential to improve further whilst Bielsa is still picking him, and is our player now.
Fear of a female planet?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

hector wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:05 am I would accept £3.50 :) :)
omg Hector is actually Peter Ridsdale. Guessing you'd also insist on Leeds paying 80% of his wages too.
Senor El Weasel
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

IMO we need to sign two CBs one needs to be proven quality in the Prem and potentially the other could be a young kid, with some experience but who needs guidance and support so Foyth seems to fit that bill. If we can get him on the cheap definitely under the £15m then I’d say yes.

Love MOT Punjabi style hope it brings us a few more fans and 150% would love to see the Koop sing it :)
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

billysboots wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:07 pm No talk of loan deals yet, there must be a few players knocking about in the premier league looking for a regular game.
We're only allowed 2 PL loans and Harrison is one already. I guess we're waiting to see if Liverpool sign White and consider loaning him out.
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I'm OK with Foyth. Could be a good Bielsa project. 15m? Why, when Spurs only paid 8m and haven't exactly advanced him beyond improving his English. That's part of the reason we should be looking overseas first. Why can't we sign a younger Foyth from Argentina for 8m, just like Spurs did? Doesnt that make extra sense for players like Almada and Quarta?

Cavani - yes or no - if we sign him, I'm sure he'll be a big deal for us. I'd rather we signed a youngster that we could pay less money, develop, and sell at a profit. But, if we had Cavani, that would be exciting

I keep hearing about Bamford. Don't forget one thing. Bielsa likes familiarity. He likes consistency over wholesale changes. I can only see him signing 3 or 4 first team players, with a couple of those starting on the bench behind the incumbents. We know DC, LB, AMC are priorities, so I'd be surprised if big signings happened beyond those.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th July) Leeds lining up 15m to bring Foyth to ER

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 am Cavani's hit rate is second to none. 138 goals in 200 appearances for PSG.

Don't know anyone with a hit rate like that.

At 33, will he be able to do the running that Bielsa demands?
In answer to your question EB - I very much doubt it.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Bamford stays for me, bench warmer, nuisance footballer if needed. The one thing he can do well is wind up the opposition..We'd need 8-10 M to replace as he's system familiar.
Honey dipped flim flam
Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Byebyegeegee »

danhirons wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 am Are you really suggesting our first eleven is better than or on a pad with spurs?

He's a young player... No shame in not getting in a spurs side having vertonghen and alderweireld as centre backs, as well as Sanchez. White wasn't getting in the Brighton team...

Not saying he'd be a good buy but you can't rule him out just because he can't get in the spurs first team
No I’m not suggesting that we are better than Spurs at the moment but that is what we should be aiming to be, no point in going up to the Premiership to be perennial strugglers. If way are going to be paying well over the odds for players that other teams seem desperate to get rid of then that, to me, is a recipe for disaster! We have to be more savvy than that.
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:35 pm I'm OK with Foyth. Could be a good Bielsa project. 15m? Why, when Spurs only paid 8m and haven't exactly advanced him beyond improving his English. That's part of the reason we should be looking overseas first. Why can't we sign a younger Foyth from Argentina for 8m, just like Spurs did? Doesnt that make extra sense for players like Almada and Quarta?

Cavani - yes or no - if we sign him, I'm sure he'll be a big deal for us. I'd rather we signed a youngster that we could pay less money, develop, and sell at a profit. But, if we had Cavani, that would be exciting

I keep hearing about Bamford. Don't forget one thing. Bielsa likes familiarity. He likes consistency over wholesale changes. I can only see him signing 3 or 4 first team players, with a couple of those starting on the bench behind the incumbents. We know DC, LB, AMC are priorities, so I'd be surprised if big signings happened beyond those.
Bamford's record in the PL is 1 goal in 27 games. Even in a title winning championship side which created a huge number of chances he only managed 16 goals, and this despite playing nearly every game. Are we willing to stake PL survival on those kind of stats ? On the other hand, he does know the system, and he does help the system to some extent, so he has a role to play, but probably not a leading role. We definitely need another striker. Anyway, what would happen if Bamford picked up a long term injury ?
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:56 am Bamford's record in the PL is 1 goal in 27 games. Even in a title winning championship side which created a huge number of chances he only managed 16 goals, and this despite playing nearly every game. Are we willing to stake PL survival on those kind of stats ? On the other hand, he does know the system, and he does help the system to some extent, so he has a role to play, but probably not a leading role. We definitely need another striker. Anyway, what would happen if Bamford picked up a long term injury ?
We have holes at DC and LB, so I see money going there first. We need a Pablo back up, that would be priority #3. Bielsa doesn't like too many new faces, so I'd rather spend my money in other areas first. I could live with Bamford for another year. But I wouldn't complain if we signed Cavani either.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs