The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th September) Bielsa factor having big impact on fan fase

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th September) Bielsa factor having big impact on fan fase

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 15th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

De Paul drops major hint about his future

Udinese midfielder Rodrigo De Paul has dropped the biggest hint so far - that he wants to become a Leeds player before the transfer window closes next month. Leeds fanzine The Square Ball commented on Twitter last night that De Paul wants to join Marcelo Bielsa’s team but is waiting on Udinese to accept a bid. De Paul replied: “Yes” and added a fingers-crossed emoji before deleting the tweet shortly afterwards.

Big boots to fill for Mark Jackson

Leeds U18 head Coach and former player Mark Jackson has been promoted to U23 Manager, taking over from Carlos Corberan who left to become head Coach at Huddersfield.

The 42 year old former defender has his work cut cut having witnessed a 4-0 drubbing last night at the hands of Stoke City which included big money signings Elia Caprile, Sam Greenwood and Joe Gelhardt. Worryingly, even with he experience Hosannah, Gotts, McCalmont, Jenkins, Stevens and McKinstry, the Whites were unable to make any significant progress.

Jackson took up his first coaching role at Thorp Arch in 2015, twenty years since originally joining them as an apprentice. His coaching career started with the Under-15s, then Under-16s, before becoming head coach of the Under-18s. In 2018, his U18's won the Professional Development League title!

Bielsa factor having big impact on fan fase

Ally McCoist has admitted that Leeds United could be viewed as his “second team” after being so impressed with Marcelo Bielsa. The former Rangers legend was talking with Laura Woods on TalkSports. Woods said...

I don’t know if I’m allowed to say this but I’ll say it quietly just in case. But they’ve (Leeds) almost become peoples’ second team.

McCoist replied...
You’re absolutely right. Do you know why? It’s definitely the Bielsa factor. I understand the rivalry between clubs and Leeds United, with other clubs, might not be the most popular. But Bielsa’s brought a kind of [likeability], a second-club factor about them.

Me, for example. I’ve been saying all week that I’m looking forward to seeing them back in the top-flight. I was really looking forward to the game [against Liverpool] and it didn’t let me down at all. It did not disappoint.

Maybe all the die hard Leeds fans are right. Maybe we do ALL Love Leeds!!! Should people have second teams?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th September) Bielsa factor having big impact on fan fase

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning All,

So Leeds record this season.
Seniors concede 4 against LPool
U23s concede 4 against Stoke
You would need an abacus to count how many the kiddies shipped against Accrington last week

Worried?

Not us, cos everybody loves us now 😂

Seriously though, that Rodrigo dude looks good but that would be the end of our spending. And 3CBs is pretty thin cover for the season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th September) Bielsa factor having big impact on fan fase

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Morning all. No problem with fans or pundits liking us. All leads ultimately to more exposure and revenue. Like it or not, which I don't really, but being in the pl is all about generating vast sums of money to survive then expand
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I see Phil Hay is playing down the de Paul tweet, saying that the clubs are still miles apart on the transfer fee.

He should be arriving any day then. 😁

I can’t help feeling that Bielsa seems more keen to land Gvardiol and Kent though, with Jordan Lukaku sneaking up on the rails. All three would probably cost about the same as de Paul alone.

Buendia is another alleged Bielsa favourite who’s been linked again this morning, it’ll be an interesting couple of weeks.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Youth team games aren't about the results, they're about the performances. There's a lot of unfamiliarity in that squad but once they build that chemistry they'll be just fine. If we get quality enough to jump into the first team then that's mission accomplished. That's all there is to it.

I've no issue with second teams whatsoever. I've got a soft spot for Pompey because I spent a lot of time there in the navy and I'd accompany my local-living supporter pals to Fratton Park occasionally. It's a stonking ground for its size and the supporters were lovely, and it kept a little glimmer of interest in the game for me when I was in my footballing exile.

Second teams aren't necessarily a split of loyalty. How do you quantify something so esoteric for a start? But in my opinion they're simply good friends made along the way, not a close blood relative like our main clubs.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:15 am I see Phil Hay is playing down the de Paul tweet, saying that the clubs are still miles apart on the transfer fee.

He should be arriving any day then. 😁
Correct. Phil Hay said Rodrigo Moreno was a just a rumor, 3 days before he flew in for his medical
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 am Youth team games aren't about the results, they're about the performances. There's a lot of unfamiliarity in that squad but once they build that chemistry they'll be just fine. If we get quality enough to jump into the first team then that's mission accomplished. That's all there is to it.
Watching the game yesterday, they seemed to play well together but there was very little execution at either end. It did show that we have about 3 or 4 players that could drop into an experienced First XI (one at a time, not all at once). They play the same system and method. I could easily see Gotts, McCalmont, or Gelhardt dropping in if needed.

Plus that wasn't our strongest U-23 side yesterday. It was a weak team. We'll expect to see Davis, Bogusz, Casey, Cresswell playing regularly too.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

De Paul - It's a lot of money. I'd be happy to have him. But I can't help thinking that one player over 30 million is too high for our current ambitions

Bielsa Factor
- Love it. I love that Leeds are a respected team. More fans. More money. It's definitely great to hear people in the USA talking about them.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Have no problems with second teams, especially as we were out of the EPL for so long and I still followed the league closely.

My son's a Gooner, so I root for Arsenal, too, especially against our more hated opponents.

There is, however, no question of who I'll be rooting for when we play them, or anybody else for that matter, and the boy had better keep his mouth shut if we're watching together. :)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 pm De Paul - It's a lot of money. I'd be happy to have him. But I can't help thinking that one player over 30 million is too high for our current ambitions

Bielsa Factor
- Love it. I love that Leeds are a respected team. More fans. More money. It's definitely great to hear people in the USA talking about them.
Love it that there are new fans, too. I welcome them all and don't get on my high horse about them the way some older fans do. New fans always welcome.

I am, however, holding on to all my old Kappa (and older) shirts and such so I can maintain my quiet sense of smug superiority when I run into any of the new fans. :)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:28 pm Watching the game yesterday, they seemed to play well together but there was very little execution at either end. It did show that we have about 3 or 4 players that could drop into an experienced First XI (one at a time, not all at once). They play the same system and method. I could easily see Gotts, McCalmont, or Gelhardt dropping in if needed.

Plus that wasn't our strongest U-23 side yesterday. It was a weak team. We'll expect to see Davis, Bogusz, Casey, Cresswell playing regularly too.
True, but just having Drameh and Gelhardt playing means two cogs of the finely-tuned machine aren't quite turning in sync witht he others yet. I thought there were certainly some good individual performances, which is what matters.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Second team would be Aldershot as season ticket holder there for multiple seasons 70's to mid 90's. They're not a league team though.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I have a soft spot for Wimbledon after the original Wimbledon were ridiculously moved to Milton Keynes. For the fans, locals etc to put together a club AFC Wimbledon is remarkable.
Scarborough (family holidays) was a favourite until they very sadly went bust but now its Harrogate Town as my second club, a lovely place often visited with my Mum
TatleyK
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by TatleyK »

faaip wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:52 pm Second team would be Aldershot as season ticket holder there for multiple seasons 70's to mid 90's. They're not a league team though.
Snap, although I didn’t have a season ticket spent many a Saturday afternoon on the east bank at the rec during the seventies until I was old enough to go to Leeds’ away games in the south.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:52 pm Second team would be Aldershot as season ticket holder there for multiple seasons 70's to mid 90's. They're not a league team though.
Mine's Donny Rovers. Born and bred. Leeds were my team before I knew anything about football really, but always had a soft spot for my home town minnows - except when they beat us in the playoffs, I was all Leeds that day and very mad.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

De Paul - if he's as good as people seem to say then I think we should. I don't understand the argument that he would be a signing which exceeds our ambition. My only quibble was whether he really wanted to come, but it seems that he does. Good lad!

Bielsa factor - apart from everything he's done for the club since arriving, I'm sure he adds to our clout, prestige and pulling power in the prem. So proud to have him as our manager.

Second teams - I've tended to follow the results of local sides wherever I've lived, but not always to wish them well, as in the case of Wednesday, Derby, Newcastle or, er... Manchester. I always favour Celtic, and have been having a little flirt with Atalanta recently.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TatleyK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 pm Snap, although I didn’t have a season ticket spent many a Saturday afternoon on the east bank at the rec during the seventies until I was old enough to go to Leeds’ away games in the south.
There's only one Murray Brodie ...Yep East stander too, North on occasions, notably the 4-2 loss to Manure in a preseason friendly where they had to pack the crowd in and I had to sit on my uncles shoulders ..

Was a season ticket holder at Raith to for the year we lived up there while my dad designed and installed sonar systems on the docks nearby
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
TatleyK
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by TatleyK »

faaip wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:19 pm There's only one Murray Brodie ...Yep East stander too, North on occasions, notably the 4-2 loss to Manure in a preseason friendly where they had to pack the crowd in and I had to sit on my uncles shoulders ..

Was a season ticket holder at Raith to for the year we lived up there while my dad designed and installed sonar systems on the docks nearby
Joe Jopling is the name that sticks in my mind. Bit of of legend if my memory serves me correctly. But enough of the Aldershot talk😀 this is MOT after all.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

My second team if you can call it that is Northampton Town because I was born and spent the first few years of my life in Northamptonshire.
We lived in Irthlingborough, just half a mile away from from the Irthlingborough Diamonds ground which later became Rushden and Diamonds and got as far as League 1 a few years ago.
Sadly the club went under when their backer withdrew his support. I still have family in Irthlingborough and visit occasionally.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Of course the great man is the difference at the moment but I wouldn’t worry folks, this new found love in between us and the London/southern based media won’t last long. Having a suspicious mind, I believe they are only building us up now so that when they turn it will be all the more enjoyable for them to knock us back down again. Believe me it will only take the most minor of indiscretions for them to get back to their normal vitriolic ways, just look at the Spygate nonsense.

No second team for me really except that, for absolutely no reason that I can think of and having no particular interest in Scottish football at all, I always look out for Albion Rovers’ results. I think I just like the name because it’s kind of interchangeable and could easily have been Rovers Albion! Daft I know and they usually get beaten!