Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm We may have conceded 7, but 3 were penalties. We won't have 30 penalties against us this season.
I don't know - these referees seem to have taken a dislike to Koch
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds United v Fulham FC - MATCH THREAD - Cooper & Rodrigo in for Struijk & Hernandez

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:13 pm KP was poor because he was against both Anguissa and Reed. When we play Roberts at 10, we get no help in midfield. That's why we struggled first half until Pablo came on after the restart.
I made that point too. I think Klich played fairly far forward. Definitely Bielsa's tactics. He kind of let Phillips get overrun a little in the DMC role, while Klich was further forward taking advantage of all the extra space. Klich could have sat back, but Bielsa saw an opportunity in not doing that.
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:48 pm Feel sorry for Koch, thought he played well, best of the back 4 imo.

Our left hand side was poor today and imo Meslier should have done better for all of the goals.

Costa looks every inch a Premier league player and Paddy to based on today, both of them were superb.

Klich was good to but imo we were to open and as part of that midfield he has to do better.

We are really clinical atm but we must ne harder to beat (same as last season) we cant concede at this rate.
All agreed

I think Koch is fine. The only reason I fell sorry for him is when the fans who don't see the whole picture start knocking him for a single mistake. He was fantastic today. Anyone who really watches the game sees that. We've got a quality defender there. Better than Maguire, Stones, Ake for a fraction of the price
Last edited by andrewjohnsmith on Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Fridge »

That’s the name of the game in the PL, VAR encourages so many penalties.

8 penalties in 11 games so far...
No Patrick Bamford blasphemy allowed
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm Like a new signing for me, a excellent start to this season for our coffee boy
Last year I was convinced Orta misunderstood Bielsa when he said "I want Costa" I thought he was ordering a cup of coffee. This year it's starting to look like he did mean Helder Costa after all.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

One concern and one of the reasons i think we look dodgy defensively.

We arent passing it as accurately..
In our system if your passing isnt on point you automatically are vulnerable.

We need to pass the ball better or we will be picked off.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Magnificent strike from Costa

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 20.39.58.png
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:39 pm One concern and one of the reasons i think we look dodgy defensively.

We arent passing it as accurately..
In our system if your passing isnt on point you automatically are vulnerable.

We need to pass the ball better or we will be picked off.
Playing against better teams really reduces the margin for error too. We could get away with a lot more last year than we will this year
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:41 pm Magnificent strike from Costa

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 20.39.58.png
I was yelling at him for not hitting it first time. And then ... he was a Genius
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:41 pm Playing against better teams really reduces the margin for error too. We could get away with a lot more last year than we will this year
It does although it was acceptable against Liverpool but not against Fulham.

There are teams in this league whose entire plan is to sit back and nick the ball during sloppy moments.

Wolves, Leicester, we have to be better we arent scoring at the rate we have been for the entire season.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

My name is Robin, I am a German, and i must apologise for all the penalties my country has scored against England.

For this reason i must make amends by giving away penalties in every game i play in. It is the only way we as a nation can redeem ourselves, and by performing this act of contrition we can only hope that we will be forgiven.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

That angle from behind to me looks like Bryan puts his right boot out to force contact?

Koch was definitely trying to pull out (hehe) but definitely the shot from behind makes me think Joe Bryan was determined to make contact.
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:04 pm
That angle from behind to me looks like Bryan puts his right boot out to force contact?

Koch was definitely trying to pull out (hehe) but definitely the shot from behind makes me think Joe Bryan was determined to make contact.
Nobody on the Fulham team thought it was a penalty either, not even Joe Bryan. They all seemed caught off guard when the referee pointed to the spot.
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:04 pm

i'm obviously a leeds fan and I think it's a penalty and we'd be going mental if that wasn't given the other end

but does it really matter? the whole incident was totally avoidable if Koch had just stayed on his feet, why would you even take a risk like that?
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

couldn't watch the second half as I had my own football game but Koch must be a bit of a concern for Bielsa

first game - handball penalty (arm in a crazy high position) and lost his man on the van dijk goal

second game - stupid penalty given away (almost lost one of the fulham players on a corner as well in the first half, just about recovered though!

need to sure up the back and quick otherwise we're going to struggle - great that we could hold on though
Brolins_Ghost
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Brolins_Ghost »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:30 pm All agreed

I think Koch is fine. The only reason I fell sorry for him is when the fans who don't see the whole picture start knocking him for a single mistake. He was fantastic today. Anyone who really watches the game sees that. We've got a quality defender there. Better than Maguire, Stones, Ake for a fraction of the price
Agreed, Rob is going to settle into being a top class CB,he is just trying a bit too hard right now to prove himself to the team, but a couple more games to let him bed in and we will see just how good the lad can be.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:16 pm i'm obviously a leeds fan and I think it's a penalty and we'd be going mental if that wasn't given the other end

but does it really matter? the whole incident was totally avoidable if Koch had just stayed on his feet, why would you even take a risk like that?
It was avoidable, Costa should have tracked Bryan for a start and as you say Koch should have stayed on his feet.

But Koch did have a good game imo that aside, he had some vital defensive contributions, Hector header and one time when it looked like Mitrovic was going to get a chance Koch came across.

I'm more worried about our defensive structure as a whole and our goalie than just 1 person.

If Kiko had conceded the goals Meslier did today people would lose their minds.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 22.31.47.png
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:32 pm It was avoidable, Costa should have tracked Bryan for a start and as you say Koch should have stayed on his feet.

But Koch did have a good game imo that aside, he had some vital defensive contributions, Hector header and one time when it looked like Mitrovic was going to get a chance Koch came across.

I'm more worried about our defensive structure as a whole and our goalie than just 1 person.

If Kiko had conceded the goals Meslier did today people would lose their minds.
good to hear the rest of his game was ok except for the pen tackle, did look decent first half

i'd rather an average keeper who isn't going to flap at every second cross to be honest and so i'm more than happy with meslier - not sure he could've done too much different today other than being a bit in no-man's land for mitro's header
andrewjohnsmith
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

danhirons wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:38 pm i'd rather an average keeper who isn't going to flap at every second cross to be honest and so i'm more than happy with meslier - not sure he could've done too much different today other than being a bit in no-man's land for mitro's header
I gave Meslier credit for a composed display. But you just reminded me of something I forgot. There was a cross that came right to him. It was so easy that I had time, to say, "Oh nice, easy take" and pick up my coffee cup before I was saying "WTF?" when he punched it. It was a strange choice because it was right at him and there was nobody near him. Other than that (the 2nd goal which he might have saved) he had a good game