What the pundits/press/other fans are saying about Leeds?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: What the pundits/press/coaches are saying about Bielsa's Leeds

Post by LUFC 1966 »

LOVING THE LOVE
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Craig Hope (journalist)

Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 14.33.35.png
Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 14.33.35.png (574.17 KiB) Viewed 2786 times

So much of this summer was spent salivating at the prospect of an Argentine genius illuminating the new Premier League season.

Well, on Saturday at Anfield, Marcelo Bielsa did just that. Forget Lionel Messi, even he would have struggled to eclipse his compatriot's opening-day impact.

Rarely in a defeat that includes the concession of four goals do a team and their manager emerge with so much acclaim. But there was no other conclusion to draw from a breathless, chaotic and exhilarating match in which Leeds were magnificent.

But Jurgen Klopp knew that he had been fortunate to escape with victory. It was telling when he used words like 'uncomfortable' to describe how Leeds had irritated and unsettled his own team, admitting that he would never be able to devise a plan to truly combat Bielsa-ball.

And that was Bielsa's greatest victory, proving to a watching world that he will never deviate from his belief in how the game should be played, even at the home of the champions. The 65-year-old is utterly uncompromising.

Just like the cat will always chase the mice, Bielsa will always attack and give chase to the opposition.

Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 14.39.35.png
Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 14.39.35.png (318.6 KiB) Viewed 2786 times

Saturday, admittedly, was not a great example, but Leeds are far more than a side who pour forward in ignorance of the consequences at the other end.

They conceded the fewest number of goals in the Championship last season and Bielsa prides himself as much on solidity at the back as he does fluidity in attack.

Had centre back and captain Liam Cooper featured against Liverpool — he was injured playing for Scotland last week — then you suspect Bielsa and Leeds would have points to accompany the plaudits. As it was, new £13million Germany defender Robin Koch made his debut and was involved in three of Liverpool's goals.

Bielsa stressed that it would be wrong to blame one player for the defeat — another new boy, £27million club-record signing Rodrigo, gave away the penalty for Salah's late winner — but it was hard to escape the feeling that the pair's limited exposure to Bielsa's methods tipped the scales against Leeds. Elsewhere, they matched and surpassed their celebrated hosts.

Bielsa said: 'I value the rebellion of my team. We stopped Liverpool from playing as well as they usually do.'

here were examples of that all over the park, but none more so than in the performance of Liverpool right back Trent Alexander-Arnold, who was given the runaround in defence and seldom allowed to run around in attack.

That was the work of left winger Jack Harrison, the scorer of Leeds' first equaliser and, were it not for Salah, the game's best player.

Kalvin Phillips created his goal with a pass so measured as to make Savile Row tailors jealous, and the midfielder fared far better in the white of Leeds than he had done in the white of England four days previously.

Fellow midfielder Mateusz Klich — who blasted a delightful volley for 3-3 — was also outstanding, and Luke Ayling at right back, too.

What did that quartet have in common? Not a single Premier League appearance between them. What they did have, however, was two seasons under Bielsa's care. And that, for any player, is transformational

It does not matter that just two of their starting XI had top-flight experience, nor that the club has been away from this stage for 16 years.

It did not matter that they were facing the best team in the land, either.

What matters is that they have Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:52 pm Craig Hope (journalist)

the performance of Liverpool right back Trent Alexander-Arnold, who was given the runaround in defence and seldom allowed to run around in attack.
What paper does he write for 64? First journalist piece that actually shows a bit of research about Leeds's defensive record and Cooper being out and some good wordplay such as the bit above.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:17 pm What paper does he write for 64? First journalist piece that actually shows a bit of research about Leeds's defensive record and Cooper being out and some good wordplay such as the bit above.
Believe it or not the Daily Mail :shock:
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

What a great thread. I still cant stop smiling
TatleyK
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by TatleyK »

LUFC 1966 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm LOVING THE LOVE
Must admit i find this new found love of Leeds from other fans and journo’s a bit disconcerting. Are they building us up to kick us down? Think I prefer it when everyone hates us😀
hector

Post by hector »

TatleyK wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm Must admit i find this new found love of Leeds from other fans and journo’s a bit disconcerting. Are they building us up to kick us down? Think I prefer it when everyone hates us😀
Don't worry, it will be back to normal soon :) :)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

hector wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 pm Don't worry, it will be back to normal soon :) :)
I think you're right Hector. Once they've gotten over petting us like beautiful purebred showdogs and realised we're all foaming-at-the-mouth rottweiler - not here to look pretty but to give the big boys a rude awakening - then the mask will drop.

For some of them, anyway.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 am I think you're right Hector. Once they've gotten over petting us like beautiful purebred showdogs and realised we're all foaming-at-the-mouth rottweiler - not here to look pretty but to give the big boys a rude awakening - then the mask will drop.

For some of them, anyway.
Suspect you are right Moth, watch out for incoming missiles once we trounce the Fulham lovies on Saturday

Love your description. Of us been foaming at the mouth Rottweiler my fav dog was a Rottie called Reg
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:38 am Suspect you are right Moth, watch out for incoming missiles once we trounce the Fulham lovies on Saturday

Love your description. Of us been foaming at the mouth Rottweiler my fav dog was a Rottie called Reg
Gorgeous dogs with unfair reputations in my experiences, mate.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 am Gorgeous dogs with unfair reputations in my experiences, mate.
Fabulous dogs :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cascarino always talks b*ll*cks

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 07.32.42.png

TONY CASCARINO thinks Manchester United should replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa

Cascarino told TalkSPORT: "I think Solskjaer got a lot wrong yesterday because he should have made changes a lot earlier.

“There was no urgency.

“I was watching Leeds in the earlier game, and then watching Man United at 5.30pm, and I was thinking, maybe United do need something different.

“Not players, but maybe they need Bielsa.

“I’m looking at Man United and thinking they do the exact opposite of what Leeds do – they don’t take risks.

“When Ole gets it right – and he has got it right in a good few games – they are offensive and attacking and dangerous from many parts of the team.

“But yesterday they were laboured, sloppy and never had anything which represents Manchester United.”
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Well, to be fair, he's not wrong is he? They should replace Solskjaer with Bielsa.

Too bad for them he wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole.

Also, how many of that Scum squad would actually be able to hack Bielsa's methods?
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 am Well, to be fair, he's not wrong is he? They should replace Solskjaer with Bielsa.

Too bad for them he wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole.

Also, how many of that Scum squad would actually be able to hack Bielsa's methods?
Nicely put mate :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 am Also, how many of that Scum squad would actually be able to hack Bielsa's methods?
I do wonder if Bielsa's methods are the reason why star players refuse to sign for Leeds

Murderball & long training sessions wouldn't suit many footballers when they can earn higher salaries & have a much easier working life elsewhere....on the golf course during the afternoon
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 pm I do wonder if Bielsa's methods are the reason why star players refuse to sign for Leeds
If it is we don't want them anyway... Do not need attitude...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 pm I do wonder if Bielsa's methods are the reason why star players refuse to sign for Leeds

Murderball & long training sessions wouldn't suit many footballers when they can earn higher salaries & have a much easier working life elsewhere....on the golf course during the afternoon
Probably why he was perfect fit for us as we didn't have any star names when he took over but we had players that were prepared to work and learn.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:21 pm Probably why he was perfect fit for us as we didn't have any star names when he took over but we had players that were prepared to work and learn.
Indeed :tup: many star players have a different mentality to our raw lads
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Brown & Savage raving about Leeds :-D