Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD - Hernandez still out, Roberts in for Rodrigo

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd - MATCH THREAD - Hernandez still out, Roberts in for Rodrigo

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd

Sunday 27th September 2020 12.00 | Bramall Lane | Live on BT Sport 1

Leeds travel down to Bramall Lane on Sunday hoping to build on their fantastic start to Premiership life for the first time in sixteen years. Bragging rights up for grabs as to who the best team in Yorkshire are.

Pablo Hernandez will miss out, the 35 year old having picked up a groin strain whilst warming up against Fulham. Tyler Roberts will come into the side in his place having impressed as a second half substitute against Fulham. Record signinging Rodrigo will drop to the bench. Adam Foreshaw has suffered a slight setback in his recorvery and although he has returned to training on the grass it will be a long time before he is avaialble for first team seelction. Diego Llorente was available for selection after joining from Real Sociedad earlier this week though he will not feature this weekend as Robin Koch retains his place alongside Liam Cooper with Pascal Struijk providing cover on the bench.

Sheffield United are suffering their biggest slump under Chris Wilder's tenure. They lost their last three games of last season, and their bad form has continued during the infant stages of the 2020-21 Premier League season. They lost at home to Wolves on the opening game of the season and also returned home from Villa Park without any points, though having John Egan sent off after only twelve minutes did not help their cause. The Blades have been quite conservative with their Summer spending. They have splashed out £15m for Derby duo Max Lowe and Jayden Bogle, brought in Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu on a season-long loan and swapped Callum Robinson with Oliver Burke (WBA).

This is the first top-flight meeting between the sides since a 2-2 draw at Bramall Lane in March 1994 though the teams have played each other ten times in the Championship over the past sixteen years. Sheffield United have won four of the past five league meetings but honours were shared back in 2018-2019 with both teams earning a 1-0 victory each. Leeds have lost six of their past nine visits to Bramall Lane in all competitions. This will be the first Yorkshire derby in the Premier League since May 2001, when Leeds beat Bradford City 6-1.

Leeds United Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Costa, Roberts, Klich, Harrison, Bamford

Leeds Subs: Poveda, Alioski, Rodrigo, Struijk, Davis, Caprile, Shackleton
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Sheffield Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by mothbanquet »

Lots of factors pointing in our favour for this game!

So we're going to lose.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Does tha know what. I really fancy us for this game (says the failed gambler) so that usually means a tight game and a flick of a coin to decide the outcome. Tails Tails never fails.

Defend well from set-pieces, keep the ball well and carry on with the clinical finishing and i tell ya its in the bag.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Well I stand by my 3-1 Leeds prediction ....come on you whites ... :scarfe2:
Lorimer46
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @dsc67

Post by Lorimer46 »

I don't think this will be that easy a match. I'm sure that The Blades will be desperate to break their duck as they won't want to be cast adrift early in the season I've a mate who's a Blades fan and he's already prepared for relegation , they'll be up for this . I've already predicted a draw and I think a point will be ok but I'd be equally happy to be proved wrong with an away win
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

No Hernandez no problem we are a team on the up, signing internationals whilst they sign mediocre championship players probably in preparation for their impending relegation. In all seriousness they are the kind of team that could cause us problems, overloads and balls in to the box for target men, conceding a penalty is extremely likely and Sharpe should be odds on to get a goal. We could get a few though so potentially another high scoring game, couldn't care less how many we conceed at this stage as long as we score more, let the pundits worry about that. 3-2 leeds.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I predicted a draw too, which I'd be happy with given our recent history against the Blunts.

Having said that, I believe that if we can take maximum points here the psychological benefit for players and fans alike would be massive - I'd go so far as to suggest that I'd feel sure we had what it takes to stay up, and that we need to be looking up rather than down for the rest of the season.

A bit mad I know, but it's just how I perceive Leeds in relation to Sheffield United at this point.

Know also that if we draw or lose I see no great significance beyond the points dropped, and that I really don't like Wilder, miserable, whinging, graceless individual that he is.

:) :)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Happy to keep a clean sheet here.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Think we'll win, as I'm expecting them to play defensively, and we'll have too much in attack for them to cope. Also expect us to be tighter at the back with another week's training.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I’ve gone for a 2-2 draw which would be ok I think. Bielsa obviously sees a problem with our defence (hardly surprising seeing as though we’ve conceded 7 in two games) which is why we’ve brought Llorente in out of the blue so to speak. Can’t imagine even Bielsa can work miracles in just a week so I’ve gone for 2 goals for them, hopefully we can continue our clinical finishing and at least match them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is the 7 conceded something of a smokescreen? Three dubious pens, two new formations, one player only arrived 2 weeks ago..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:03 pm Is the 7 conceded something of a smokescreen? Three dubious pens, two new formations, one player only arrived 2 weeks ago..
West Brom have conceded 7, Southampton 8, in much more 'normal' circumstances. I think it's a bit of a smokescreen myself, but I think we can be assured MB knows if there's something to be worried about and isn't prone to panic-buying.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think there was always a need so adding a bit of depth is sensible, especially if he can cover a FB and DMF as well. I'm not sure the price screams starter and unless injured I think Coop starts till it goes tits up ...MB plays the long game, surprising considering the short termism with his contracts.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

I am hoping Roberts doesn't start, as he offers very little to the side. The club really needs to push for a creative midfielder, as Hernandez can barely manage a full game (when he's fit).
Last edited by Overman on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:46 pm I think there was always a need so adding a bit of depth is sensible, especially if he can cover a FB and DMF as well. I'm not sure the price screams starter and unless injured I think Coop starts till it goes tits up ...MB plays the long game, surprising considering the short termism with his contracts.
Agreed. Llorente won't get a bench spot until next weekend at the earliest, but defensive cover is certainly no bad thing. I like Coops, good club captain, but I'm not convinced he has it at this level over a season. Happy to be proved wrong, of course. Anyway, a bench of GK, Shacks, Pascal, Ali, Rodrigo/Pablo and Llorente looks pretty decent to me at this level. Throw De Paul(?) into the mix, and I think we're set.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Personally quite like Wilder and what he has done with the Blades, overlapping cbs are cool. They are similar to us with their system being the key in general over the individual.

But the loss of Dean Henderson is huge imo, he was vital to their form last season given they dont score much (only scored more than one goal in 8 or 9 league games i think).

Not saying Henderson is solely responsible but without him it would have been a relegation battle for Blades imo.

Now they have an inferior replacement and they still arent scoring.

They are desperate for attackers imo, any side that relies on ageing lower league strikers like Sharp and McGoldrick plus McBurnie who hasnt looked up to it in the Prem so far will struggle for goals.

Given there success was built on a fantastic young goalie and a well organised side (credit Wilder for that) i think they will find this season much harder.

2nd season is always harder, they dont have the momentum of promotion and they are still relying on the system over individuals which is fine but they needed an exceptional individual last season and they dont have him now.

Suppose the question is can the very clever Chris Wilder system cover for the loss of a very talented individual?

Imo as things stand it will be very difficult, with 2 or 3 quality signings especially in the attacking positions though then very possibly.

Blades are a well organised side defensively, we are very solid offensively.

They dont score we cant stop conceding.

Should be interesting
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Cjay wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 pm Personally quite like Wilder and what he has done with the Blades, overlapping cbs are cool. They are similar to us with their system being the key in general over the individual.

But the loss of Dean Henderson is huge imo, he was vital to their form last season given they dont score much (only scored more than one goal in 8 or 9 league games i think).

Not saying Henderson is solely responsible but without him it would have been a relegation battle for Blades imo.

Now they have an inferior replacement and they still arent scoring.

They are desperate for attackers imo, any side that relies on ageing lower league strikers like Sharp and McGoldrick plus McBurnie who hasnt looked up to it in the Prem so far will struggle for goals.

Given there success was built on a fantastic young goalie and a well organised side (credit Wilder for that) i think they will find this season much harder.

2nd season is always harder, they dont have the momentum of promotion and they are still relying on the system over individuals which is fine but they needed an exceptional individual last season and they dont have him now.

Suppose the question is can the very clever Chris Wilder system cover for the loss of a very talented individual?

Imo as things stand it will be very difficult, with 2 or 3 quality signings especially in the attacking positions though then very possibly.

Blades are a well organised side defensively, we are very solid offensively.

They dont score we cant stop conceding.

Should be interesting
Good assessment. I've been banging the Henderson drum nonstop since watching both Blunts games. Ramsdale doesn't inspire confidence in his defenders, Egan is OOA, and if any side can take advantage of that it's us in our current goalscoring form.

I just have this horrible nagging feeling that it's all too convenient.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Wilder fan here i'm afraid. :) I even mentioned his name when TC left for the job here. He's a real throwback in many ways, worked his way up the football ladder and done a solid job wherever he's been. Obviously continuing it so far at Sheff Utd. If you ask me he should have been given the Chelski job not Frank. Its who you know and all that.

Make no mistake about it he will want to put one over us on Sunday especially with the extra Yorkshire edge. Bielsa is a big scalp for everyones resume. Who will come out on top in this game of Chess. My money is still on White.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Wilder has done well for them, he's Blunts through and through and is undoubtedly a good manager.

What grinds my gears is his refusal to give Bielsa credit where it's clearly due, and his constant harping about how Leeds get all the media attention while the Blunts don't get the recognition they deserve.

Biased, me? :)