The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 14th October) - Bielsa has clear out at Thorp Arch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 14th October) Cantwell or Sibley

Post by Gandalf »

gessa wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 am Can't see how she is tbh, or at least Norwich, went up, £100m plus from sky, spent next to nothing, just had 25m from Everton, in stages I know, got parachute payments to come.
Only for two years, though, as the Premier League have cottoned on to clubs seesawing , and changed the rules. Still circa £75M isn't bad.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 14th October) - Bielsa has clear out at Thorp Arch

Post by Cjay »

Benrahma has the potential to thrive in the Prem with his tricks and flicks and eye for a goal.

But id rather Raphinha at £17mil over Benrahma for £30mil.

Raph is younger, has played at a higher level whereas Benrahma's best form has come in a 2nd division.

Personally think they are similar players, tricky, pacey wingers.

I like the fact Raphinha chose to come here, giving up Champions League football whereas its widely reported Benrahma is purely motivated by cash.

Also makes it look rather silly we thought we could get Benrahma for £12-15mil.

£30mil imo is to much for a 2nd division player when you consider Raphinha is younger, has played and done well in 2 top European leagues (Portugal and France) and cost £13mil less.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 14th October) - Bielsa has clear out at Thorp Arch

Post by Lumiukko »

Benrahma: 30mill too much. No doubt a decent player but with West Ham's coaching and the step up, we will see if it is good value or not. I'd have certainly taken him at Leeds for max 20 million. I'm sure his wide boy attitude will be a match made in heaven for West Ham.

Buoy: Not Radz and Orta's finest hour.
Grot: Had high hopes but hasn't worked out. Wish him well in his recovery and hope he finds a decent gig to move on to.

Douglas: Likable guy who seems to be appreciated and respected in the dressing room by the other players. Never any outward complaints made either about lack of first team games. Couldn't wish the guy any less than a great move and a success at his next club. No complaints if he wishes to stay at the club as backup, as I think he could do a job for us in an emergency should Dallas get injured/suspended.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

benrahma will just follow in watkins footsteps, both will do well in the premier league, 30m is big bucks but obviously west ham can afford it, bretford will miss those 2 no way will they even make top 6 now, but will have loads of money.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

When I saw the headline 'Bielsa has a clear out at Thorpe Arch' I thought it was the after effects of a dodgy kebab.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Dundalis
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Dundalis »

Cjay wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:40 pm Benrahma has the potential to thrive in the Prem with his tricks and flicks and eye for a goal.

But id rather Raphinha at £17mil over Benrahma for £30mil.

Raph is younger, has played at a higher level whereas Benrahma's best form has come in a 2nd division.

Personally think they are similar players, tricky, pacey wingers.

I like the fact Raphinha chose to come here, giving up Champions League football whereas its widely reported Benrahma is purely motivated by cash.

Also makes it look rather silly we thought we could get Benrahma for £12-15mil.

£30mil imo is to much for a 2nd division player when you consider Raphinha is younger, has played and done well in 2 top European leagues (Portugal and France) and cost £13mil less.
Raphinha was the best player on a CL qualifying team, this is a no brainer. The fact they were able to pull that signing off for that price when you consider his importance to that team playing in the CL is pretty unbelievable. All the international quality players bought would have cost 2-3 times for British equivalents. I'm still surprised some supporters are not sure about the signing because they don't know how he would get in the team. Will take some bedding in, but I'd be very surprised if he's not a locked in first 11 player pretty soon, whether that's taking Costa's place, or moving the wingers around. Could see Harrison being tried central.

Benrahma easily has the talent to be a very good Premier League player, but his off field stuff does make it a sizable risk for that price. But if you have a good European scouting network like we seem to, there's gonna be much better value targets to be had for that price. Hoping they don't panic buy someone like Cantwell, it looks clear the team is in a different market now and can attract quality international level players and even for much cheaper fees.

I'd take Sibley over Cantwell. Cantwell might help more right now, but I think Sibley has a lot more potential. Looks like a genuine goal scoring midfielder, definitely has a shot on him. But only if he comes relatively cheap.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

gessa wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 pm I wonder, does she cook the books
Beat me to that one :roflmao:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 14th October) Cantwell or Sibley

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 am Can't see how she is tbh, or at least Norwich, went up, £100m plus from sky, spent next to nothing, just had 25m from Everton, in stages I know, got parachute payments to come.
Sold Lewis to Newcastle for £12m too