The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 9th November) Bamfords disallowed goal - worst 'in the history of football

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 9th November) Bamfords disallowed goal - worst 'in the history of football

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 9th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds take second hiding in a week

Leeds slipped to 14th in the table as their London jinx seems to have followed them them to the Premiership. Eagles Captain Scott Dann headed Palace into the lead in just 12 minutes, his first goal in three years. Leeds thought they equalised minutes later, but Bamfords arm was adjudged to have been offside (we'll come back to the VAR decision later. To make matters worse, Leeds Summer target Eberechi Eze was having a fantastic time for his South London Club. He has provided the cross to gave Dann the lead, then doubled the scoreline with a curling free lick which crashed into the back of the net via the bar.

Bamford redressed the balance (a little) with a well taken volley from 12 yards after good work from Klich. Leeds luck went from bad to awful with one of the most bizarre own goal you'll see, courtesy of Costa. Even 3-1 down at half time, a draw did not seem unreasonable. Bielsa decided to throw the kitchen sink at Palace in the second half which seemed to be working until Ayew once again caught Leeds on the break.

Post match reactions

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson: "We played very well. It was important we had the tactical discipline that we had and important we played as well on the ball as we did. We took those opportunities well and were very good value for those four goals."

"Wins are hard to come by and when you get one you have to be happy with that success, then come down to earth quick enough so you start from zero the next time you take to the field."

Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa: "It is not only two games, it has been four games where he have conceded four goals. We are receiving a lot of goals.

"It was a fair defeat. It could have been by a shorter distance, the goals of Palace arrived when we looked like getting back into the game. Despite all the goals we are conceding, [Illan Meslier] has been performing to a high level."

Leeds have conceded the most goals in the Premiership

Leeds have now conceded 17 goals in just 8 league games, the worst of any team (joint with West Brom) in the top flight. How will this effect the confidence of Meslier. Remember, he's only 20. Its fair to say Koch had a bad game whilst Cooper's reemergence back into the Leeds starting line up has coincided with Leeds leaking 8 goals in two games.

Opposition teams know they will get chances when Leeds lose the ball. Unfortunately for the Whites, the counter attacks are really hurting Bielsa's men! Does Phillips really make that much difference? Should Llorente be given a chance, once fit from injury?

Bamfords disallowed goal - worst 'in the history of football'

Leeds were robbed of a goal on Saturday when VAR adjudged Bamfords arm to be offside. The Leeds no 9 had his arm outstretched to signal where he wanted it but Mike Dean somehow chalked the goal off. VAR images show Bamford's feet and most of his body behind the deepest Palace defender as the ball was played through. The VAR line shows Bamford's tricep being beyond the line, which is not a part of the body you can score from - per the rules. Fans and pundits alike were quick to slam Dean's absurd decision with many calling it a 'disgrace'.

Robbie Savage said: “It’s quite incredible. That’s the most unbelievable one I’ve ever seen. That is the worst I’ve ever seen. The worst in the history of football.”

Leeds1000
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 9th November) Bamfords disallowed goal - worst 'in the history of football

Post by Leeds1000 »

I would rather watch a team that tries to win a game of football all day long over a team that puts ten men behind the ball and then hopes to feed off scraps, but both can be as effective. If it were me, i would be tempted to stick 2 DM in the side and see how that went. If Marcelo is to persist with the wingers and with the fullbacks up and down, then a bit more cover in the middle may help.

I'm not panicking yet. Our football, what i have seen so far anyhow, is top 6 in quality when we are allowed to play but in this league soft goals is what kills you.

Don't get my going on the Bamford farce. Every football fan in the world as seen it for what it was. A big balls by the officials.
Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 9th November) Bamfords disallowed goal - worst 'in the history of football

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I believe Phillips will make a big difference when he’s back and so will Rodrigo, and with Hernandez available from the bench (don’t think he will start many games this year) we will be a lot stronger. Hopefully Llorente, at £17m, will make a big difference as well when he’s bedded in.

So hopefully these heavy defeats (in the scorelines only, not in general play) may be stemmed when we are back to full strength. But it has now become obvious that most of the teams we play will sit back, pack their defence and wait for an errant pass or miss-control to grab the ball and hit us on break when we have most of our team in and around their penalty area. Eventually Marcelo might have to change our way of playing all out attack in response to these tactics.

The decision that the forearm can be ruled offside when every other part of the body is clearly onside is a new low for VAR, what more can you say?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Again rule 17 states the arm does not count in offside decisions. 1-1 and we score next it's a different game.
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
lowreg11
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by lowreg11 »

Absolutely a different game and great finish by Pat.

Really hope Bielsa calls a press conference to point out how wrong this is. Who is going to disagree with him?!?
mothbanquet

Post by mothbanquet »

Can't we have more than one game a season where our striker and our defence are on form at the same time?! :lol:

But seriously, something's rotten in the world of VAR. I was all for it at the start but now it's slowly killing enjoyment of the game, whether slowing the game down to a golf-pace or making even more ludicrous decisions than there were before it's introduction. And if the game's not being played for the enjoyment of the masses, what good is it?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:59 am Again rule 17 states the arm does not count in offside decisions. 1-1 and we score next it's a different game.
Just as the Koch's handball doesn't at Anfield doesn't apply anymore
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 am Just as the Koch's handball doesn't at Anfield doesn't apply anymore
Tbh, I don't know how you change a rule mid season.
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
mothbanquet

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 am Tbh, I don't know how you change a rule mid season.
Literally making it up as they go along.
BGwhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote: Tbh, I don't know how you change a rule mid season.
You ought to know by now when it's detrimental to Leeds United it's not a problem. How many var decisions over the season are going to cost us ? This utterly ridiculous decision may or may not have resulted in us getting something from the game but it made it more difficult that's for sure. Carry on like this and it sure as hell will keep us amongst the bottom lot.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Byebyegeegee »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 pm You ought to know by now when it's detrimental to Leeds United it's not a problem. How many var decisions over the season are going to cost us ? This utterly ridiculous decision may or may not have resulted in us getting something from the game but it made it more difficult that's for sure. Carry on like this and it sure as hell will keep us amongst the bottom lot.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
I said on a different thread that 8 games in and we are already well on the debit side of VAR. I thought at the start of the season that VAR might level out the playing field a bit for us with regard to poor/bias refereeing decisions, seems I was wrong!
onemoreslogan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by onemoreslogan »

I don't understand how, with the benefit of time and every video replay angle available, one could come to the conclusion that Bamford was off there. I couldn't fathom it at the time it happened, and I still can't days later.

There should be some accountability from the VAR officials in cases like these. I don't mean they should have to stand in front of a microphone or anything, but a written explanation of each decision where VAR overturns a call made on the pitch and the reasons for it should be published after the match.

Not saying it would change anything but one would think it would at least give officials pause before reversing an on-field ruling.
Mick Jones shoulder
First Team
First Team

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Goals do indeed alter momentum, but you seem to forget we still conceded 4 gents. Decision was an absolute shocker but Dean is a w**ker
Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Byebyegeegee »

onemoreslogan wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:37 pm I don't understand how, with the benefit of time and every video replay angle available, one could come to the conclusion that Bamford was off there. I couldn't fathom it at the time it happened, and I still can't days later.

There should be some accountability from the VAR officials in cases like these. I don't mean they should have to stand in front of a microphone or anything, but a written explanation of each decision where VAR overturns a call made on the pitch and the reasons for it should be published after the match.

Not saying it would change anything but one would think it would at least give officials pause before reversing an on-field ruling.
Excellent idea oms.

If it is written into the rules that arms don’t count for offside decisions as faaip has stated (tbh I can’t be bothered to check), then that VAR decision is even more baffling. An incorrect spur of the moment decision from the on field referee is one thing but to get it so wrong with the benefit of technology, time and ability to refer to the rule book is surely inexcusable.

I would love to see Dean’s written explanation for that one!
Mick Jones shoulder
First Team
First Team

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

T shirt line don't know if its long or short sleeved t shirt though :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think that its important to remember it took Pep a season to get the team he needed at City to win the title.

His first season they had the worst defence of the top 3 conceding 39 goals (pretty good really) but the following year and many tens of millions later they conceded 27 and won the league.

I think the simple fact is because of the system we play its not possible to play it without the right players at this level, the deficiencies in the system require better individuals or rather more suited. And until you get that you will concede goals.

You need full backs who are as good going forward as they are going backwards.

You need a goalie who is as good with his feet as he is at making top saves (how many points has Ederson saved City over the years).

You need a top class dm (and it may upset some on here but KP hasnt shown he is that yet at EPL level).

You need 2 top level cbs.

We dont have that yet.

We couldn't build that team in one summer.

Hopefully we can survive this summer, then we can build more.

2 high level full backs right and left.

A top quality goalkeeper.

A proper number 10/8.

And another quality cb enabling us to use Llorente or Koch as dm cover.

I think we did the best we could this summer really, it wasnt perfect but it was ok.

We just have to survive (i hate saying that) and then build.
onemoreslogan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by onemoreslogan »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:48 pm I would love to see Dean’s written explanation for that one!
Exactly my point. And whatever reasons he could offer would be deservedly derided and ridiculed.

In the long run I predict we'd see a chilling effect where VAR tampering is concerned, and more of the in-game decisions would stand. Ultimately, it would result in a better viewing experience.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Leeds take second hiding in a week...Leeds have conceded the most goals in the Premiership
For me it is becoming more evident by the game that we need 2 solid full backs...I have said this in another thread, imagine if we had Paul Reaney and Terry Cooper now, both were years ahead of the game in going forward. Yet had the full back skills of suppressing wingers and tackling, imo it's those full back skills we are lacking.... Also we have to occasionly change up from 4-1-4-1... The one time we played 4-4-1-1 (no Kalvin or Pablo) we destroyed the Villians, Rodrigo behind Paddy was especially a sight to behold.

Bamfords disallowed goal - worst 'in the history of football'
That disgusting call and another by VAR, which influenced the ref's decision... by calling no foul on Paddy as it was outside the box, they could still have shown the ref the footage to make the right call... if they are going to interfere then say "oops sorry not our call,"...then at least ensure the ref is corrected...I think that is only fair that VAR be used to call ref's/linesmen blatant mistakes also.
Lumiukko
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Lumiukko »

It's clear after two big losses in a week that we do need to adapt our approach, and I would suggest a bit more steel in midfield, a few more taps around before unleashing a devastating counter attack. Teams know exactly what we will do as soon as our CBs or FBs get the ball. Problem is we just don't have a settled team so it's hard to know how good we might have been with the missing "A-list" players. That said we're clearly a quality CB, a proper 10/8, and some experienced hands in goal short still. Hopefully in January we can tempt De Paul to join (as I understand it, the deal falling through was at least left on good terms with De Paul so we didn't burn any bridges there).

VAR: not much else to contribute to the discussion. Shocking decision for Bamford's, a view endorsed just about by every fan and pundit. And then for the 'foul' on Bamford, again should be a penalty based on last week's penalty call. You could argue that the latter would be one of those decisions from open play that go for or against you at times, but sine VAR is to see blatant mistakes by the on field referee, I'd say there's no excuse for both cals. I like the idea of an 'umpires call' type of decision like in cricket. With that, at least the goal would have stood, even if the penalty wouldn't have been given, being they were easily in the realms of a referee decision at the speed of the game.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm Goals do indeed alter momentum, but you seem to forget we still conceded 4 gents. Decision was an absolute shocker but Dean is a w**ker
Not how it works...We score and the ball is placed on the centre spot not a FK and we have a different game altogether. Eze doesn't get that FK etc. The dynamic changes also.