Leeds U18's & U23's Match Thread - Champions 2020/21

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds U23 v WBA Kickoff 2pm

Post by Gandalf »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm Why the ambulance?
All sporting venues always need to have at least one ambulances on site in case of injuries that need hospital attention. Hence the call, early on in the pandemic that all sport should be cancelled, as they were taking ambulances away from where they were really needed.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Bally wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:36 pm Not sure of the name but the Leeds number 9 looked an exciting prospect from those highlights
Bobby Kamwa - 20 year old Cameroon born. Played well today. Strong and direct, but really should score more goals. His contract runs out June 2022.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:58 pm Bobby Kamwa - 20 year old Cameroon born. Played well today. Strong and direct, but really should score more goals. His contract runs out June 2022.
Kamwa looks a force but he's probably a ways behind Greenwood and Gelhardt.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 pm All sporting venues always need to have at least one ambulances on site in case of injuries that need hospital attention. Hence the call, early on in the pandemic that all sport should be cancelled, as they were taking ambulances away from where they were really needed.
:tup: :tup: For a moment I thought someone had gotten a serious injury or something.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:19 am Kamwa looks a force but he's probably a ways behind Greenwood and Gelhardt.
Greenwood looked good today from what I saw. I assume Gelhardt is carrying an injury
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Nice game to watch. It was frustraing for a while, probably because Jackson was experimenting with players out of position. Huggins switched from LB to RB, Greenwood from ST to AMC, Kamwa from ST to AMR. Realy good 2nd half though. Nice to see Costa putting in the work and not dropping his head after being on the bench (and not even coming on as sub) on Sunday.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Lumiukko wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:22 am Greenwood looked good today from what I saw. I assume Gelhardt is carrying an injury
Gelhardt was on the bench. I'm assuming it was just a bit of a rotation. With so many first teamers getting minutes it reduced a few spots. Greenwood played in the Gelhardt role but I think it was just a case of Greenwood needing the minutes more.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm Casilla is such a poor keeper.
He didn't do anything wrong. He actually had a decent game today
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:24 am He didn't do anything wrong. He actually had a decent game today
Only fell on his ass instead of stopping their goal.

Which is what he always does, tbe man looks as if he is a seven year old who is afraid of the ball.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:22 am Nice game to watch. It was frustraing for a while, probably because Jackson was experimenting with players out of position. Huggins switched from LB to RB, Greenwood from ST to AMC, Kamwa from ST to AMR. Realy good 2nd half though. Nice to see Costa putting in the work and not dropping his head after being on the bench (and not even coming on as sub) on Sunday.
Costa & Roberts should be making an impact & scoring goals v the likes of WBA reserves/juniors
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:24 am Gelhardt was on the bench. I'm assuming it was just a bit of a rotation. With so many first teamers getting minutes it reduced a few spots. Greenwood played in the Gelhardt role but I think it was just a case of Greenwood needing the minutes more.
Still wondering how long it will be til we see one of the two in the first team squad. I assume one of them will make the bench for an FA cup tie, particularly if it is against a lower division side.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lumiukko wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:18 pm Still wondering how long it will be til we see one of the two in the first team squad. I assume one of them will make the bench for an FA cup tie, particularly if it is against a lower division side.
January maybe Lumi unless we endure a glut of injuries in our striking department

Bamford, Rodrigo & Roberts ahead of those two in the pecking order!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:28 pm January maybe Lumi unless we endure a glut of injuries in our striking department

Bamford, Rodrigo & Roberts ahead of those two in the pecking order!
Really surprised Bielsa hasn't called Gelhardt up yet. Not in the league cup game and not when Rodrigo was injured. Obviously feels he still has work to do.

It was interesting last year. At times we would start Bamford and Roberts and no striker on the bench. And he never put Edmondson on the bench on cover. Looks like it's harder for a striker to make the breakthrough in a Bielsa team than it is for a midfielder or defender
1964white

Re: Leeds U18 & U23's games

Post by 1964white »

Future Fixtures

Under 23's

Mon 13 Dec Aston Villa (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Mon 21 Dec Fulham (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Mon 11 Jan Burnley (A) 2pm Lancashire FA

Mon 18 Jan Stoke City (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Sun 24 Jan Wolves (A) 1pm Aggborough Stadium

Sun 31 Jan Sunderland (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Sun 7 Feb Middlesbrough (A) 1pm Bishop Auckland FC

Mon 15 Feb Reading (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Fri 19 Feb Norwich City (A) 1pm Lotus Training Ground

Mon 1 Mar Crystal Palace (A) 1pm CPFC Academy

Mon 15 Mar Newcastle United (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Mon 22 Mar West Bromwich Albion (A) 2pm WBA Training Ground

Fri 16 Apr Aston Villa (A) 7pm Aston Villa Training Ground

Mon 26 Apr Fulham (A) 7pm Imber Court Sports Club

Mon 3 May Burnley (H) 1pm Thorp Arch

Under 18's

Sat 12 Dec Derby County (H) 12pm Thorp Arch

Sat 19 Dec Manchester United (A) 11am Aon Training Complex

Sat 9 Jan Blackburn Rovers (H) 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 16 Jan Middlesbrough (A) 11am Rockliffe Park

Sat 23 Jan Newcastle United (H) Sat 23rd Jan 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 13 Feb Sunderland (H) 11:30am Thorp Arch

Sat 20 Feb Everton (H) 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 27 Feb Wolves (A) 12pm Compton Park Training Ground

Sat 13 Mar Burnley (H) 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 20 Mar Manchester City 2pm Etihad Campus

Sat 10 Apr Liverpool (H) 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 17 Apr Stoke City (H) 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 24 Apr Derby County (A) 12pm Derby County Training Ground

Sat 1 May Manchester United (H) 11am Thorp Arch

Sat 8 May Blackburn Rovers (A) 11am Brockhall Training Ground
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Shame there's no U23's game for another two weeks. It would have been good to give all the fringe players a run out.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Leeds 3 Aston Villa 2

Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsnVuTnHbGM

Good game today. We had 5 first-teamers play 45 minutes each. Pablo, Davis, Strujik 1st half. Poveda, Roberts 2nd half.

1st Half: Caprile - Drameh, Cresswell, Casey, Davis - Strujik - Kamwa, Hernandez, Greenwood, Huggins - Gelhardt

2nd Half: Caprile - Drameh, Cresswell, Casey, Huggins - Jenkins - Kamwa, Gelhardt, Greenwood, Poveda - Roberts

Kamwa, Roberts (pen), Greenwood (pen) scored

It wasn't a team heavy on first teamers since we only had any of them on the pitch for 45 minutes, but Villa had some good players too - Tom Heaton made a couple of terrific saves.

We dominated the whole game and frustratingly found ourselves 2-0 down on 40 minutes, but got two back before half time. I'd say we had about 70% possession. In the first half I think I counted 3 Villa shots - 2 went in and one hit the crossbar.

Caprile made a bit of a howler for the 1st goal.

Pablo looked really good in midfield. He was fired up, wanting to be a part of everything and showed lots of great long range passes.

Roberts played striker in the 2nd half which shows Bielsa's intent. Gelhardt and Greenwood were playing but he put Roberts up front.

Davis played really well. Definitely pushing for a 1st team start.

Poveda did a bit but I don't think he advanced his cause for a start.

Gelhardt and Greenwood looked good as ever, but both played in midfield which is just part of the club trying to develop their all round games. Kamwa had a good game on the right.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A excellent comeback Andrew

Lets hope Pablo plays a part v the barcodes
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:09 pm Leeds 3 Aston Villa 2

Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsnVuTnHbGM

Good game today. We had 5 first-teamers play 45 minutes each. Pablo, Davis, Strujik 1st half. Poveda, Roberts 2nd half.

1st Half: Caprile - Drameh, Cresswell, Casey, Davis - Strujik - Kamwa, Hernandez, Greenwood, Huggins - Gelhardt

2nd Half: Caprile - Drameh, Cresswell, Casey, Huggins - Jenkins - Kamwa, Gelhardt, Greenwood, Poveda - Roberts

Kamwa, Roberts (pen), Greenwood (pen) scored

It wasn't a team heavy on first teamers since we only had any of them on the pitch for 45 minutes, but Villa had some good players too - Tom Heaton made a couple of terrific saves.

We dominated the whole game and frustratingly found ourselves 2-0 down on 40 minutes, but got two back before half time. I'd say we had about 70% possession. In the first half I think I counted 3 Villa shots - 2 went in and one hit the crossbar.

Caprile made a bit of a howler for the 1st goal.

Pablo looked really good in midfield. He was fired up, wanting to be a part of everything and showed lots of great long range passes.

Roberts played striker in the 2nd half which shows Bielsa's intent. Gelhardt and Greenwood were playing but he put Roberts up front.

Davis played really well. Definitely pushing for a 1st team start.

Poveda did a bit but I don't think he advanced his cause for a start.

Gelhardt and Greenwood looked good as ever, but both played in midfield which is just part of the club trying to develop their all round games. Kamwa had a good game on the right.
Thanks for the link AJS, I enjoyed watching that.
How good was Greenwood's penalty.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Chilli D wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:45 pm Thanks for the link AJS, I enjoyed watching that.
How good was Greenwood's penalty.
Smart penalty. I think Greenwood had a really good game given that he moved back into midfield. Obviously trying to develop his game and create opportunities for him to play in the first team. Same for Gelhardt who gets shuffled between 9,10, and right-wing.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Pablo played well and involved in almost everything in the first half, so hope to see him feature against the barcodes on Wednesday. Greenwood and Gelhardt look the real deal, and really can't be far off a first team match day squad. I am fully expecting them to be there or thereabouts for the FA cup squad.

Any idea what happened to Summerville? Is he suffering from an injury?