Album of 1991 (Part III) - Nick to NOMINATE

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1999 - NOMINATE NOW

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:33 am Best albums by four of my favourite artists makes it a good year for me. Some decent outliers too.
Never a big fan of the 90's, worst decade with any shadow of doubt, redeemed with the emergence of Radiohead 8-) Cranberries, Portishead, PJ Harvey, Fugees/Lauryn Hill, DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Cave & REM provided some enjoyment for me, maybe a few others however the 90's weren't great.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:04 pm Never a big fan of the 90's, worst decade with any shadow of doubt, redeemed with the emergence of Radiohead 8-) Cranberries, Portishead, PJ Harvey, Fugees/Lauryn Hill, DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Cave & REM provided some enjoyment for me, maybe a few others however the 90's weren't great.
Agree in general, but '99 feels more like the start of the next decade/ phase, which has some of my favourite music since the 70s.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:19 am Cheers, saves me nominating it
Pretty easy choice for me, an album I revisit on a regular basis.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:31 am Ditto, also SR. Just need someone to do Tom Waits, Bonnie Prince Billy, and Mogwai, and that's my top five.

Might nominate Dark Star though, just to be unfashionable.
I could do the same with Built to Spill's effort, The White Stripes stripped down debut,Beck's Midnite Vultures, though not his best, maybe. RATM's Battle of Los Angeles was a classic, maybe overplayed these days. Finally, I think, the Sleater Kinney is very very good, surprised Ges didn't go there

Oh the Wilco was good too...Summerteeth
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

I’ll abstain on this occasion please , ‘64 .
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:04 pm Never a big fan of the 90's, worst decade with any shadow of doubt, redeemed with the emergence of Radiohead 8-) Portishead, PJ Harvey, Fugees/Lauryn Hill, DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Cave & REM provided some enjoyment for me, maybe a few others however the 90's weren't great.
Cannot agree with this take. While it wasn't a strong decade for British music, things were great over on this side.

Pixies rattled off a couple of good ones and Frank Black's debut was a nice salve for the breakup. Ritual de lo Habitual came out in '90.
Mascis. Sebadoh...
I remember Gish by Smashing Pumpkins was a revelation when it dropped but then they blew up.
Cracker started straight then went wonderfully bent.
Superchunk, Archers, Cake, Guided by Voices, Giant Sand, Ween, Eliott Smith, Wilco, Natalie Merchant and Liz Phair were all doing great things.

Canadian music was excellent as well with Rheostatics releasing four fabulous albums in succession. Spirit of the West, the Tragically Hip, Rufus Wainwright, Bob Wiseman, Ron Sexsmith, the Inbreds, Eric's Trip, and Bran Van 3000 all emerged or produced some of their best work.

There's plenty more, but that's just a quick list off the top of my head...

Sure, the stuff spinning on commercial radio was largely awful, but the decade holds plenty of highlights for me.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:47 pm Pretty easy choice for me, an album I revisit on a regular basis.
Same here, and Dead Elvis.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Another one that will get a vote from me and probably nobody else:

Richard Thompson 'Mock Tudor'
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:35 pm Another one that will get a vote from me and probably nobody else:

Richard Thompson 'Mock Tudor'
You will get a vote from me, John. :tup:
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:59 pm Cannot agree with this take. While it wasn't a strong decade for British music, things were great over on this side.

Pixies rattled off a couple of good ones and Frank Black's debut was a nice salve for the breakup. Ritual de lo Habitual came out in '90.
Mascis. Sebadoh...
I remember Gish by Smashing Pumpkins was a revelation when it dropped but then they blew up.
Cracker started straight then went wonderfully bent.
Superchunk, Archers, Cake, Guided by Voices, Giant Sand, Ween, Eliott Smith, Wilco, Natalie Merchant and Liz Phair were all doing great things.

Canadian music was excellent as well with Rheostatics releasing four fabulous albums in succession. Spirit of the West, the Tragically Hip, Rufus Wainwright, Bob Wiseman, Ron Sexsmith, the Inbreds, Eric's Trip, and Bran Van 3000 all emerged or produced some of their best work.

There's plenty more, but that's just a quick list off the top of my head...

Sure, the stuff spinning on commercial radio was largely awful, but the decade holds plenty of highlights for me.
You've found a few more I enjoy Onemore, have at least dozen albums between these artists

Frank Black
Giant Sand
Eliott Smith
Wilco
Natalie Merchant
Liz Phair
Rufas Wainwright

Also enjoyed the songs you have posted up recently by Cracker, Tragically Hip & Superchunk

Pixies best albums were in the late 80's

Still don't think the 90's were great but we all have different opinions
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

80's the worst decade by a mile, Craig Finn had that right..97 was a stormer
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

billie1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 pm I’ll abstain on this occasion please , ‘64 .
Cheers Billie :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:17 pm 80's the worst decade by a mile, Craig Finn had that right..97 was a stormer
You could be right, that decade wasn't great too!
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:51 pm I could do the same with Built to Spill's effort, The White Stripes stripped down debut,Beck's Midnite Vultures, though not his best, maybe. RATM's Battle of Los Angeles was a classic, maybe overplayed these days. Finally, I think, the Sleater Kinney is very very good, surprised Ges didn't go there

Oh the Wilco was good too...Summerteeth
Built To Spill and Sleater Kinney were both under serious consideration but I adore the BHP album.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada

Technically a mini album but I'm having it. Their best piece of work, for me.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Love The White Stripes but hopefully someone else will nominate,

Going with my most played album: Blur 13
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:17 pm 80's the worst decade by a mile, Craig Finn had that right..97 was a stormer
The 80s had post-punk, goth and hardcore.

It was the last time music was allied to anything genuinely counter-cultural, and I was young enough to still think it meant something.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

I’ll give this year a miss, the possible two I’d have chosen have been taken
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Built to Spill 'Keep it Like A Secret'
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:39 pm I’ll give this year a miss, the possible two I’d have chosen have been taken
You can still vote in the next stage Finn