Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Manchester United v Leeds United
Manchester United
Manchester United
6–2
Premier League
20/12/2020
Old Trafford
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Manchester United
115
Played
27
Won
38
Drawn
50
Lost
-53
GD
23%
Win %
Away record
54
Played
10
Won
18
Drawn
26
Lost
-46
GD
19%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
20/09/2011 Elland Road 0–3 L Carling Cup 3rd Round ↗
03/01/2010 Old Trafford 0–1 W FA Cup 3rd Round ↗
21/02/2004 Old Trafford 1–1 D Premier League ↗
28/10/2003 Elland Road 2–3 L Carling Cup 3rd Round ↗
18/10/2003 Elland Road 0–1 L Premier League ↗
All-time top scorers vs Manchester United
#PlayerGoals
1 Mick Jones 7
2 Charlie Keetley 5
3 Allan Clarke 5
4 Tom Jennings 5
5 Billy Bremner 5
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Dallas
Def Ayling
Def Cooper ©
Def Alioski
Mid Phillips
For Moreno
Mid Klich
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
SUB Davis
SUB Struijk
Unused Substitutes
-- Poveda
-- Roberts
-- Casilla
-- Costa
-- Hernandez
-- Casey
gessa

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by gessa »

I think it's proven the system works against lesser teams but the better ones know how to beat it, another chapter in what as always been and will continue to be a roller coaster season.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:58 pm It's the midfield that's the issue. Rodrigo pushes higher leaving Klich and therefore Phillips with more to do. Last season we started with Klich and Forshaw in there to tighten things up, maybe we need more options in there.
My thoughts exactly the same. It's set up as a 4-1-4-1, but that means 2 of the 4 should be central midfielders. Like you stated, it started with Phillips, Klich, and Forshaw and has been Dallas in midfield at times.

It morphed with Pablo moving central and then Rodrigo. I think Rodrigo has to keep playing the same role becasue he's class. But with Klich playing the same line there's too much of a gap between the back 5 (defense plus KP). We've seen many games this season with KP getting overrun by 2 or 3 midfielders. To make it work with Rodrigo, we need two holding midfielders. That means Klich has to sit a little deeper.
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by HarryofOz »

A wag from the Guardian online

Did you notice that despite all their 'chances', Man U didn't score a 7th? As if they could not score more than 6?
Have you noticed that Leeds' games have crazy scores?
It's because it's a stitch up.
What happens with games involving Leeds is that both teams roll a die before kick off, and then just fake the match to get the numbers that the dice show, a bit like wrestling.
You might say that dice don't have 0's on them, what I say to you is that if the prime minister goes around sprouting any old cack all the time, why can't I?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Richard wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:25 pm We need Bielsa as survival is the game this season, however I personally don’t believe any other manager would persevere with Alioski and Dallas at RB and LB
Wouldnt want any other manager. I agree that we need better full backs. But we're making gradual upgrades as we establish ourselves and can't make 10 changes in a short space. Alioski plays full back because Ayling has to play central with two international defenders injured. I'd probably be tempted to give Davis a go at LB.

For me its mostly about getting overrun in midfield. We need a 2nd holding midfielder because Kalvin is juts getting overrun in more than half our games.
User avatar
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Anyway, I was gutted after that first 5 minutes but I think I'm over it now

We move on to Burnley and I hope we go out, play our own way and batter them
gessa

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by gessa »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:35 pm Anyway, I was gutted after that first 5 minutes but I think I'm over it now

We move on to Burnley and I hope we go out, play our own way and batter them
And that has to be the thing this season, anything against the top 6 is a bonus, not a necessity but against the bottom 6, it's imperative we win the majority of them
User avatar
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:50 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Richard »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:33 pm Wouldnt want any other manager. I agree that we need better full backs. But we're making gradual upgrades as we establish ourselves and can't make 10 changes in a short space. Alioski plays full back because Ayling has to play central with two international defenders injured. I'd probably be tempted to give Davis a go at LB.

For me its mostly about getting overrun in midfield. We need a 2nd holding midfielder because Kalvin is juts getting overrun in more than half our games.
Last season every time Phillips was out Bielsa would change everyone about so that our best defender Ben White played that role. It’s a weakness of Bielsa he hates team change.

Yes we have two defenders out but Struijk started the first game of the season. Ayling has been outstanding at RB and Dallas adequate at LB... Now we’re in a situation where the majority of the time Ayling is mediocre at CB, Dallas is poor at RB and Alioski is abysmal at LB.

When Llorente and Koch were both injured it should have been as we were and slot Struijk in there at CB. As for the problem with midfield Rodrigo is Spain’s number 9 he was brought in as competition for Bamford.

I call for Rodrigo to be included as I just want to see him on the pitch, I don’t want to see a record £27m player on the bench. Bamford has some goals this season but he’ll miss at least two chances a game that any other teams striker would put away.

How many teams in the PL would swap their striker with Bamford? Harrison is another who has an outstanding 9/10 game then he’ll string 3-4 together where he is pretty poor.

I accept survival is the game, I accept its work in progress but I just get frustrated watching virtually half a team playing out of position.
lufcconnor

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by lufcconnor »

Was quite mad and upset as I began receiving updates on my phone (don't have Sky) but we are a newly promoted side and this project is a work in progress. Onto the next one, let's get a win there.

What a shock! Team selection seemed odd, but I cannot say much as I have only been able to watch highlights online after the match ended.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

lufcconnor wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:00 pm Was quite mad and upset as I began receiving updates on my phone (don't have Sky) but we are a newly promoted side and this project is a work in progress. Onto the next one, let's get a win there.

What a shock! Team selection seemed odd, but I cannot say much as I have only been able to watch highlights online after the match ended.
Welcome to MOT Connor :tup:
lufcconnor

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by lufcconnor »

1964white wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:02 pm Welcome to MOT Connor :tup:
Cheers pal, looking forward to getting to know everyone! What a rollercoaster experience our club can be.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:35 pm Anyway, I was gutted after that first 5 minutes but I think I'm over it now

We move on to Burnley and I hope we go out, play our own way and batter them
I was actually way more disappointed against Palace and West Ham
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:29 pm Our defending is atrocious.
We're an up and down team, win one lose one, etc.
We'll get better in time as the squad gets stronger.
At the moment we're nowhere near the level of the top 6 teams
Point is WR we are basically a championship side, that level today was beyond us
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:52 pm Point is WR we are basically a championship side, that level today was beyond us
Yeah, fully agree mate.

We got spanked.

Let's chin up and move on to the battles that are important for us to win.
gessa

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by gessa »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:46 pm I was actually way more disappointed against Palace and West Ham
Me too, today and Chelsea was expected, those 2 were unacceptable but it's all part of the process. For years we've pined to get here, now we're here let's enjoy what we can
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 pm FULL TIME 6-2

One to forget, Burnley is what matters!
Indeed Adam, Burnley & West Brom games are of much more importance, we mustn't lose to either of them. Hopefully we'll pick ourselves up & acquire the necessary points
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:41 pm On a side note, eight goals. Five scored by McTominay (2), Lindelof, Cooper and Dallas - what odds could you have got on that?
Big odds Harry
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

gessa wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:57 pm Me too, today and Chelsea was expected, those 2 were unacceptable but it's all part of the process. For years we've pined to get here, now we're here let's enjoy what we can
Exactly, we'll get some beating an dish a few out. goes with the territory

We got our medicine today, so let's take it out on Burnleh and WBA.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:46 pm Forget it. Never happened.

Let's get three points from Burnley.
Indeed John

I was over it after three minutes :lol:
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

On the brighter side:

Leeds 17 points from 14 games
WBA & Fulham combined 17 points from 28 games
Leeds1000
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Leeds1000 »

Its all about perspective. I think it was Allan Smith who was talking about expectation on a vid somewhere. If we finish 4th bottom its a successful season for me. If we finish anywhere near mid-table we have over achieved, especially with such a small squad. We just have to except in the PL we will probably lose more than we win, something we have not been used to over the last few seasons.

We have to earn the right to play in the PL before we start getting delusions of grandeur. Yes it was poor today, but Newcastle fans have been saying that for god knows how many years. Its a massive step up in class but on our day we have shown we can match it. It could be worse we could support Arsenal.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply