Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Manchester United v Leeds United
Manchester United
Manchester United
6–2
Premier League
20/12/2020
Old Trafford
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Manchester United
115
Played
27
Won
38
Drawn
50
Lost
-53
GD
23%
Win %
Away record
54
Played
10
Won
18
Drawn
26
Lost
-46
GD
19%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
20/09/2011 Elland Road 0–3 L Carling Cup 3rd Round ↗
03/01/2010 Old Trafford 0–1 W FA Cup 3rd Round ↗
21/02/2004 Old Trafford 1–1 D Premier League ↗
28/10/2003 Elland Road 2–3 L Carling Cup 3rd Round ↗
18/10/2003 Elland Road 0–1 L Premier League ↗
All-time top scorers vs Manchester United
#PlayerGoals
1 Mick Jones 7
2 Billy Bremner 5
3 Charlie Keetley 5
4 Allan Clarke 5
5 Tom Jennings 5
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Dallas
Def Ayling
Def Cooper ©
Def Alioski
Mid Phillips
For Moreno
Mid Klich
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
SUB Davis
SUB Struijk
Unused Substitutes
-- Poveda
-- Roberts
-- Casilla
-- Costa
-- Hernandez
-- Casey
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:50 pm There was an early moment in the match that made me laugh.

The commentator said that the rivalry between us and them goes back to the start of the Premier League. Admittedly he did go on to say 'and beyond that', but it did make me think yet again about how at times some treat the Premier League as the 'start' of football.
Modern commentators only believe football only started with the arrival of Sky & the Premier League
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:51 pm Tonight is a reality check, but some just refuse to be realistic.

We didn’t get anything from a game we weren’t expected to win,

I’m not embarrassed either. We move on to a game we should have a better chance in and I’ll continue to appreciate the mindset and endeavour that I’ve so enjoyed watching these past two years.
Posted on another topic that Manure would probably have far too much quality & pace for us to cope with, realistically it was always going to be a tough ask Davy :tup:
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by White Riot »

WBA smashed again tonight and Livermore sent off
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:54 pm What do some people on this forum want?
Set up not to lose, lose 1-0, not create a chance in reply ?
It’s still a defeat.
I’ve never known us have 17 attempts at goal v scum ever.
Koch and Llorente in defence and Ayling at right back, surely it would have been closer.
It is what it is and it will be the same style against the next opponent.
I would have thought so Finn :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:57 pm I'm not saying we should stick 10 men behind the ball, but why not stick another midfielder in there? We are far too open for teams allowing so much space.
I actually mentioned a couple of weeks ago we may benefit by playing two DM's v certain teams.

Unsure it would have made much difference today though :duno:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

pjbull wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:07 pm Bielsa is getting the maximum out of this team. Phillips is of top 6 team quality and no other players are. Rushing forward in attack is reliant on not giving the ball away cheaply but we have an abundance of players who do this - Raphinha being the worst culprit.
Welcome to MOT pjbull :tup:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:07 pm Very Good Davis!
I've always liked young Davis, thought he did fine when he came on. His run from deep & slide rule pass to Ailoski (I think) was excellent
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:08 pm Why not give him a chance at LB rather than trying to turn him into a CB?
Better as LB imo :duno:
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78996
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:04 pm Agreed, he plays the way that suits the players.
I don't agree because I think we've seen on multiple occasions he adapts players to suit his system. System first and I don't think it's an easy system to alter mid game whomever the players are..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:24 pm I'm not suggesting we do, I wouldnt change the starting XI for Burnley, injuries aside.

But both Chelsea and Manchester United have matched us in terms or energy and with their better players they win their 1v1 battles. Maybe against the top sides we need to be a little more pragmatic. Against everyone else in the league I wouldn't change a thing.
I think Cooper will be a enforced change
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155162
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:40 pm And that has to be the thing this season, anything against the top 6 is a bonus, not a necessity but against the bottom 6, it's imperative we win the majority of them
Very much so :tup:
User avatar
dezzy
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4249
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Cork Ireland

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by dezzy »

A horrible result. Far too easy for them to score. As has been said Burnley and WBA are massive games. Burnley will be tough, but I’d back our lads to pick up 6 from those two games which would put us in such a good position, massive run of games
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Richard wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:51 pm Last season every time Phillips was out Bielsa would change everyone about so that our best defender Ben White played that role. It’s a weakness of Bielsa he hates team change.

Yes we have two defenders out but Struijk started the first game of the season. Ayling has been outstanding at RB and Dallas adequate at LB... Now we’re in a situation where the majority of the time Ayling is mediocre at CB, Dallas is poor at RB and Alioski is abysmal at LB.

When Llorente and Koch were both injured it should have been as we were and slot Struijk in there at CB. As for the problem with midfield Rodrigo is Spain’s number 9 he was brought in as competition for Bamford.

I call for Rodrigo to be included as I just want to see him on the pitch, I don’t want to see a record £27m player on the bench. Bamford has some goals this season but he’ll miss at least two chances a game that any other teams striker would put away.

How many teams in the PL would swap their striker with Bamford? Harrison is another who has an outstanding 9/10 game then he’ll string 3-4 together where he is pretty poor.

I accept survival is the game, I accept its work in progress but I just get frustrated watching virtually half a team playing out of position.
:clap: Well said.

Rodrigo has been capped 25 times as a full international for Spain as a no 9, yet Bielsa has never started him up front. I also think that one of Bielsa's big weaknesses as a manager is that he plays so much of his team out of position. In a way he outsmarts himself. Dallas playing in CM or at RB has not worked, Alioski at LB has not worked, Phillips and Ayling as CBs has not worked, White at DM did not work and Rodrigo was not supposedly brought in to play no 10 - that didn't work today either.

To move on from here I think he needs to start playing players in their natural positions and to maybe use two DMs. Maybe Davis can come in at LB with Ayling moved to his natural position at RB. Hernandez back at no 10 and Rodrigo given a chance at no 9.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3891
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:29 pm My thoughts exactly the same. It's set up as a 4-1-4-1, but that means 2 of the 4 should be central midfielders. Like you stated, it started with Phillips, Klich, and Forshaw and has been Dallas in midfield at times.

It morphed with Pablo moving central and then Rodrigo. I think Rodrigo has to keep playing the same role becasue he's class. But with Klich playing the same line there's too much of a gap between the back 5 (defense plus KP). We've seen many games this season with KP getting overrun by 2 or 3 midfielders. To make it work with Rodrigo, we need two holding midfielders. That means Klich has to sit a little deeper.
Isn't the central midfielder ( Klich ) supposed to play a bit deeper than the no 10 ? I wonder if Hernandez played a bit deeper in the no 10 role than Rodrigo, so that there wasn't such a big gap in the midfield between Klich and Phillips ? Right now there is a gap. If we have two DMs ( Klich and Phillips ) then maybe the no 10 will need to play deeper than Rodrigo tends to do, otherwise there would be a huge gap in midfield.
User avatar
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:17 am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Broad Ford »

Well, well, well. I'm home from work and away from the piss takers laughing at a right old walloping from the red devils.

I would have fielded a 5/4/1 with Paddy up front all alone. I feared that Lucifer himself would carve through the middle of Bielsa's midfield and indeed the red devils did at leasure. Bielsa needs to learn from these heavey maulings and park a few buses here and there.

The difference in quality was there for all to see with the only saving grace being a 6-2 defeat, rather than a 6-0 humiliation.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by whiteswan »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:15 pm In all my 56 years of following United i have never been so disgusted as a team in white shirts playing the manure.The players and the manager need to know what it means to Leeds fans this game.
Disgusted? Please.......
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:02 pm Welcome to MOT Connor :tup:
Ditto.....from one of the laydeeees on the forum :)
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by whiteswan »

White Riot wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:00 pm Exactly, we'll get some beating an dish a few out. goes with the territory

We got our medicine today, so let's take it out on Burnleh and WBA.
YEAH! :) :) :)
Velotrax

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Velotrax »

Was it as bad as the scoreline suggesta, we had a power cut and I lost everything internet etc, , The power has only just come back on !
User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 16442
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: ↑Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:27 pm I don't agree because I think we've seen on multiple occasions he adapts players to suit his system. System first and I don't think it's an easy system to alter mid game whomever the players are..
I'd say that he plays players outside their perceived position, but he has acquired players who can do that.

Yes, his system comes first and he gets the players to play that system, but he also acquires players who suit that system best.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply