The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th January) - Llorente missing from U23s game no cause for concern

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th January) - Llorente missing from U23s game no cause for concern

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm I wonder whose idea it was to offer such a deal :duno:
Surely between VO, AR and AK.
Money side would be less likely to be VO.
In what I calculate to be 4.5 seasons at Real Madrid he made 25 appearances, 12 of which were in cup competitions.
Admittedly RM had a top class GK in place, but I guess Kiko must have played reserve football for most of that period.
My concern at the time we signed him was that his stint at RM signalled he was unable to get a first team place and content to sit on the bench for a good wedge.
Surely if he had ambition he would have moved from RM sooner?
Also a concern that no top side was knocking down the door to secure his services.
Anybody here ever had a 43% pay rise?
Apart from that PL bonus I'm also concerned at the length of the contract we gave him.
Real Madrid must have been doing cartwheeling Oles when they got his wage off the books :$$:
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 12th January) - Llorente missing from U23s game no cause for concern

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:03 pm I wonder whose idea it was to offer such a deal :duno:
Err.....Victor Orta ? Same person who negotiated the JKA ' deal ' most likely.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

White Riot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm Surely between VO, AR and AK.
Money side would be less likely to be VO.
In what I calculate to be 4.5 seasons at Real Madrid he made 25 appearances, 12 of which were in cup competitions.
Admittedly RM had a top class GK in place, but I guess Kiko must have played reserve football for most of that period.
My concern at the time we signed him was that his stint at RM signalled he was unable to get a first team place and content to sit on the bench for a good wedge.
Surely if he had ambition he would have moved from RM sooner?
Also a concern that no top side was knocking down the door to secure his services.
Anybody here ever had a 43% pay rise?
Apart from that PL bonus I'm also concerned at the length of the contract we gave him.
Real Madrid must have been doing cartwheeling Oles when they got his wage off the books :$$:
One way to become a multi millionaire - be a career backup keeper.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm One way to become a multi millionaire - be a career backup keeper.
Yeppers,
Doesn't matter how you perform once that contract's signed ;-)
Ca Ching - one goal conceded :$$:
Ca Ching - two goals conceded :$$:
Ca Ching - Three goals conceded :$$:
Lovely Jubbly :love:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

White Riot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 pm Yeppers,
Doesn't matter how you perform once that contract's signed ;-)
Ca Ching - one goal conceded :$$:
Ca Ching - two goals conceded :$$:
Ca Ching - Three goals conceded :$$:
Lovely Jubbly :love:
He has 24 carat gold tweezers, with the letters KC diamond encrusted into them, to pick the bench splinters out of his arse :P
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:11 pm It doesn't matter who's idea it was... Radz signed off on it, so must have agreed with it, Marcello played him in the team straight away, so he must have agreed with it too...

Hindsight is really wonderfull... :)
Good post, will get ignored as anti agenda
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I think it was Hector :shock:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

White Riot wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am Hopefully we put in a good performance against Brighton.
Three points will be just what the doctor ordered.
If we can get Llorente and Cooper back at some stage and able to gel together, with Ayling at RB then we will have as solid a backline as we can muster until Koch is back.
Dallas is probably our best choice at LB.
Meslier is our goalie and the sooner that clown 🤡 Kiko jets off the better.
I want whoever takes to the field against Brighton to show some pride, courage, determination and belief.
No Phillips, so who plays DCM I don't know after that debacle on Sunday. Probably Dallas with Alioski at LB.
Sunday demonstrated that our options are very limited.
TBF to the lads they have been excellent for the most part this season, despite the hammerings in the PL. I just hope the Cup mentality changes throughout the club. We have reached the promise land with all the riches that go with it. Until we get a mega-bucks owner we will hopefully float around mid-table in the PL for a few years.

Give me a FA cup medal over mid-table PL any day, i really don't understand why players and clubs don't think the same anymore and put the effort in. If it becomes about survival every year the novelty will soon start to wear thin.

After playing him there the other day i hope Marcelo is has convinced has some of us are, that Struijk is not aggressive or mobile enough to start at DM. I think Ayling could do a job in there for us, and i agree Dallas would be disciplined enough if needed. It really is a problem finding anyone else who can really tackle in the Midfield.

After the Brighton fans gobbing off over Ben White it really adds spice to this fixture for me personally. We need to put them back in the box. Without Phillips tho it will be a struggle.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:42 pm So, Casilla is on a basic of 2.6m.

50k a week - not including bonuses
Who would have thought it 50 years ago that salaries in football would be so disgusting. £2.6m for a Championship goalie. You are having a laaarrrffff.
hector

Post by hector »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm I think it was Hector :shock:
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Leeds1000 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 pm Who would have thought it 50 years ago that salaries in football would be so disgusting. £2.6m for a Championship goalie. You are having a laaarrrffff.
There's more money than sense in football - makes me sick really. Look at the ordinary jobs that some of the 1966 World Cup winning team had to do once their playing days were over. I wonder what Gordon Banks was on during his career ? Peanuts probably. I'm not sure that Casilla is even championship standard.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 am There's more money than sense in football - makes me sick really. Look at the ordinary jobs that some of the 1966 World Cup winning team had to do once their playing days were over. I wonder what Gordon Banks was on during his career ? Peanuts probably. I'm not sure that Casilla is even championship standard.
I bumped into Michael Cheetham a few months ago. He used to play for Cambridge United under John Beck when they reached the FA CUP quarter final two years running in the 80's. When he dropped down into non league football at the end of his career I played against him a couple of times, thats how I know him. Anyway, he now drives a lorry for DHL now so that proves that not all football is paved with gold, certainly not back then anyway.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

We got him on a free...so it was probably just a transfer of his current contract that he already held...
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 am There's more money than sense in football - makes me sick really. Look at the ordinary jobs that some of the 1966 World Cup winning team had to do once their playing days were over. I wonder what Gordon Banks was on during his career ? Peanuts probably. I'm not sure that Casilla is even championship standard.
Same here Chapel. Marcus Rashford reportedly worth around £65m at 23. Top players back in the day earned at best the equivalent of around £60,000pa today. I don't know where it all went wrong. They talk about a footballer having a short career is laughable today. Seth Johnson will always have Leeds at heart.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 am Same here Chapel. Marcus Rashford reportedly worth around £65m at 23. Top players back in the day earned at best the equivalent of around £60,000pa today. I don't know where it all went wrong. They talk about a footballer having a short career is laughable today. Seth Johnson will always have Leeds at heart.
Even a Bryan Robson, a Glenn Hoddle or a Graham Souness in the 80s earnt a relatively modest wage compared to today's footballers - maybe £100,000 or so a year. Even in today's money, it wasn't an astronomical amount. An average 1st division footballer in 1985 earnt £1,000 a week.