MB mid term report

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

MB mid term report

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

1. Man management. Totally mis managed the talents of Pablo, dropping him for kicking a water bottle ffs. Kiko again mismanaged, you cannot demote a staff member and expect them to still give their best....should have got rid when banned. JKA, dunno what happened there, he wanted him, but then didnt play him. Overall Assessment : Poor

2. Tactical. Constantly playing players out of position. Sets up the team to attack, with very little thought of defence. Most experts now have the opinion that Leeds are good to watch, but naive. Overall Assessment: Moderate

3. Transfer Market. We have not spent our money wisely. JKA was the best example, but we have squandered lots more cash than on him. Overall Assessment: Poor

4. Game Management. Changing tactics in a game, either to close out a winning position, or retrieve a losing position is non existent. Seems our tactics including substitutions are decided before the match starts and never changes. Overall Assessment: Clueless
hector

Re: MB mid term report

Post by hector »

Are you a scum fan??
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

First season back in the Premier League, 12th in the table on 23 points at the half way mark. The teams that came up with us are 18th and 19th on 13 and 11 points.

I'd say we are doing ok, don't let two bad results cloud your judgement of where we stand.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

As for JKA and the transfer market, is that not Orta's job?

I'd also say he changed tactics and personnel to our advantage today, we came back into the game and created more chances. We just lack quality in depth.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 pm As for JKA and the transfer market, is that not Orta's job?

I'd also say he changed tactics and personnel to our advantage today, we came back into the game and created more chances. We just lack quality in depth.
No I don't think it is, plus we never gave JKA a chance which is on Bielsa as he would have had a big say on him coming. My guess is JKA's personality clashed almost immediately and he was toast. How much we pay for a player interests MB not a jot
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm 1. Man management. Totally mis managed the talents of Pablo, dropping him for kicking a water bottle ffs. Kiko again mismanaged, you cannot demote a staff member and expect them to still give their best....should have got rid when banned. JKA, dunno what happened there, he wanted him, but then didnt play him. Overall Assessment : Poor

2. Tactical. Constantly playing players out of position. Sets up the team to attack, with very little thought of defence. Most experts now have the opinion that Leeds are good to watch, but naive. Overall Assessment: Moderate

3. Transfer Market. We have not spent our money wisely. JKA was the best example, but we have squandered lots more cash than on him. Overall Assessment: Poor

4. Game Management. Changing tactics in a game, either to close out a winning position, or retrieve a losing position is non existent. Seems our tactics including substitutions are decided before the match starts and never changes. Overall Assessment: Clueless
Will give my 2 cents on your comments Peter:

1. Man Management // I did personally agree with the way he handled the Pablo situation. Think the harsh treatment had more to do with Pablo throwing the black armband on the ground than the rest of it.

As for the Kiko situation, there's nobody to blame for what happened than Kiko himself. Can't really blame MB for defending his player in the media.

JKA has struggled for game time at Nantes this season (2 league appearances). Reports say this is mostly due to his fitness and/or attitude. Definitely didn't look fit when he signed for us. If you don't buy in, you don't play.

2. Tactical // His tactics in recent weeks have admittedly confused me. The CB subs at half time against Crawley were ridiculous. Starting Ayling at CB also has to stop.

Overall we wouldn't be where we are without his style of play. His substitutions today were the right ones in all fairness.

3. Transfer Market // I feel like transfers are more Orta's responsibility than Bielsa's. Koch, Meslier, Llorente, Raphinha all look great permanent signings this season (injuries aside) and no team has a success rate of 100% with transfers.

4. Game Management // Similar thoughts to point 2 really. Bielsa's 'Plan B' is Plan A and his 'Plan C' is Plan B.

Would have liked to see him make his subs at half time today rather than flapping around for another 15 mins.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 pm As for JKA and the transfer market, is that not Orta's job?

Totally agree mate, but the strength in depth or rather the lack of it worries me
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 pm No I don't think it is, plus we never gave JKA a chance which is on Bielsa as he would have had a big say on him coming. My guess is JKA's personality clashed almost immediately and he was toast. How much we pay for a player interests MB not a jot

Orta is responsible for signings, there was a lot in his history to suggest he might not be a 'Bielsa' player. Should we have done better due diligence? I sot of feel like that experience may have led to us pulling out of the Cuisance deal this summer. A player who would have vastly improved our squad in my opinion.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It was intimated at the time that we had moved on from Adams to JKA as Bielsa had identified him as a player he wanted...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Velotrax wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 pm Totally agree mate, but the strength in depth or rather the lack of it worries me

We ended th game today, as we have so many this season with a Championship XI

I love the likes of Dallas, Ayling, Klich, Harrison etc but they are playing at a level so much higher than we ever expected of them. We can't expect it week in week out. The middle of midfield and lack of options up front worry me. And that perhaps is Bielsa's major weakness, he reliance on the same players, not wanting a deep squad.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:44 pm First season back in the Premier League, 12th in the table on 23 points at the half way mark. The teams that came up with us are 18th and 19th on 13 and 11 points.

I'd say we are doing ok, don't let two bad results cloud your judgement of where we stand.
Yeah agree. Imo we are overachieving thanks to Bielsa. Imo we should still be mid-table in the Championship with these players.

However we need to adapt to playing at a higher level with better players. Too much sentimentality and relying on what happened in the Championship isn't going to cut it.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm It was intimated at the time that we had moved on from Adams to JKA as Bielsa had identified him as a player he wanted...

I think he was keen on Adams too but that was a non starter, he certainly expressed that JKA had attributes he desired and had followed him in the past. On paper it was a good signing, we never really got the chance to find out if it could ahve been.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm We ended th game today, as we have so many this season with a Championship XI

I love the likes of Dallas, Ayling, Klich, Harrison etc but they are playing at a level so much higher than we ever expected of them. We can't expect it week in week out. The middle of midfield and lack of options up front worry me. And that perhaps is Bielsa's major weakness, he reliance on the same players, not wanting a deep squad.
As I said before the lack of depth is showing now, I'm not going to slag off any player, or for that matter Radz, Orta, or MB, but it feels like the aim was to get to the Prem, which we have done, and I'm over the moon we achieved it, but the bigger picture for me, is to be competitive in the Prem and maybe Europe, but with the squad we have that is never going to happen
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think there is a lack of depth but an antipathy to promote like for like from below..if you're good enough you're old enough
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm I don't think there is a lack of depth but an antipathy to promote like for like from below..if you're good enough you're old enough
I'll beg to differ mate, we need more players in the squad, I think we are one of the smallest squads in the top 2 leagues
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Velotrax wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:39 pm I'll beg to differ mate, we need more players in the squad, I think we are one of the smallest squads in the top 2 leagues
25 man squad isn't it ..
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:41 pm 25 man squad isn't it ..

Plus the 'homegrown' players.

We've a squad of 29, but that includes the likes of Greenwood, Huggins, Gelhardt, Jenkins, Cresswell, Casey and Caprile.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm 1. Man management. Totally mis managed the talents of Pablo, dropping him for kicking a water bottle ffs. Kiko again mismanaged, you cannot demote a staff member and expect them to still give their best....should have got rid when banned. JKA, dunno what happened there, he wanted him, but then didnt play him. Overall Assessment : Poor

Ridiculous comment. 100% has flaws and has strange ways but poor and clueless?? :lol:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

18 man squad and two of them (Forshaw and Berardi) won't play at all this season!
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

I think we have 16 or 17