The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd February) Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd February) Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 23rd February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal

Italian website Calcio Mercato24 are claiming that Juventus may be willing to let Brazilian International Douglas Costa join the Whites, but only in exchange for Rodrigo. Costa is surplus to requirements at the Allianz Stadium and is currently out on loan to Bayern Munich. The 30yo has 18 months of his contract remaining, so Manager Andrea Pirlo will be keen to move the striker on in the Summer. Record signing Rodrigo has had a steady start to his Premiership career, but few would say he has set the World on fire. Leeds record signing turns 30 next month.

Costa is valued at £21.5m. Can a deal be done? Should a deal be done? What would you do?

Saints journo praises Bamfords awful to ruthless transformation

Saints journalist Steve Grant has been sharing his thoughts on Patrick Bamfords amazing transformation over the last six months, and how the former Chelsea hit man went from 'basically awful' to 'ruthless'.

I find it absolutely baffling that Patrick Bamford has suddenly turned into a good striker. Obviously, Chelsea paid decent money to sign him as a 15-year-old from Nottingham Forest and they then farmed him out on loan five or six times, and he was basically awful everywhere and he wasn’t even that great for Leeds last season.

They would have absolutely run away with the league and had it sewn up before the lock down if he’d been in the same form as he has been this season and yet something’s just clicked in him this season and all of a sudden he’s not just a ruthless striker but he also shows him an awful lot of intelligence I think in terms of his runs, dragging defenders out of the way which then allows other players like Raphinha and Rodrigo when he’s been fit to run into those gaps and create chances through other avenues.

Whelan questions Roberts 'fight and desire'

During a recent interview with 'Football Insider' former Leeds striker Noel Whelan gave his thoughts on Tyler Roberts, and whether the former Baggies hit man deserved a new contract when his expires in the Summer of 2022. Whelan certainly pulled no punches justifying that he thought Roberts fitness levels were below par and questioned his fight and desire!

While he is young I do not think he is of the required level. His fitness levels did not look great the other day either. He did nothing after 20 minutes. That is a substitute’s performance. We need a player who can play 90 minutes. Roberts has been injured too often. He was even injured when we signed him.

Is he good enough? In my opinion he isn’t. I would love him to go out there and prove me wrong because I want everyone to succeed. I need him to show me more. He needs to show more fight and desire. I just do not see that. It makes me wonder whether he would be better off leaving and going somewhere where he would get regular game time.

He had one good performance against Hull last season. That is it. I do not think we have seen the real Tyler Roberts yet. I find it very hard to see a career for him at Leeds United on the current evidence.

Bielsa - reevaluate position at the end of the season

Marcelo Bielsa has revealed that he wants Leeds to reevaluate his Managerial situation at the end of the season, now get tied down now. The 65yo made it clear that he wasn't trying to delay the situation, nor did it mean that the club had more desire than him to stay.

The first thing I want to highlight, because what it seems like is that the president is offering me an extension and I am delaying it. It could be interpreted as the club having more of a desire for me to stay than I do and that's not the case. In no way do I want to position myself above the club. I reiterate, I am not going to manage any other options until my job here at Leeds is done. There is no speculation from my part."

The second thing is that the decision to work in a club for another year is so important that you must have a clear security. When you have a third of the season left to play, perhaps in this period there will be things that happen that will alter the judgement that is useful to have in mind. That is my reasoning. So I go to what you ask me. If the club needs an answer before the end of the season, I will respond before the end of the season.

But if this happens I will take the time to tell them that they should consider what happens in the last part of the season. In this case, it's possible that they could say to me 'ok, we'll wait until the end of the season', or they may say to me 'no, we need to resolve this before the end of the season. If they need a response prior to the end of the season then I will give one.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd February) Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal

Post by The Subhuman »

21M is way too expensive for a 31 yr old ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd February) Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal

Post by HarryofOz »

Luckily for Roberts, Whelan spent all of last season rubbishing Bamford
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

We’ve already got one Costa who is really not pulling up any trees why would we want another?

But seriously what advantage would it be for us to swap Rodrigo, who is showing a little bit of promise, for someone who is surplus to requirements and therefore deemed not good enough to play for Juventus? If he’s not good enough to play for them why should he be good enough to play for us? Probably just speculative/lazy journalism anyway.

Bamford’s “goal” against Wolves was absolutely ruthless, no stopping that till it hit the back of the net. Very impressed with him so far this year.

I think Roberts tries hard, shows some nice touches and neat play but never really seems to have much effect on the game as a whole. I, personally, wouldn’t lose much sleep if he was sold to the Championship or somewhere.

If Bielsa’s wife has joined him in a permanent move then that is obviously a good sign. But it means that Bielsa’s tenure at Leeds will be dependent on whether his wife settles here which may not be a good sign.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TBF I wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold any player anywhere.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal
A 30 year old for a 30 year old?...Our 30 year old is showing signs of settling and fitting in...Thiers isn't wanted...If if did happen it would have to be swap plus cash... Seems like a desperate play by Juventus to me...Keep him.

All the praise he is recieving is well deserved, a late bloomer, but sure came at the right time for us with MB

Does not do a young payers confidence any good to be reading such articles... But at his age he should be saying "F you I will show you"... I still believe there is something in the lad.... He just better start showing it consistently...and quickly.

Very confident he is staying...I think Radz is also...One thing you always get the truth from MB.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 am Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal
A 30 year old for a 30 year old?...Our 30 year old is showing signs of settling and fitting in...Thiers isn't wanted...If if did happen it would have to be swap plus cash... Seems like a desperate play by Juventus to me...Keep him.

All the praise he is recieving is well deserved, a late bloomer, but sure came at the right time for us with MB

Does not do a young payers confidence any good to be reading such articles... But at his age he should be saying "F you I will show you"... I still believe there is something in the lad.... He just better start showing it consistently...and quickly.

Very confident he is staying...I think Radz is also...One thing you always get the truth from MB.
He's put in some great shifts for Wales, and particularly good hold up play....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:28 am Juve willing to let Costa join Leeds but only for swap deal

He's put in some great shifts for Wales, and particularly good hold up play....
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

What Bielsa says makes sense. He's probably thinking that if we don't perform adequately until the end of the season the club might not want him. I like the statement that he wouldn't consider any other options until his job at Leeds is done, by which I assume he means until he can take us no further, but I wouldn't expect anything less from him. Not sure what to read into his wife moving over, but hopefully it means he's thinking he'll be here long term.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Today is like a big breakfast debate.

3 sausages, 3 x hash brown, beans, mushrooms, 2 x fried slice, black pudding, 2 x eggs, grilled tomatoes, and 4 rashes of bacon, and of course a big cup of coffee.

So many places down here don't do fried slice or black pudding any more....

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 am Today is like a big breakfast debate.

3 sausages, 3 x hash brown, beans, mushrooms, 2 x fried slice, black pudding, 2 x eggs, grilled tomatoes, and 4 rashes of bacon, and of course a big cup of coffee.

I see the new fitness regime is going well. :roflmao:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Ellandback1 wrote:

Today is like a big breakfast debate.

Stop it Matt - I'm starving. Fried slice and black pudding calling :)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Back to the players - I don't particularly want a reject, even from Juventus. There could be all kinds of reason for that - attitude, laziness, whatever. :tdown:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Norm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:07 am Back to the players - I don't particularly want a reject, even from Juventus. There could be all kinds of reason for that - attitude, laziness, whatever. :tdown:
Every player is a reject from somewhere, unless they're homegrown academy.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

That's one of the most well presented fry-ups I've ever seen :tup:
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

SaraM wrote:
Norm wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 am
Back to the players - I don't particularly want a reject, even from Juventus. There could be all kinds of reason for that - attitude, laziness, whatever. :tdown:
Every player is a reject from somewhere, unless they're homegrown academy.
Some truth in that, but they're not rejects if they want to move on to a better club/escape from a bad club or if their contracts are up and they don't want the same-old, or just fancy pastures new.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Norm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 am Some truth in that, but they're not rejects if they want to move on to a better club/escape from a bad club or if their contracts are up and they don't want the same-old, or just fancy pastures new.
Unfortunately we've had a lot of dross in the past, journey men or others trying to reignite their careers. We've had very little success in that area, with the occasional gem. In terms of MB, the club need to plan for life without him, as I feel he won't be hanging around for too much longer.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 am Today is like a big breakfast debate.

I said to Mrs Chilli last night after Boris' speech that as soon as cafe's are open, we are going somewhere for a full English
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

On the Costa debate, I'd have no problem with the prospect of a player swap if the player was more suitable...like a central midfielder.

But the reality is, any quick Google suggests he's on twice the salary of Rodrigo. That, more than anything, should scupper any prospect of a deal...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Douglas Costa.

Injury prone and expensive, Victor will be desperate to sign him.

However, cant see us signing him, to old and Bielsa doesnt tend to like older players.

Roberts.

He will never make it here and its clear Bielsa isn't convinced by him from his interview.

Roberts to me is a player who thinks he is better than he is, lacks the desire to improve that many of his teammates have shown hence why he is one of the few players who have barely improved under Bielsa.

Paddy.

Deserves the praise, has worked hard to improve himself, Roberts could learn from Paddy.

Bielsa.

Makes sense to wait for all parties, see if the club and Bielsa have the same ambition at seasons end.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom