The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th February) - Rampant Leeds add to Southampton's misery

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th February) - Rampant Leeds add to Southampton's misery

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning, it's Wednesday 24th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Rampant Leeds add to Southampton's misery

Leeds got back to winning ways in style following a captivating second half display reminiscent of their glory days. After a captivation first 45 minutes, full of incident involving a disallowed goal, penalty u-turn and last ditch tackle, (albeit tackle of the season) the half finished in stalemate, but the flood gates were about to open. Bamford broke the deadlock a couple of minutes after the interval. Leeds leading scorer latched onto Roberts through ball, timing his run perfectly before calmly slotting the ball between the defenders legs and beyond the keepers reach.

From this point onward, it was almost one way traffic, though history will remind us that a 1-0 scoreline is never enough when it comes to Leeds. Dallas doubled the scoreline twelve minutes from time. The Northern Ireland International found the corner of the net following a surging run from a rejuvenated Costa. The icing on the cake came six minutes from time. Raphinha's 25 yard free kick beat McCarthy at his near post. Awkward dipping free kick, but you'd expect a keeper of McCarthy's class to perhaps do better.

What did you think of Llorente's first full game for the club? Is it 15m well spent? Did he make a difference?

Post match interviews

Leeds Manager Marcelo Bielsa

Southampton Manager Ralph Hasenhuttl

The penalty decision

The penalty decision in the first half has angered many Leeds fans on social media. Saints midfielder Nathan Tella went to ground in the penalty insisting that Leeds defender Diego Llorente had bought him down. Originally the man in black Andre Marriner pointed to the spot, but after consulting with VAR, decided to review the decision. Thankfully for Leeds, Llorente had the experience to know what was happening and withdrew his leg from anywhere near the 21 year old.

Once Marriner had disallowed the spot kick, the game continued as normal. Tella was not booked, nor was he given a talking to. What kind of message does this send to the millions of youngsters watching the game?

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th February) - Rampant Leeds add to Southampton's misery

Post by mothbanquet »

Big win without KP, which is just what we needed. I think, and no disrespect to our other players, but if anyone else had taken on Tella they would've given away the pen or at least not been able to make it look like the dive it was. Aside from a couple of rusty moments Llorente was very good and I'm chuffed to bits one of our summer buys has managed to get a full game under his belt.

Tella should've been booked without question. I had a feeling it was coming because he seems the type to dribble at an opponent but not too much idea of what else with all the dead ends he ran down throughout the same after his early chance.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th February) - Rampant Leeds add to Southampton's misery

Post by danhirons »

I think they probably need to tighten the rules on giving our yellows for diving because technically tella didn't dive...he just cleverly made sure his leg hit the leg of coops...

I think perhaps the rule change to attempting to deceive the referee warrants a yellow might then cover the tella case last night and warrant a yellow...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:35 am Big win without KP, which is just what we needed. I think, and no disrespect to our other players, but if anyone else had taken on Tella they would've given away the pen or at least not been able to make it look like the dive it was. Aside from a couple of rusty moments Llorente was very good and I'm chuffed to bits one of our summer buys has managed to get a full game under his belt.

Tella should've been booked without question. I had a feeling it was coming because he seems the type to dribble at an opponent but not too much idea of what else with all the dead ends he ran down throughout the same after his early chance.
Handing out red cards would soon eliminate players cheating
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl said 'clever' fouls from Leeds on Saints counter-attacks played a huge part in the final result.

"They're very clever," he said in his post-match press conference. "They always stopped our counter-attacks with a simple foul in the midfield. It stops everything. They do it very smart. They have been nasty today and we haven't been in the second half. We were in the first half but in the second half we were a nice opponent who delivered chances and gave them three points.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl said 'clever' fouls from Leeds on Saints counter-attacks played a huge part in the final result.

"They're very clever," he said in his post-match press conference. "They always stopped our counter-attacks with a simple foul in the midfield. It stops everything. They do it very smart. They have been nasty today and we haven't been in the second half. We were in the first half but in the second half we were a nice opponent who delivered chances and gave them three points.
Hey Ralph, Tesco's has a special on tissues this week.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl said 'clever' fouls from Leeds on Saints counter-attacks played a huge part in the final result.

The same kind of foul on Costa (I think?) that Djenepo was booked for, Ralph?
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Tella cheated simple as that, definite booking for simulation.

Llorente did well throughout but also a big shout out to both Roberts and Costa, who have both taken a bit of stick from fans recently, me included.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

I sense a 'Dirty Leeds' tag on the horizon.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

gessa

Post by gessa »

Saints and Sinners

No mention of the dirty diving cheat he picks to play
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 am Hey Ralph, Tesco's has a special on tissues this week.
I nearly needed some watching Raphinha last night
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

It’s a delightfully mad season:
Same number of wins as Liverpool
Same number of losses as Fulham
Only 4 teams have scored more
Only 1 team has conceded more
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Thats the nicest way we have ever been called "Dirty Leeds" .... :rol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Llorente

What did you think of Llorente's first full game for the club?

Bit rusty at first but grew into the game, his passing range was key in the end in helping us break the Southampton press. He also did phenomenal in making the dive look like a dive. Imo none of our other defenders would have been able to do that, benefit of Llorente coming from a league where diving is even more common maybe.

Is it 15m well spent?
Far to early to say, he did well but for £17mil i think it was you need to do that often and consistently.

Did he make a difference?

Yes, we looked more solid with him in the team.

The pen.

It was a dive, the Southampton fans on their forum said it was also. Its a shame young players think that sort of thing is acceptable but the authorities dont seem to want to stamp it out so hey ho.

The fact Sky Sports show you a "fouls won" stat tells you everything. You shouldn't "win" fouls", its not an achievement to "win a foul".
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Is Luke Grealish i mean Ayling ok. He is good at cutting across defenders is our Luke. Its part of the game these days. There is a lot at stake so any advantage is to be grasped. That's why me personally i'm not going in too hard on their Kid Tella, is that how you penn it. It was his first start so that tells you how much its crept into the game because he's at it already. I have seen Bamford fall over for a lot less.

Great result yesterday. Listening to a short interview from Dallas on youtube he talked about Phillips and his close relationship with his Granny. He said, if one of us is hurting, we are all hurting. Warm words indeed.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:38 pm benefit of Llorente coming from a league where diving is even more common maybe.
Didn't consider that but it definitely makes sense to me.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:01 am I nearly needed some watching Raphinha last night
:) :roflmao:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.