MB Post Villa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

MB Post Villa

Post by Cjay »

Konsa and Mings impressive?

I already answered this question. If I was responsible for Villa, I would say they defended very well. As the manager of Leeds, with what happened today, it’s natural I observe the virtues of my team not the opponent’s. I believe, like I said, we lacked the final pass. We lacked imagination to create unbalance in the final metres. And we lacked precision when we had to cross from out wide into the box. Normally, I don’t talk about the limitations of one game in particular, especially to attribute them to the virtues of the opponent. I obviously do believe they defended well in the second half.

Targett lucky to stay on the pitch?

To comment on what you are talking about, I would have to evaluate the referee and so I prefer not to do this.

How do you manage the next nine days after heavy workload for players before now?

There are many objectives. We want to have more players in the squad by recovering those who are injured. The players that have been playing who have niggles can resolve them. In general, to manage the next nine days they can rest a little.

Key to consistency for this side?

I analyse every game we play. Today was an excellent opportunity to win two games in a row. We played a game where we did not deserve to lose. The key is to win games successively. When we don’t win that allows us to build on the previous victory, I try to explain what impeded us from doing that, which is what I have done today.

Nine days until West Ham - any chance of absent players returning?

To say this nine days in advance would be too risky.

What did you say to Emi Martinez before the match?

We just said hello, we’re compatriots.

What was your motivation for taking Harrison out of the starting line-up tonight?

No, the second half of Helder against Southampton made me think it was a good opportunity to give him a start.

Change your mind on a half-time change?

No.

How much credit to Villa for their defence?

I’m going to respond in two ways. To evaluate how Villa defended, I would say they defended very well. I prefer to evaluate in the way we attacked. We had many, many, many balls to attack them. One thing was positive: we only lost the ball in the final third. Having had so much of the ball at our disposal in the final third, what you need in that final third is precision in the pass. Whether that be from out wide into the box, or from outside the box, into the box. It could be interpreted as they defended well our final pass. Or you could say what I think is we lacked imagination and precision in that final pass.

Costa thoughts

It was very difficult to generate an imbalance in attack. He participated in the first half where we attacked better. In the first 15 minutes of the second half we were struggling to create danger, so I opted for Harrison.

Bielsa's here - not inspiring - why not top gear today?

In the game, we played better than the opponent. We had many minutes of dominance. Very few where we were dominated. In the first half we created more chances than they did, even if they scored a goal. The goal was a chance which was not intentional. A shot in which a player’s slips into a pass for a player not even asking for the ball. In general lines, the first half we should have been ahead given the chances we had, but we defended as well in the first half as we did in the second. In the second half, we defended very well. We had the ball almost all of the second half, but we created little danger. The ball always finished in the opponent’s box. We didn’t concede any counter-attacks. We lost the ball in the final third. All the crosses, passes from out wide, into the centre, were imprecise. In the set-pieces, of which we had plenty, we were also not managing out best. To summarise, it was a game we did not deserve to lose. The draw would have been something more logical. If there had to be a winner it should have been us. I do agree with you, in the first half we created six chances at goal. A good number. With the dominance more shared and in the second half we had total dominance and only created one.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: MB Post Villa

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Pretty much right as usual on everything there. We were just poor. Poor going forward, poor crossing, poor corners and yes Villa defended well. Our imagination going forward for once deserted us. For all their good work against Southampton, Costa & Roberts remain unable to to cement their place and will drop out of the side when everyone returns. I can't see a future for them with us going into next season. Not if we are serious about pushing on. Klich after the first few games of the season for whatever reason has been largely poor also. Is he going to be one of the few who could also pay the price next season? There will have to be a huge improvement from here on in from him to convince me he can cut it in this league and not go down to just playing a bit part next year.

Disappointed Pablo only got 20 minutes once again but I think we all know his time with us is up. A great shame. Nobody could take the game by the scruff of the neck and could provide the intelligence required to unlock Villa. Sitting on the bench for 70 minutes did our cause no good whatsoever. It sometimes feels easy in defeat to see where we went wrong and for large spells of last night it seemed glaringly obvious we needed something only Pablo can provide to break through. I felt at the very least he should have been given the whole second half to change things but hey ho Bielsa knows best.

I don't agree on Bielsa's last point that El Ghazi wasn't asking for the ball. He clearly asked for it by raising his hand before the cross came in and he timed his movement well. Unfortunately for us Costa is caught cold and the ball ends up in the net. It's not all doom and gloom obviously though as we know how good we are going forward will easily outweigh the kind of effort going forward we saw last night.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Pablo has never been forgiven

I'd have a bet with any of his knockers & those who rate Klich , Roberts, Alioski & Costa that Hernandez would actually produce something more constructive resulting in goals if he was given a start or at least 60 minutes playing time, our little talisman has been treated completely unfairly :x

Leeds have a habit of disrespectfully abandoning our best players with our fans drumming up players with less ability who are clearly not good enough :(
hector

Post by hector »

So what you are saying is that MB is crap at his job
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 am So what you are saying is that MB is crap at his job
Didn't even mention Marcelo :o

Just as with Pablo we wouldn't be in the PL if not for Bielsa
hector

Post by hector »

But it is Marcello who picks the team each match, and who decides which postition etc
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 am Pablo has never been forgiven

I'd have a bet with any of his knockers & those who rate Klich , Roberts, Alioski & Costa that Hernandez would actually produce something more constructive resulting in goals if he was given a start or at least 60 minutes playing time, our little talisman has been treated completely unfairly :x

Leeds have a habit of disrespectfully abandoning our best players with our fans drumming up players with less ability who are clearly not good enough :(
Absolutely spot on.

Klich been dreadful recently, either he's carrying a knock or just out of form. Let's hope we can get some of our talent back.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

It's strange that some are mortified and very defensive about the idea of ditching and upgrading on some of the journeymen players who got us promoted and yet don't seem to give too much of a hoot about the Spanish wizard who did more than most to get us in the PL - for us the outstanding player during the last two seasons in the championship.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

hector wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:28 am So what you are saying is that MB is crap at his job
People can question team selections surely without it being interpreted that by doing so they are automatically accusing MB at being crap at his job ?

Why are people so overly defensive about Bielsa ? He gets paid 6m a year to take on the pressure of the job, which inevitably includes scrutiny of team performances and selections by the fans who pay to see the team play.That's the same with every club in the country.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think people read too much into the Pablo supposed spat. People seem to want MB to select the youth to see if they are any good yet don't want the 1 player dropped who is sadly at the twilight of his career and won't be with us next year. If we were scrapping for our lives at the foot of the table then yes it would make sense to play Pablo as a moment or two of magic might be the difference between staying up or going down but as we are fairly much safe in midtable it makes far more sense that MB gives Roberts and Costa starts so that he can assess whether they are part of the plans for next season - similarly hooking them off early is not going to give those 2 any confidence that Bielsa believes in them and also Bielsa will learn more about them by seeing how they play when we are struggling than by seeing them play when we are cruising in a game (as we were for example last season v Hull when Roberts came on and scored a couple of goals against a demoralised Hull side with Leeds completely on top).

I think we have to accept the fact that if Bielsa is planning for next year (and surely we all want that as it indicates he is staying) then results are not the priority now but seeing which players are good enough and which need to be placed. Bielsa likes his small squad but if we are to have an 18 man squad then there isn't much room for passengers.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:40 am It's strange that some are mortified and very defensive about the idea of ditching and upgrading on some of the journeymen players who got us promoted and yet don't seem to give too much of a hoot about the Spanish wizard who did more than most to get us in the PL - for us the outstanding player during the last two seasons in the championship.
Yep well said.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 am I think people read too much into the Pablo supposed spat. People seem to want MB to select the youth to see if they are any good yet don't want the 1 player dropped who is sadly at the twilight of his career and won't be with us next year. If we were scrapping for our lives at the foot of the table then yes it would make sense to play Pablo as a moment or two of magic might be the difference between staying up or going down but as we are fairly much safe in midtable it makes far more sense that MB gives Roberts and Costa starts so that he can assess whether they are part of the plans for next season - similarly hooking them off early is not going to give those 2 any confidence that Bielsa believes in them and also Bielsa will learn more about them by seeing how they play when we are struggling than by seeing them play when we are cruising in a game (as we were for example last season v Hull when Roberts came on and scored a couple of goals against a demoralised Hull side with Leeds completely on top).

I think we have to accept the fact that if Bielsa is planning for next year (and surely we all want that as it indicates he is staying) then results are not the priority now but seeing which players are good enough and which need to be placed. Bielsa likes his small squad but if we are to have an 18 man squad then there isn't much room for passengers.
Fair point about reading to much into the supposed spat. Pablo wasn't getting much game time at the start of the season so that could well prove your point. I just think until we are certain of safety perhaps we shouldn't take anything for granted. Pablo for me would have given us the best chance of getting something from the game yesterday, not Roberts. Someone said earlier that they thought Tyler is trying too hard. I agree. Someone also mentions his general demeanour and that rings true too. I think we forget Bielsa has worked with Roberts for nearly 3 years now though and to still be giving him a chance must mean he sees something or a place for Roberts in his squad I presume. Or it could be simply that the spat is just that, but as far as Bielsa is concerned Pablo overstepped the mark like Pontus did and that was enough for him and until Pablo leaves Roberts will be ahead of him by default.

I'm all for planning for next year but I think we should get the required points now by playing the best side available and bringing on the best players in situations we find ourselves in in games to garner those points. There will be plenty of times after safety is assured when we are up against it and facing defeat to assess how players can perform in those circumstances and to see how they handle it. 12 games left, 2 more wins soon and hopefully we can bring in some on the verge of the first team to see how it goes.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
hector

Post by hector »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:47 am People can question team selections surely without it being interpreted that by doing so they are automatically accusing MB at being crap at his job ?

Why are people so overly defensive about Bielsa ? He gets paid 6m a year to take on the pressure of the job, which inevitably includes scrutiny of team performances and selections by the fans who pay to see the team play.That's the same with every club in the country.
Of course people can question team selections... But my response was to '64 and was justified in the context of what he was saying.

I am not defensive about Bielsa... read my last sentence to see the context of that.......
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 am I think people read too much into the Pablo supposed spat. People seem to want MB to select the youth to see if they are any good yet don't want the 1 player dropped who is sadly at the twilight of his career and won't be with us next year. If we were scrapping for our lives at the foot of the table then yes it would make sense to play Pablo as a moment or two of magic might be the difference between staying up or going down but as we are fairly much safe in midtable it makes far more sense that MB gives Roberts and Costa starts so that he can assess whether they are part of the plans for next season - similarly hooking them off early is not going to give those 2 any confidence that Bielsa believes in them and also Bielsa will learn more about them by seeing how they play when we are struggling than by seeing them play when we are cruising in a game (as we were for example last season v Hull when Roberts came on and scored a couple of goals against a demoralised Hull side with Leeds completely on top).

I'd rather plan for next year by giving u23s a chance, not players who've proven time and time again that they're not good enough.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am I'd rather plan for next year by giving u23s a chance, not players who've proven time and time again that they're not good enough.
I would rather let Bielsa judge and if he sees something in Roberts that warrants further assessment then so be it. It could be argued, and certainly was by many, that Bamford proved time and time again last season that he wasn't good enough, likewise Dallas, Cooper and others over the years.

Personally yes I haven't seen enough good things from Roberts to suggest he is premiership quality but also due to his injuries and infrequent appearances it makes it harder to judge - the only real way to tell is if he is given a run of matches.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

This time two seasons ago we were hearing a lot of complaints about Dallas who after having come back from injury was coming off the bench.
But Bielsa integrated him into a must have player.

Now we it is Roberts who is raising the concerns but we forget that HE IS ONLY IN THE SIDE BECAUSE OUR MARQUEE SIGNING is INJURED.
Costa was down the pecking order but made his way back in because Poveda is injured.

As for Pablo. We are safe in the league , I would rather look forward than back now.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:25 am Fair point about reading to much into the supposed spat. Pablo wasn't getting much game time at the start of the season so that could well prove your point. I just think until we are certain of safety perhaps we shouldn't take anything for granted. Pablo for me would have given us the best chance of getting something from the game yesterday, not Roberts. Someone said earlier that they thought Tyler is trying too hard. I agree. Someone also mentions his general demeanour and that rings true too. I think we forget Bielsa has worked with Roberts for nearly 3 years now though and to still be giving him a chance must mean he sees something or a place for Roberts in his squad I presume. Or it could be simply that the spat is just that, but as far as Bielsa is concerned Pablo overstepped the mark like Pontus did and that was enough for him and until Pablo leaves Roberts will be ahead of him by default.

I'm all for planning for next year but I think we should get the required points now by playing the best side available and bringing on the best players in situations we find ourselves in in games to garner those points. There will be plenty of times after safety is assured when we are up against it and facing defeat to assess how players can perform in those circumstances and to see how they handle it. 12 games left, 2 more wins soon and hopefully we can bring in some on the verge of the first team to see how it goes.
Spot on Wilsden :tup:

Thank god we signed Ben White to replace Pontus who was never forgiven allowing cheating Villa to prosper in the end.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 am Of course people can question team selections... But my response was to '64 and was justified in the context of what he was saying.

I am not defensive about Bielsa... read my last sentence to see the context of that.......
No it wasn't, you are trying to lure me into saying something you can feed on.

All I will say is everybody is human & makes mistakes at some stage in their career/life
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am I'd rather plan for next year by giving u23s a chance, not players who've proven time and time again that they're not good enough.
It's all about the pecking order SG

We may as well line-up with just three outfield subs as the rest of the bench is pointless!
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:22 pm No it wasn't, you are trying to lure me into saying something you can feed on.

All I will say is everybody is human & makes mistakes at some stage in their career/life
:shock: :shock: :angel: :angel: