The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lumiukko
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

Post by Lumiukko »

Meslier:
Definitely our #1 and a top keeper already. We need to renegotiate his contract this summer without fail. Still young and will have some dips in form, and that's where we need a steady older experienced keeper willing to play second fiddle. I am advocating for older and experienced over younger as I think that is more necessary for consistency and confidence of the defence. Caprile is definitely a talent and is time will come in a couple of years.

Youth:
Max Dean definitely looks like a talent, but he's not yet ahead of Greenwood and Gelhardt in the pecking order. And talking of pecking order, I do worry that we'll lose the services of some of our top U23 talent if they don't start to see first team minutes into next season. Swansea already inquired about Greenwood in the last January transfer window.

Madueke:
I'll repeat what I wrote yesterday on the matter: "I watched his reel yesterday and he looked like he was playing more in a number 10 role than as a winger. He's an interesting player to watch with an awkward looking run which makes him look slower than he is, that is he's deceptively faster than he looks. He's got some bulk to him too so should have the physicality for the PL. That said, he's from London and may just fancy moving back there to be closer to family and friends so I'd rank him coming to us as low." Additionally, we have a lot of wingers so someone needs to move on. Poveda is an interesting one as he has bags of talent and skills but very little end product. He really needs to sort out this part of his development if he is to make it.
Mick Jones shoulder
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 31st March) - The future is bright for Leeds United

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

"Poveda is an interesting one as he has bags of talent and skills but very little end product." A description of all but one of our wingers.🤔
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Meslier is an established first teamer now so needs to be on first team wages, and preferably a long term deal, at least four years.

If we have to give him that bit extra to tie him down for longer, do it.

It isn’t like he cost us a fortune.

Wingers... if any more are to come in, there needs to be departures. The Harrison deal I’d do, to get a player as good as him you’d have to part with more cash.

Youth... make a decision on which ones we feel could be capable, move some on. Including positions where we have ample depth - so centre back being an obvious one.

Though I’d actually try in the cups. It is clear that we can pick a few first teamers mixed with the kids and move forward.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:28 am I reckon we MAY have potential superstars that are missing their opportunity like we did in the early 2000's.

We may but just as equally and probably more likely statistically most won't make the step up. Very hard to judge them given the standard of opposition, if someone was absolutely ripping the opposition to shreds, say a striker average well over a goal per game then you'd certainly be sitting up and taking notice, but none of our players I would say are doing more than looking pretty decent against mediocre opposition. Next year will certainly give us more of an idea as we play against the really good youngsters and squad players from the top clubs.
Senor El Weasel
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:32 am I would still like to see a poacher like Nketiah.
For all you might like to see him even if he signed for us he wouldn't really feature given his unsuitability for the forward position in a Bielsa team.
Senor El Weasel
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I think Gelhardt, Greenwood and Summerville will all be part of our 22 next season. Max Dean/Charlie Allen look great but they're still a couple of seasons away.

Great that we'll invest in Meslier. Not sure it changes anything for Casilla - I mean he wasn't really a factor this year.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 am I think Gelhardt, Greenwood and Summerville will all be part of our 22 next season. Max Dean/Charlie Allen look great but they're still a couple of seasons away.

Great that we'll invest in Meslier. Not sure it changes anything for Casilla - I mean he wasn't really a factor this year.
I think Huggins is real close, especially if we don't get a LB in the window
Honey dipped flim flam
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:43 pm For all you might like to see him even if he signed for us he wouldn't really feature given his unsuitability for the forward position in a Bielsa team.
I totally agree. He offers something different.

I really feel we need a plan B for next season