Ebay

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Ebay

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

I was recently the victim of a seller scam on Ebay. I had paid by credit card, therefore, ultimately not out of pocket.

Nevertheless, I have spent the last few weeks trying to obtain a refund from Ebay under their 30 day guarantee. This exercise has proved a waste of time, other than to highlight what a corrupt and dishonest organisation Ebay is.

Ebay accepted I had been scammed and I won my case. They promised a refund. Later they claimed they had attempted to refund my credit card without success, my provider claims this is untrue. More recently Ebay claimed the refund had been paid into a PayPal guest account. PayPal claim they have no record of this and that the account number is invalid.

What irritates me the most about the whole experience is my own total blindness to the reputation Ebay has in the market place. I sometimes check out seller's reviews, but never Ebay themselves, big mistake. Having searched the internet, there are literally thousands and thousands of negative reviews.

I would be interested to hear of your own experiences with Ebay.
Last edited by LUFC DAVE 7 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Ebay

Post by 1964white »

I've never used them Dave as I have a certain mistrust about Ebay.

I use Amazon & ao.com (electrical/computing), both offering an excellent secure service.
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

1964white wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 am I've never used them Dave as I have a certain mistrust about Ebay.

I use Amazon & ao.com (electrical/computing), both offering an excellent secure service.
As ever 64, wisdom beyond your years. Your mistrust is evidently well founded.

I too have an Amazon account, they will be getting all my business from now on.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFC DAVE 7 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 am As ever 64, wisdom beyond your years. Your mistrust is evidently well founded.

I too have an Amazon account, they will be getting all my business from now on.
Thanks Dave.

Everyone should consider using ao.com

Brilliant prices on top named products.
Next day delivery.
There team will install kitchen appliances & even take your old units away free of charge.
Excellent returns service.
Even their delivery men are very helpful & polite.

I recommend ao.com very highly.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I use ebay all the time and have no problem with it. It's generally much cheaper than the alternatives; CDs and films for a couple of quid, free postage, good quality clothes for under a tenner, brand name cosmetics at around half price etc etc.

If anything goes wrong online, it's a pain in the arse generally, that's not just ebay.
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

SaraM wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:29 am I use ebay all the time and have no problem with it. It's generally much cheaper than the alternatives; CDs and films for a couple of quid, free postage, good quality clothes for under a tenner, brand name cosmetics at around half price etc etc.

If anything goes wrong online, it's a pain in the arse generally, that's not just ebay.
I hear and accept what you say Sara, I had used Ebay for many years without a problem.

But when Ebay claim to have made a refund to an account PayPal say doesn't exist, alarm bells ring.

Plus, the negative reviews of Ebay can't be ignored. My account with them is closed, forever!

Besides, I buy all my cosmetics from Boots!
hector

Post by hector »

I use Ebay for most things too... Only recently have I started having a few problems, but that is generally with Chinese sellers, so I now avoid anything from China.. 8-) 8-)

I also had a condolence letter from Ebay the other day, comiserating on the passing of my wife.... They said she must have passed, as she has not bought anything for a week!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Hmmmmmmmm..

:) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

hector wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:47 am I use Ebay for most things too... Only recently have I started having a few problems, but that is generally with Chinese sellers, so I now avoid anything from China.. 8-) 8-)

I also had a condolence letter from Ebay the other day, comiserating on the passing of my wife.... They said she must have passed, as she has not bought anything for a week!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Hmmmmmmmm..

:) :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't have the wife problem anymore...sold mine on Ebay. Did have an inaccurate description case opened against me though, ignored it.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Thanks Dave.

Next day delivery.
There team will install kitchen appliances & even take your old units away free of charge.

Good to know 64, never thought of them myself but will in future.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Always always always pay with PayPal

Free returns up to 15 or 20 quid and also they're sooooo good at giving you your money back
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am Thanks Dave.

Next day delivery.

Also had great experience with ao but obviously they only sell a certain type of goods.

Amazon customer service is great but I find it has become flooded with cheap Chinese products lately.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Another who has used eBay for years without issue. Though I am an obsessive reader of seller reviews, any duff ones and they don't get my business. Always use PayPal for the added peace of mind.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:02 am Good to know 64, never thought of them myself but will in future.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
Many of our friends use ao.com for the electrical/computer purchases

A gooners fan (good pal) recommended them to us & we haven't look back since we waved goodbye to Curry's many years ago.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

ebay recently informed me of some changes, if you sell something they will no longer pay money into your PayPal account, instead it will go straight into your bank account. They asked me to register my account with them.
Don’t know if this is good or bad, I tend to be a buyer rather than a seller.
There Is Only One United.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I have used eBay as both a buyer and seller for a good number of years.

As with most started as a buyer and then you see stuff that sells for more than you probably thought and think ‘I’ve got one of those’ so you get into being a sort of de cluttering seller.

You certainly do read horror stories of case where people have been duped/ripped off. These cases do seem to be happen more with certain types of items, such as tech like phones, laptops, tablets etc.......so I’d steer clear of any of that.

When selling I certainly do have an exclusion list of countries I won’t post to.

I did post an item earlier this week to Hawaii for the first time.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

LUFC DAVE 7 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 am I hear and accept what you say Sara, I had used Ebay for many years without a problem.

But when Ebay claim to have made a refund to an account PayPal say doesn't exist, alarm bells ring.

Plus, the negative reviews of Ebay can't be ignored. My account with them is closed, forever!

Besides, I buy all my cosmetics from Boots!
I shall treat it with more caution following what you say, but usually I'm buying low cost albums like CDs, or clothes from private sellers. Cosmetics, the Lancôme and Clinique stuff I use is normally about 30 quid, so it's worth getting it half priced.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Ebay and Paypal are the same company, they have been defrauding customers for years....They are still chasing me for 45p from 8 years ago when I challenged them over listings fees that I never listed ,