The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th April) - Llorente earns Whites a share of the spoils

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th April) - Llorente earns Whites a share of the spoils

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 20th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds make their position clear regarding Super League

Leeds and Liverpool fans flocked to Elland Road last night in their hundreds, united in their cause to protest against the Super League. 12 clubs have signed up to the new ESL competition - six of them from the Premier League. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham. They join AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid.

The so called elite clubs want a new mid-week European competition, but also want to continue in their domestic leagues. The 14 top flight clubs not signed are meeting today to discuss the matter. To give Liverpool their dues, Manager Jurgen Klopp, and James Milner defied company lines by speaking out against the Super League.

The Whites earned themselves brownie points ahead of this mornings meeting. Leeds players came out for their warm-up wearing shirts emblazoned with the slogan “Earn It” under the Champions League logo and a plane flew overhead trailing a banner saying “say no to superleague”. Jurgen Klopp later described the Leeds shirts as 'a joke'! Leeds had made identical shirts for the Liverpool players, which were left in the dressing room for them, but they refused to wear them!

Llorente earns Whites a share of the spoils

Diego Llorente late equaliser three minutes from time sent millions of neutral football fans into jubilation last night. Why was this? Could it be true. We ALL love Leeds? Unfortunately not! Leeds opponents Liverpool were one of 12 elite clubs to have signed up for the controversial Super League, which if it happens, could change football forever!

Llorente's first goal in English football came from a corner. Harrison's in swinging corner towards a cluster of Leeds players fell nicely for the Spaniard. His downward header gave Alisson no chance. Liverpool deservedly took the lead on the half hour mark. Wave after wave of attacks, were eventually rewarded when Sadio Mane fired the ball into an empty net. Trent Alexander-Arnold latched on to a long ball before squaring it to the Senegalese International. Bamford could have taken the lead minutes before in a rare Leeds attack but was thwarted by Alisson when one on one.

If the reds had the lions share of the first half, the Whites certainly made amends after the break. Harrison had a great effort kept out by Alisson's legs after great work by Roberts. Minutes later Ayling's 50 yard pinpoint pass found Bamford on the edge of the penalty area. His exquisite first touch allowed Leeds no 9 to thump a rasping half volley, only to be denied by the woodwork. Roberts too was denied, this time by the Brazilian shot stopper.

All in all, a draw seems to be a fair result. This was only Leeds fourth draw of the season, less (or joint) than any other team in the football league!

Muppet the Cat

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th April) Leeds make their position clear regarding Super League

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Poveda is never going to cut the mustard if he can’t even put his t-shirt on the right way round :roll:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th April) Leeds make their position clear regarding Super League

Post by HarryofOz »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 am Poveda is never going to cut the mustard if he can’t even put his t-shirt on the right way round :roll:
:lol: :lol:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Our display in the second half was a huge improvement on the lacklustre first half. I often wonder if we as a club new to the Premiership, have an inferiority complex against certain top sides, and it takes Marcelo to drum into their heads at half time, how much they are underestimating themselves.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 am Poveda is never going to cut the mustard if he can’t even put his t-shirt on the right way round :roll:
:lol: :lol: I thought the same thing, plus when he came on my missis why are we bringing on a 9 year old he should be home in bed it's a school night :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

DavidH wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 am Our display in the second half was a huge improvement on the lacklustre first half. I often wonder if we as a club new to the Premiership, have an inferiority complex against certain top sides, and it takes Marcelo to drum into their heads at half time, how much they are underestimating themselves.
Quite possibly, this has come about very suddenly in the grand scheme of things after all. Can't imagine 4 years ago that Kalvin would've dreamed he'd be one of if not England's best DM and playing in the Prem beating Man City. :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:57 am :lol: :lol: I thought the same thing, plus when he came on my missis why are we bringing on a 9 year old he should be home in bed it's a school night :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:57 am :lol: :lol: I thought the same thing, plus when he came on my missis why are we bringing on a 9 year old he should be home in bed it's a school night :lol:
:) :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DavidH wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 am Our display in the second half was a huge improvement on the lacklustre first half. I often wonder if we as a club new to the Premiership, have an inferiority complex against certain top sides, and it takes Marcelo to drum into their heads at half time, how much they are underestimating themselves.
That first half display was on a par with the West Ham, Brighton & Villa performances at ER.

Thankfully Marcelo had several words to say to the majority at half-time :) our slow starts are unexplainable!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Strange Cat as some of our other academy players are impressing more than Poveda but once again it's all down to the dreaded pecking order.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:30 am Strange Cat as some of our other academy players are impressing more than Poveda but once again it's all down to the dreaded pecking order.
I would have given Gelhardt, instead of Poveda, go at some point yesterday.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:42 am I would have given Gelhardt, instead of Poveda, go at some point yesterday.
Me too :tup:

Nine subs on the bench & you could name the three or four who would feature at some stage of the game.

Pablo was a token gesture, had Raphinha started Costa would have been the late substitution.

Btw where was Costa? hardly noticed him from a positive angle last night.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1st half was poor and Liverpool were the better side, 2nd half was a huge improvement and we had the chances to win.

I think if Raph and Rodders are fully fit and start yesterday then we win.

Klopp shouldn't take things so personally, lost his s**t at Gary Neville as well when Neville wasnt attacking hi personally or Liverpool FC, he was attacking the idea of the Super League and the Owners of these clubs.

Just so happened Liverpool were the first of the 6 to play and we decided to send a message on behalf of football, hard luck.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:42 am I would have given Gelhardt, instead of Poveda, go at some point yesterday.
I thought Poveda did well?

If Roberts could finish he would have had an assist.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:25 am I thought Poveda did well?

If Roberts could finish he would have had an assist.
I’m not remotely convinced by Poveda, Cjay.

In my opinion, there is little end product from him and often chooses the wrong option or fails to anticipate what a team mate is going to do.

He is lightweight and lacks any physical presence, and as one of the posts above suggests, he could do with a season out on loan in the Championship to toughen him up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 pm I’m not remotely convinced by Poveda, Cjay.

In my opinion, there is little end product from him and often chooses the wrong option or fails to anticipate what a team mate is going to do.

He is lightweight and lacks any physical presence, and as one of the posts above suggests, he could do with a season out on loan in the Championship to toughen him up.
Agree entirely Cat :tup:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Muppet the Cat wrote:
I’m not remotely convinced by Poveda, Cjay.

Yeah a lightweight just like Juninho who played for Boro

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

I’m undecided on Poveda, but he was totally involved from the second he came on, he hugged the touch line and kept Robertson busy.
I can’t remember Robertson venturing past the halfway line after that.
Also, with Dallas dropping back to LB we looked more solid down the left and therefore Trent AA hardly ventured forwards too.
You could say they were happy holding onto 1-0 but because of those two changes, we did pin them in their own half apart from the odd break away.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm I’m undecided on Poveda, but he was totally involved from the second he came on, he hugged the touch line and kept Robertson busy.
I can’t remember Robertson venturing past the halfway line after that.
Also, with Dallas dropping back to LB we looked more solid down the left and therefore Trent AA hardly ventured forwards too.
You could say they were happy holding onto 1-0 but because of those two changes, we did pin them in their own half apart from the odd break away.
Some would disagree with you on that point

I've been saying the same for two years.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm Some would disagree with you on that point

I've been saying the same for two years.
Alioski tried his best and had a couple of good moments but Dallas has always been a more solid choice. Problem is, he's proved himself just as solid in CMF so it's a catch-22. With the strong possibility of a new LB in the summer though, it's a problem that should rectify itself soon enough.