The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 12th May) Leeds table £20m bid for Stuttgart ace

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 12th May) Leeds table £20m bid for Stuttgart ace

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 12th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds table 20m bid for Stuttgart ace

Ahead of the Summer transfer window, it has been alleged that Leeds have tabled a bid for highly rated attacking left back Borna Sosa. The 23 year old Croatian has recently upset his national side by attempting to switch nationalities, and join the German national team. Unfortunately this was denied! His agent Franjo Vranjkovićhas has told Croatian outlet Sportske Novosti that the Whites have made a 20m offer to bring Sosa to Elland Road this Summer! He is currently contracted to Stuttgart until 2025. Over 26 games this season, Sosa has an impressive ten assists to his name. Football analyst Marcus Bring said...

Of you want a chance creating left-back, wing-back, Borna Sosa is your guy. One of the Bundesliga revelations of the season.

Top five players of the season

With only three games left of the 20/21 season, which player has impressed you the most? Taking into account, not just their contribution on the pitch, but their price tag as well, who would be your top five players of the season?

Meslier - He has made the second most amount of saves in the top flight, and he is still only 21. His 5m transfer has really paid off for the Whites.

Cooper - Captain reliable for the most, and with seven years of loyal service under his belt since his 600k move from Chesterfield, the 29yo has made over 200 appearances for the Whites.

Ayling - He has been Mr dependable since his move from Bristol City almost 4 years ago for £250,000. His forward runs have contributed to many goals. He narrowly missed out on an England call up.

Struijk - Signed as a youth International two and a half years ago from Ajaz, the 21 yo has made the transaction between academy football to the top flight look seamless! No wonder FIFA's No1 ranking side Belgium want him to commit his International future to them.

Llorente - Injuries aside, the Leeds team stopped leaking goals like an sieve, upon Llorente's inclusion. He has more than justified his 18m fee.

Alioski - Nicknamed the Duracell bunny for a good reason, what he lacks in skill, he makes up in passion. Four years ago he cost 2.25m

Dallas - Bought from Brentford when he was on loan at Northampton for just 1m, the versatile 30yo could probably even play in goal, if asked to.

Phillips - Bought through the youth ranks from the age of 14, the England International is still going from strength to strength!

Raphinha - What were his former club Rennes thinking of, when they agreed to sell the Brazilian to Leeds for 18m? Flair, pace, skill and an eye for goal. At 24, he has a big future ahead of him

Harrison - He's on his third season loan loan at Elland Road, and when on form, is breathtaking! He has 7 goals and six assists to his name this term. He is one of the main reasons why Leeds have delivered the second highest amount of crosses in the top flight (behind Liverpool).

Bamford - He has worked his socks off for his team, always giving his all. With 15 goals this term, his 7m transfer from Boro three years ago seems a snip.

Boris Johnson gives green light to fans attending games

Speaking at yesterday's coronavirus press briefing, Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed that football fans will be allowed back into stadiums, for the first time in 442 days. Unfortunately, as the restrictions have only been relaxed, not abolished, it means that Elland Road can host 8,000 spectators, or 25% of its total capacity, for the home fixture against West Brom. Sources for the club have already said that a ballot will decide who the lucky fans are!

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 12th May) Leeds table 20m bid for Stuttgart ace

Post by Chilli D »

Based on the whole season my top 5 players would be:
Dallas
Raphinha
Phillips
Ayling
Meslier

Llorente has missed too many games to be considered but has been excellent since he regained his place / fitness.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 12th May) Leeds table 20m bid for Stuttgart ace

Post by Carrick Dave »

Focusing on the price tag thing, my top five would be

Dallas
Philips
Struijk
Ayling
Cooper

According to one report this lad Sosa is great going forward but not so good defensively. Remind you of anyone?
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

My top 5 this season:

Dallas
Raphinha
Phillips
Meslier
Bamford

Borna Sosa looks like an athletic and talented player, so could fit in well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWCIXhZgnE
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 12th May) Leeds table £20m bid for Stuttgart ace

Post by HarryofOz »

I can't even come close to picking five standouts above the rest.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 12th May) Leeds table £20m bid for Stuttgart ace

Post by Cjay »

Borna Sosa

Looks quality, never heard of him admittedly and Youtube videos can be misleading but he looks decent.

Over 6ft to which is nice considering our previous issues at set pieces.

Top 5.

Struggling to pick 5 but i can pick my top 1.

Raphinha.

I think whilst its hard to pick a top 5 i think an outstanding player is easier, its pretty obvious Raph is our most gifted player by quite a distance. He leads all manner of stats, chances creation, assists, sprints etc.

We haven't won a game without him.

Others deserve a mention of course as other members have done but i find it hard to pick a number 1 other than our most gifted player.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

WhiteinFrance, welcome to the forum....
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Sosa looks like the type of attacking left back that would suit Bielsa so there may be something in the rumour. But imagine if he played for Croatia after he had kicked them in the teeth by trying to change his nationality to play for Germany. Unless he was brilliant in every match the fans wouldn’t half give him some stick!

Based on value for money i.e. contribution for cost, my top 5 would have to be:

1) Kalvin Phillips - at a cost of nothing he has been the linchpin of the team this season, absolutely irreplaceable. (Koch may turn out to be a decent deputy though)

2) Stuey Dallas - my player of the season again. Has played unbelievably well in every position he has been asked to play and at £1m - well that’s chicken feed these days.

3) “Bill” Ayling - so dependably solid all season long I can’t believe he only cost £250,000 (his hair alone would be worth more than £1m these days 😂).

4) Ilan Meslier - at just 21 years old if he continues to progress like he has done this season he could well be the best in the world in a couple of years. Great buy for £5m.

5) Raphinha - £18m is not chicken feed but it’s not crazy money either. In an injury hit season he’s managed to double his value at least. Can’t wait to watch him playing for us next season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Left back is the one position a new player could walk straight into imo, assuming Alio departs

Top 5 for value and quality this season would be

Meslier - That could have gone so badly and the buck stops there

Dallas - Can play in every position and in every division, not many can do that...

Phillips - Excellent season from our home grown product

Alioski - Couldn't really have asked for more

Ayling - Stepped up as captain when needed and maybe on of the best wing backs in the division
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Top 5 Player's of the season.

1) Raphinha: The guy always has his say in games. Truly world class.
2) Phillips: Another player who we really miss when he's not around. Fast becoming a local born legend and we will find out soon if Southgate thinks the same.
3) Dallas: What can you say about Stuart. Top player, top Geezer, Side before self, and that's anywhere in the team. I will hold my hands up and say i didn't think he had this level in him. Only down at 3 because as good as he is, i don't think we would miss him as much as the other two.
4) Got to go with Meslier: What a signing this kid as been. I suspect like most of us i knew nothing about the lad, and was dubious that he could handle the pressure when thrown it at the deep end (it may change when the fans are back in) but he's created his own history and long may it continue he's been another stand out.
5) Tough en this one but i am going to go with Paddy: Goals win you games and his return this season so far has been fantastic along with some assists, i think he only scored 1 PL goal before this season. Is application and desire to defend from the front and basically run himself into the ground every game is up there the best i have ever seen (Tevez/Smith) i guess the big question is can he do it consistently? He has really won me over this season in terms of his allround game.

Top 5 players by price:

Same as Byebye although i may find room for Coops in that 5 somewhere.

Anybody who looks like Kurt Cobain as got to be good. :)

Great news that fans can attend again. There were 70,000 fans attending the Canelo/Saunders fight over the weekend so we are on the right path. And who would have thought it, Governments telling us its safe to hug each other, although i suspect some people will never hug again.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I’ve watched the YouTube video and he looks pretty handy and he’s a decent sized lump, just the type English refs will yellow card if they breathe on the likes on Sterling etc . Mind you I could probably put an 8 minute video of my best bits on YouTube and look half decent (not), just like that African guy did a few years ago to get signed without ever having been scouted. (Sorry can’t remember any details and too lazy to check my facts).
Which brings me to talent scouting, are there still old men who stand on the sidelines of youth matches in dirty raincoats taking notes and pictures? Or have I just drifted onto a whole new topic entirely?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Orange Box wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am are there still old men who stand on the sidelines of youth matches in dirty raincoats taking notes and pictures?
That sounds more like an overshare :oops: :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Busted 🤪
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Orange Box wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am I’ve watched the YouTube video and he looks pretty handy and he’s a decent sized lump, just the type English refs will yellow card if they breathe on the likes on Sterling etc . Mind you I could probably put an 8 minute video of my best bits on YouTube and look half decent (not), just like that African guy did a few years ago to get signed without ever having been scouted. (Sorry can’t remember any details and too lazy to check my facts).
Which brings me to talent scouting, are there still old men who stand on the sidelines of youth matches in dirty raincoats taking notes and pictures? Or have I just drifted onto a whole new topic entirely?
Dunno about the dirty mac brigade?

Probably a question that can be answered by All Paeds Aren't We.com :)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Leeds table 20m bid for Stuttgart ace
Cant say I have seen anything of him.

Top five players of the season
To pick one this year, was difficult , but one really did stand out, to pick 5 is not so easy...But here goes...
Dallas
Bamford
Meslier
Raphina
Phillips

Boris Johnson gives green light to fans attending games
Again rooting for all those from this forum who are in the ballot...
Bielsaball
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bielsaball »

Borna Sosa would a good signing, he has all the right attributes, providing the price is right. As we need a backup goalkeeper,striker,left back and midfielder all of the quality to give depth to the squad for injury’s and suspensions to consolidate Premiship status which should be our first priority.

As for the top 5 players this season, I would have to say that the whole squad needs praise for their efforts and contributions.

1 Kalvin Philips holds the teams attacks and defence together, the pivot the whole team revolves around. And when he’s absent we have struggled.

2 Raphinha he seems a real class act, I only hope we can hold onto him as I think some real big bids will be coming his way!

3 Dallas he has got better this season and looks a Premiership quality player And very versatile too!

4 Meslier has done himself proud with loads of solid performances at such a young age!

5 Ayling Mr Reliable doesn’t make too many mistakes and has being really solid

And closely behind Bamford and Harrison and Struijk
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Bielsaball wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm Borna Sosa would a good signing, he has all the right attributes, providing the price is right. As we need a backup goalkeeper,striker,left back and midfielder all of the quality to give depth to the squad for injury’s and suspensions to consolidate Premiship status which should be our first priority.

As for the top 5 players this season, I would have to say that the whole squad needs praise for their efforts and contributions.

1 Kalvin Philips holds the teams attacks and defence together, the pivot the whole team revolves around. And when he’s absent we have struggled.

2 Raphinha he seems a real class act, I only hope we can hold onto him as I think some real big bids will be coming his way!

3 Dallas he has got better this season and looks a Premiership quality player And very versatile too!

4 Meslier has done himself proud with loads of solid performances at such a young age!

Agreed on all points. Welcome to the forum, pal. :tup:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

will they demand covid passports as a requisite for entering the ballot or will you need passports to enter the stadium

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsaball wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:52 pm Borna Sosa would a good signing, he has all the right attributes, providing the price is right. As we need a backup goalkeeper,striker,left back and midfielder all of the quality to give depth to the squad for injury’s and suspensions to consolidate Premiship status which should be our first priority.

Nice debut post

Welcome to MOT Bielsaball :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tough really tough & harsh on others omitted but here goes :

Dallas
Phillips
Raphinha
Ayling
Bamford