TV programmes I grew up watching
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Chilli D
- Superstar

- Posts: 8790
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
The theme music to The Tomorrow People scared the shite out of me as a child.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155360
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
- billie1
- First Team

- Posts: 1299
- Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
- Location: Gloucestershire
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
I did watch a fair few of those shows . I did like most of the Gerry Anderson series’s Thunderbirds etc as well as the Irwin Allen stuff , Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea , Land of the Giants and Lost in Space . I also liked Patrick Troughton as Dr Who , pretty scary on occasion ! There was also a show in the mid 70’s which seems pretty topical now called The Survivors , which I used to really enjoy . And then there was always Top Cat , Wacky Races , and other great cartoons . Endless enjoyment !1964white wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 pm The Saint
Danger Man
The Baron
Man In A Suitcase
The Avengers
Randall & Hopkirk
The Champions
The Prisoner
The Fugitive
Dixon Of Dock Green
Z Cars
Callan
Follyfoot
The Adventures of the Terrible Ten
William Tell
Robin Hood
Batman
Rawhide
Bonanza
High Chaparall
Alias Smith & Jones
Top Of The Pops
Juke Box Jury
Ready Steady Go!
The Old Grey Whistle Test
Match Of The Day
The Big Match
Grandstand
World Of Sport
Popeye
Bill & Ben
Andy Pandy
Sooty & Sweep
Pixie & Dixie
Huckleberry Hound
Flintstones
Steptoe & Son
Love Thy Neighbour
On The Buses
Likely Lads
Morecambe & Wise
The Adams Family
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Benny Hill Show
Dads Army
Hogans Heroes
- Bally
- First Team

- Posts: 1705
- Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 pm
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
Its a knockout
Superstars
We are the champions
Kick start
Land of the giants
The tomorrow people
Lost in space
Happy Days
Mork and Mindy
Black Beauty (Best TV theme tune ever)
Champion the wonder horse
Casey Jones
Laverne and Shirley
The persuaders
Superstars
We are the champions
Kick start
Land of the giants
The tomorrow people
Lost in space
Happy Days
Mork and Mindy
Black Beauty (Best TV theme tune ever)
Champion the wonder horse
Casey Jones
Laverne and Shirley
The persuaders
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155360
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
I'd forgotten Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea & Land of the Giants, enjoyed bothbillie1 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 pm I did watch a fair few of those shows . I did like most of the Gerry Anderson series’s Thunderbirds etc as well as the Irwin Allen stuff , Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea , Land of the Giants and Lost in Space . I also liked Patrick Troughton as Dr Who , pretty scary on occasion ! There was also a show in the mid 70’s which seems pretty topical now called The Survivors , which I used to really enjoy . And then there was always Top Cat , Wacky Races , and other great cartoons . Endless enjoyment !
- 1964white
- Lord Southwold

- Posts: 155360
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
- Twitter: @1964white
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
One things for sure, they don't make 'em like they used to
- HarryofOz
- Superstar

- Posts: 16442
- Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
My childhood in South Africa was very different.
We didn't get TV there until the mid-seventies by which time I was nearly a teenager.
Even then it was only one channel for a couple of hours or so (half in English and half in Afrikaans). They included children's TV, news, documentaries, game shows and fictional shows - obviously not all in one night.
Even then, because of the Equity ban we didn't get any British shows apart from The Sweeney (not sure how we got that one), which was dubbed into Afrikaans. We did get US shows.
Later as the hours increase we got more US shows, especially soapies like Dallas and Dynasty. Also the westerns like Bonanza but this was years after they were originally broadcast in the US and elsewhere.
So when I was a young 'un my non-reading entertainment came from the radio. Drama and comedy. Some of that was based on British TV shows. We had one based on Steptoe and Son, and another based on Father Dear Father. There were others but I'm not sure which (if any) British TV shows they were based on.
We didn't get TV there until the mid-seventies by which time I was nearly a teenager.
Even then it was only one channel for a couple of hours or so (half in English and half in Afrikaans). They included children's TV, news, documentaries, game shows and fictional shows - obviously not all in one night.
Even then, because of the Equity ban we didn't get any British shows apart from The Sweeney (not sure how we got that one), which was dubbed into Afrikaans. We did get US shows.
Later as the hours increase we got more US shows, especially soapies like Dallas and Dynasty. Also the westerns like Bonanza but this was years after they were originally broadcast in the US and elsewhere.
So when I was a young 'un my non-reading entertainment came from the radio. Drama and comedy. Some of that was based on British TV shows. We had one based on Steptoe and Son, and another based on Father Dear Father. There were others but I'm not sure which (if any) British TV shows they were based on.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
-
LUFC DAVE 7
- Youth Team

- Posts: 59
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:21 am
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
You lot wer' lucky.
We didn't have a telly, livin' in't shoebox in't middle 'ot road!
We didn't have a telly, livin' in't shoebox in't middle 'ot road!
- Ellandback1
- Superstar

- Posts: 11899
- Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
- Twitter: @EllandBack1
- Location: The truth is out there
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
How hot was Makepeace
- Ellandback1
- Superstar

- Posts: 11899
- Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
- Twitter: @EllandBack1
- Location: The truth is out there
- Ellandback1
- Superstar

- Posts: 11899
- Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
- Twitter: @EllandBack1
- Location: The truth is out there
-
Mick Jones shoulder
- Manager

- Posts: 2911
- Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm
-
Leeds1000
- Manager

- Posts: 4157
- Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
A few of the cheesy shows.
Starsky & Hutch
Dukes of Hazard
A-team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Cartoons
Dangermouse
Inspector Gadget
The old Tom & Jerry stuff
Bananaman
He-man
Slip these two.
Conan and the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
And a couple of films that were a bit freaky:
Children of the corn
Christine
Starsky & Hutch
Dukes of Hazard
A-team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Cartoons
Dangermouse
Inspector Gadget
The old Tom & Jerry stuff
Bananaman
He-man
Slip these two.
Conan and the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
And a couple of films that were a bit freaky:
Children of the corn
Christine
- hector
- Moderator

- Posts: 14652
- Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
- Location: In a wood
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
Classics mate.....Leeds1000 wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 4:40 pm A few of the cheesy shows.
Starsky & Hutch
Dukes of Hazard
A-team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Cartoons
Dangermouse
Inspector Gadget
The old Tom & Jerry stuff
Bananaman
He-man
Slip these two.
Conan and the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
And a couple of films that were a bit freaky:
Children of the corn
Christine
Hopelessly lost.................. But making good time
- whiteswan
- Superstar

- Posts: 20762
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am
-
Clacton White
- First Team

- Posts: 2074
- Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm
Re: TV programmes I grew up watching
I have actually been to the Lipitzaner stables where white Horses was filmed . Went 2 years ago on hols in Slovenia and it's still visibly similar to the intro scenes even about 50 years later , loads of the horses there .whiteswan wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 2:01 pm White Horses (lovely soundtrack by 'Jackie', often coming at the top of polls of the best TV theme song ever, sorry dont know how to put it on here)
Double Deckers (loved Peter Firth, still do )
Blue Peter
Crackerjack
Crossroads
Columbo
The Saint
Danger Man
The Fugitive
Burke's Law
Flashing Blade is probably one great memory of times gone by , the same people (French TV) made another set in crusader times , Thibaud the crusader , then there was Banana splits , Timeslip , Tomorrow people , a little later , Blake's 7 , Grange Hill . I think telly was better back then .