The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 14th May) Bielsa admits selection dilemma

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 14th May) Bielsa admits selection dilemma

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 14th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa admits selection dilemma

During his pre match press conference, Leeds supremo Marcelo Bielsa admitted to having a selection headache ahead of tomorrows clash at Turf Moor. Captain Liam Cooper has returned from suspension but Pascal Struijk is literally improving game on game. The partnership he has built with Llorente is as solid as anyone's in the Premier League. Bielsa said...

I completely understand your question and you can understand I ask myself this same question. The theoretical answer I gave can be linked to this question. It helps construct an opinion to what you’re asking. Pascal has had very good performances and Cooper is our captain who has also had great performances but over a longer period of time. Both things are valuable, this sudden appearance of Pascal and everything that Cooper has done of course establishes a big difference because to play well is accessible but to play well over a longer period of time is very difficult.

Will Liam Cooper be a first team regular next season? Should he still be Captain next season, if not, who?

Peacock Farrell to start tomorrow?

The Clarets will also be without Phil Bardsley, Dale Stephens, Robbie Brady and Kevin Long for tomorrows clash with the Whites. Furthermore Dale Stephens and Nick Pope are major doubts. Sean Dyche was quoted as saying...

Phil Bardsley has a hernia situation and that will need doing now. Popey has had a couple of niggles with his shoulder and knee so we will wait and see on him. They are the same issues, we have just been keeping an eye on him. Robbie Brady is not going to be right, Kevin Long is not going to be right. Dale Stephens has a situation we are checking with his ankle.

If Pope is sidelined, Peacock Farrell will relish the chance not only to impress his Manager, but get one over on his former club! Chris Wood and Charlie Taylor are also both expected to face their former club tomorrow

Michael Bridges lauds Ayling's performances

Former Leeds icon Michael Bridges has labelled Luke Ayling as 'absolutely incredible'. The 42 year old spent five years at Elland Road, though his career was cut short by a horrific knee injury he sustained in the Champions league at Besiktas, back in 2000. Over the next four seasons, Bridges would only make ten appearances for the Whites. Bridges remains not just a fans favourite but an ambassador for Leeds Utd. During a recent interview with GegenPod, he expressed his admiration for the Leeds right back!

35 matches this season, played every game. Ayling has come from the lower divisions and made a career, worked his way through, a bit like Jamie Vardy has done. Bielsa has given the opportunity in the Championship, the work rate this kid puts in from the full-back position is incredible and he’s taken to the Premier League like you wouldn’t believe.

Not many players can play the amount of games that he has – I know they haven’t been in Europe – but I just thought I’d credit him and I was struggling to find another right-back. It was Cancelo but I didn’t want to have another Manchester City player in there. I’m an ambassador for Leeds United, I don’t know Ayling personally, but I just think he has been absolutely incredible.

Is Ayling good enough defensively to help move Leeds o the next level? How would he have compared with the likes of Mills, Zico and Kelly?

Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 14th May) Bielsa admits selection dilemma

Post by Carrick Dave »

I think Cooper will remain captain next year, but the baton should ultimately pass to Kalvin.

Liam should come back in tomorrow as part of a back three with Dallas moving to LWB. With any luck we’ll see Klich or Rodrigo preferred to Roberts in the middle and Kalvin returning, allowing us to field probably our strongest side for once. Koch doesn’t deserve to be dropped, but there it is.

I hope BPF is in goal, but he’s a good shot-stopper on his day.

Bill gets away with his defensive frailties at the moment, but I’m sure he knows better than anyone where he needs to improve over the summer. Tracking his man at set pieces and on the edge of our area in open play would be a start. 😁
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 14th May) Bielsa admits selection dilemma

Post by Chilli D »

Probably for the first time this season, with it drawing to a close, Bielsa has a full squad (minus Costa and Forshaw of course) to chose from.
Tough on anyone who gets dropped after last week's result and performance but there it is.
I'm pretty sure Raphinha will replace Poveda.
I just hope he does the right thing by leaving Cooper on the bench.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Bielsa has lots of selection dilemmas - does he play three CBs or two? And which two?

Does Koch continue in the defensive midfield role with Phillips playing further up?

Where does Dallas play?

These are all great things for us to have - aside from the shocker at Brighton we’ve been great for the last couple of months.

Koch’s performances deputising for Phillips removes one transfer conundrum, it means we don’t have to spend some of our budget on someone who isn’t going to play much.

With regards to Cooper, I think that he might start to become a more peripheral figure, though he could always kick on again as he has done multiple times already.

Struijk’s emergence might have caught the club by surprise, he looks a million dollars at the back. I think the plan for the season was probably for him to deputise in both roles when needed.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I think Cooper will start. Shame, because Struijk has been superb
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

prob the wrong thread but dosnt deserve its own. Watch out! Derby fans have a cunning plan to wind us up!

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/37255-great-b ... y-wind-up/

Cant blame them I guess not like their club is giving them much entertainment these days.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I think Bielsa will pick the following team:
Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Raphinha
Klich
Roberts
Harrison
Bamford

If it was down to me I’d keep Struijk as a starter and have Cooper on the bench and try Rodrigo to start instead of Roberts.

Luke Ayling 👏🏻
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 am I think Cooper will start. Shame, because Struijk has been superb
Feel very sad for Pascal if he is needlessly dropped

Lets see how many headers we lose without Struijk in the back four.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:59 pm I think Bielsa will pick the following team:
Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Raphinha
Klich
Roberts
Harrison
Bamford

If it was down to me I’d keep Struijk as a starter and have Cooper on the bench and try Rodrigo to start instead of Roberts.

Luke Ayling 👏🏻
Your team + the bold is how I would select it too. Wonder how Burnley will line up, with one or two forwards? Might change how Bielsa plays the defensive shape?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:59 pm I think Bielsa will pick the following team:
Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Raphinha
Klich
Roberts
Harrison
Bamford

Luke Ayling 👏🏻
All of this. :tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

I think Cooper might play as he’s possibly more savvy to the way Burnley play.
It’s old style that Cooper’s used to.
That said, I wouldn’t want Struijk benched.