Rowntree's fruit pastels

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Rowntree's fruit pastels

Post by whiteswan »

One of my fave sweets as a kid, and as an adult. But Rowntree have taken the gelatin out of the recipe to suit vegans, so now they are all soft and gooey and stick to ones teeth. Has anyone else suffered a fave product ruined due to companies changing tried and tested recipes to suit vegans. I have no complaints over vegans having their own products, but why change something that's been around for over 60 years just to suit them! Keep the regular and create a vegan version.....simples isnt it?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Rowntree's fruit pastels

Post by Ratscoot »

whiteswan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm One of my fave sweets as a kid, and as an adult. But Rowntree have taken the gelatin out of the recipe to suit vegans, so now they are all soft and gooey and stick to ones teeth. Has anyone else suffered a fave product ruined due to companies changing tried and tested recipes to suit vegans. I have no complaints over vegans having their own products, but why change something that's been around for over 60 years just to suit them! Keep the regular and create a vegan version.....simples isnt it?
100% Agree Swan, I’ve not eaten red meat since ‘84 personal choice I don’t actually like the taste and can’t stand the smell of pork cooking, even went Veggie for a year or so but that’s my choice like Vegan is a choice but I don’t force my choice on others, my wife and kids still eat red meat probably not as much as others but it’s their choice.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

I've suffered a similar problem with gluten in my sausages. I love a good sausage and there was no shortage of great choice from all the major supermarkets.. until last year. Slowly but surely virtually every one of my favourites went gluten free across every supermarket. I mean fair enough but at least keep some of the dam things with gluten in. But oh no. Now I understand it's a health benefit thing but personally I find it ridiculous they began making all sausages gluten free. So they taste slightly different and fry quicker than sausages with gluten. I don't know (sigh). Off to the local butcher I went and walked out with 6 tasty bangers complete with gluten and I've been back every week since.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm One of my fave sweets as a kid, and as an adult. But Rowntree have taken the gelatin out of the recipe to suit vegans, so now they are all soft and gooey and stick to ones teeth. Has anyone else suffered a fave product ruined due to companies changing tried and tested recipes to suit vegans. I have no complaints over vegans having their own products, but why change something that's been around for over 60 years just to suit them! Keep the regular and create a vegan version.....simples isnt it?
They wouldn't sell enough of the Vegan ones to warrant setting up a second factory or manufacturing area to make it worth their while ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:10 pm I've suffered a similar problem with gluten in my sausages. I love a good sausage and there was no shortage of great choice from all the major supermarkets.. until last year. Slowly but surely virtually every one of my favourites went gluten free across every supermarket. I mean fair enough but at least keep some of the dam things with gluten in. But oh no. Now I understand it's a health benefit thing but personally I find it ridiculous they began making all sausages gluten free. So they taste slightly different and fry quicker than sausages with gluten. I don't know (sigh). Off to the local butcher I went and walked out with 6 tasty bangers complete with gluten and I've been back every week since.
Again due to cross contamination you'd either need to shut down production between runs and completely clean the factory or build a new factory if you want to supply both GF and gluten loaded sausages. As a Coeliac (which is an auto immune disease and gluten makes me very ill) I'm very happy they finally did the sensible thing and take out the gluten.

Companies before that making GF sausages could charge a fortune for them even though they cost no more to make..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Hadn't noticed the change to fruit pastels, but I tend to buy wine pastels out of preference these days. I mourn the shrinkage and virtual disappearance of refreshers. I stockpile them whenever I find a shop that has them.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:35 pm They wouldn't sell enough of the Vegan ones to warrant setting up a second factory or manufacturing area to make it worth their while ..
From reading the complaints from folk regarding changing the original to vegan, it'll only be vegans buying them, so I reckon sales will slump anyway. That happened with my favourite spread 'I can't believe it's not butter'. The recipe was changed to vegan and it was such a slop that it fell off the knife before it got to my bread. Lots of complaints and people stopped buying it including me, lo and behold, it's now changed again and not vegan anymore. It's back to normal (suitable for vegetarians) and I've started buying it again.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 pm Hadn't noticed the change to fruit pastels, but I tend to buy wine pastels out of preference these days. I mourn the shrinkage and virtual disappearance of refreshers. I stockpile them whenever I find a shop that has them.
Do you know anyone who goes to Makro or another wholesaler....your local publican for example. They might be able to get you a mammoth stock of refreshers. I know when we used to visit Makro, I used to stockpile my faves as they come in much larger packages :)
hector

Post by hector »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 pm Hadn't noticed the change to fruit pastels, but I tend to buy wine pastels out of preference these days. I mourn the shrinkage and virtual disappearance of refreshers. I stockpile them whenever I find a shop that has them.
tesco
asda
home bargains

x5 for £1.00
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Never heard of Makro, and never get to any of the big supermarkets, so I'm beholden to the whim of my local shops. There's a post office where I go on holiday that has them, so I always clear them out. It's probably just as well, otherwise I'd die of refresher poisoning. Don't know if it's just nostalgia, but I'm sure they used to be the size of a 2p coin when I was a child.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Just bought a box of 48 online. 🤢
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I just wish they'd return Curly Wurlies to their original size... :(
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mothbanquet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:41 pm I just wish they'd return Curly Wurlies to their original size... :(
I know, they're not so inedible now!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:37 pm Just bought a box of 48 online. 🤢
Enjoy!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

I find that every time they say “new improved recipe” or “great new taste”about anything, I groan wondering what they’ve done to it.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Finnatic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:24 pm I find that every time they say “new improved recipe” or “great new taste”about anything, I groan wondering what they’ve done to it.
I cringe as well Finn....its never an improvement
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 pmEnjoy!
Thanks! It's going to be a challenge rationing them out, I'll be like a kid in a sweet shop.

Oh...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:37 pm Just bought a box of the 48 online. 🤢
Good year for refreshers ...