World Class Player

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

World Class Player

Post by Cjay »

Gets thrown about a bit to much for me.

Only need a decent season or two and the media hail you as a "world class player".

We have seen it this season, we saw it today actually, Kinnear called Kalvin Phillips world class.

Villa fans no doubt think Jack Grealish is world class.

Leicester fans may think Jamie Vardy is world class.

For me i think its become a term used far to often and in fact it applies to very few players playing football at any time.

The amount of genuinely world class players playing right now is tiny, thats how it always has been and should be imo.

You have very good players, you have exceptional players, but above that you then have world class.

For me world class is starting to lose all meaning.

Vardy, Grealish and KP arent world class, i dont think so, not to say they arent good players but for me world class means you are the best of the best at the highest level for a good few years.

By that i mean the top 5-10 players in your position in the world at one time for a period of time.

It got me thinking, am i being unfair or am i correct?

Are there more genuinely world class players now compared to when i was a kid or has the footballing world lowered what that term means as i believe?

Who would you say are/ were genuinely world class players now and in the past and who would you say weren't but got called it?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: World Class Player

Post by Leeds1000 »

I have always liked Francesco Totti. Clever midfielder with an eye for goal. Adored by the Romans what more could you ask for.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

IMO being world class means you play for your country... but a poor manager can soon dilute that idea ...
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:09 pm I have always liked Francesco Totti. Clever midfielder with an eye for goal. Adored by the Romans what more could you ask for.
The best performance I’ve ever seen live by an opposing player, was Totti for Roma v Leeds at ER.
He was world class that night.

Current players off the top of my head, are Messi and Ronaldo.
There are a few contenders such as De Bruyne but he needs a great Euros or next World Cup to cement his place.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Gets in a world 11?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Lets throw some names about.

Kevin De Bruyne

Mo Salah

Bruno Fernandes

Son Heung Min

Raheem Sterling

James Maddison

Sadio Mane

Marcus Rashford

Are any of those world class?

We have been fortunate imo to live through a time when two truly world class players both played in Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, if you compare any player to them then no matter who it is the gulf will be large.

They are both well into their 30s and in decline but are still hitting numbers players like those above would give anything to hit.

Have they raised what it means to be world class to a point that we have to lower it for everyone else or are they just so unique it isnt fair to use them as a benchmark?
Last edited by Cjay on Fri May 14, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Cjay wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:06 pm Lets throw some names about.

Kevin De Bruyne

Mo Salah

Bruno Fernandes

Son Heung Min

Raheem Sterling

James Maddison

Sadio Mane

Marcus Rashford

We have been fortunate imo to live through a time when two truly world class players both played in Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, if you compare any player to them then no matter who it is the gulf will be large.

They are both well into their 30s and in decline but are still hitting numbers players like those above would give anything to hit.

Have they raised what it means to be world class to a point that we have to lower it for everyone else or are they just so unique it isnt fair to use them as a benchmark?
Of the list you submit CJ I would say De Bruyne & Mo Salah are world class... as you rightly point out with Messi & Ronaldo, the last decade they have been a step above and set a bar...what was the level of acceptance before them? What is the limit (number) you can give someone the world class status?...I think the first qualification is playing for your country, where to go after that, I believe it is unfair to go by trophy wins the super rich have that sewn up , but we do have players who without question are exceptional possible world class playing for lesser teams, in some ways when everything is on your shoulders, consistent excellent performances are not a given, in a lower team. That is not something the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, De Bryne or Sala have to worry about ...its a tough topic, for sure :tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I do agree it's become such an overused term that it can't really be applied literally in most cases. It's now used as a catch-all term for 'really good'.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Plays for Earth in the Pan Galactic Cup.

( I wonder by then if they will have VAR sorted out...)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Kevin De Bruyne - yes he can change a game on his own, just glad he never got on the pitch last time we played them

Mo Salah - for me not quite close but needs to be more consistent

Bruno Fernandes - no he may one day get there but one season doesn’t make you world class

Son Heung Min - no

Raheem Sterling - so close definitely one of the best in the Prem on his day but again not consistent enough

James Maddison - no

Sadio Mane - no plus he’s a moody so and so

Marcus Rashford - no, what he’s done this past year is fantastic, a young man that stood up for what he believes in and made a massive change makes him a world class human being but sorry not a world class footballer

All of the above are my own personal opinion and MOT forum does not imply any agreement with or condone these opinions especially the stupid ones
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

If you can't walk in to any team and significantly improve them, you aren't world class simple really.

To even consider Sterling means the game has gone to the 🐕🤔
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:49 pm Gets in a world 11?
Sensible bench mark MJ
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Playing for your country does not equate to being world class, or if you hold that view is there a pecking order of countries. For instance, is getting picked to play for Brazil/Germany/Italy etc....considered a step up from playing for Wales. Chris Gunter holds the record number of caps (I think it’s 100, or thereabouts) for Wales, but would anyone really consider him world class :duno:

Getting picked for your National team just means that the manager at the time rates you in that position, nothing more
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:06 pm Lets throw some names about.

Kevin De Bruyne

Mo Salah

Bruno Fernandes

Son Heung Min

Raheem Sterling

James Maddison

Sadio Mane

Marcus Rashford

Only De Bruyne for me Smudge.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oh and Sterling is a tw*t
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:57 am If you can't walk in to any team and significantly improve them, you aren't world class simple really.

To even consider Sterling means the game has gone to the 🐕🤔
:tup: :tup: :tup:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

It is overused but not nearly as much as 'starlet'. To be a starlet all you have to do is be under 23 and play football professionally.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

and then you have the clickbait Leeds ACE

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

As far as I know there is no set of criteria or parameter that is defined that can be applied to the term world class in football. Hence, it's an impressive sounding label that's applied arbitrarily and liberally.

When I think of world class players I think of Puskas, Pele, Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore, Cruyff, Zico, Platini, Maradona, Zidane, Stoichkov, Messi, Ronaldo, etc. But I can remember the "golden generation" of English football players, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Ferdinand, etc, frequently being referred to as world class even though they achieved very little at international level.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Definitely not Sterling.
He has as many poor games as good ones.
Rumour has it he will lose his place to Foden in the Champions League final.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden