The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th June) - Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th June) - Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 15th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity?

We're halfway through June, and yet to land a single target, but should we be concerned? Whilst I'm sure Victor Orta has not had a moments peace in the last fortnight, we continue to hear reports that the Whites are missing on on their first choice targets. Romain Perraud has somehow slipped through Leeds fingers, as has Nicolas Tagliafico who looks like he is on his way to Inter Milan. To rub salt into the wound, Cagliari have rejected Orta's approaches regarding Nahitan Nandez as the Sardinian club believe their player should go to a 'top team'. That's right, Cagliari sporting director Stefano Capozzucca was quoted as saying...

I'd be sorry to deprive myself of him [Nandez], but at the same time he deserves a top club. I deny an offer from Leeds.
Orta told us that he expected to get all transfer business concluded by the end of June. We are half way through the month, and yet to sign anyone!

Phillips attributes Leeds training methods to England success

Following his influential performance against Croatia, Kalvin Phillips has captured the imagination of millions of football fans. His superior energy levels in the sweltering heat had many wondering how the 25yo maintained a 94% passing accuracy! The 'Yorkshire Pirlo' was quick to attribute his fitness levels to the training at Thorp Arch, in particular 'Murder ball'.

I think it just goes to the stuff that I've done the last few years with Leeds. Yeah, Murderball and everything in general - we have a lot of running sessions at Leeds and we do very high intensity work at Leeds as well so I could only put it down to the guys at Leeds and obviously when I come here they help me do that as well.

Murderball is basically 11 v 11, 100 miles-per-hour, no fouls, so if I take you out, no foul carry on playing, no offsides. If the ball goes out you either play from one of the keeper's straight away or one of the coaches on the sidelines chucks a ball straight back in.

Whelan - 'Massive Coup' if Leeds land Marcelo

Noel Whelan believes Leeds are capable of landing Real Madrid legend Marcelo. The 33 year old has made 528 appearances for the La Liga giants since his transfer in 2007, but the arrival of Carlo Ancelotti looks set to end the Brazilian's tenure at the Bernabeu! Marcelo is versatile. He usually operates left back, but can play anywhere in midfield or on the left wing! At the age of 33, how many more miles does Marcelo have in the tank? Whelan was quoted as saying...

That would be a massive coup if Leeds can pull that one off,” “He’s a very professional player who has played at the top level pretty much since he started his career. “That would be very exciting. He’s someone who can pass on a lot of experience to the younger players there.

Would you like to see Marcelo demonstrate his trickery down the left wing, or is he a luxury player that Leeds don't need at this moment in time?

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th June) Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity

Post by mothbanquet »

Worried?

No.

Kalvin

Kalvin and Ben White are just the beginning. Bielsa is siring a whole new generation of England superstars. The longer he remains in this country, the better it will be for our national team for years to come.

Marcelo

I won't say no to anyone whom Bielsa deems worthy, can measure up to his standards and puts his all into every game. I'm not convinced Marcelo is even on his radar, however. Luxury players are definitely not in Bielsa's character to pursue.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th June) Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity

Post by DDB220 »

There can be little doubt that this transfer period will be difficult due to the continued pandemic travel restrictions, EURO’s, an extended lock down period and to some degree the managerial merri-go-round.
Plenty of rumours as per usual regarding linked players. We are inevitably linked with every player out of contract who occupies a position we are in the market for. Marcelo is just another example.

I imagine he would be looking for a minimum of a 2 year contract on big bucks. Whilst he could be a quality signing based upon his experience, his age and ability to achieve the fitness levels required of playing in the EPL at the level of intensity MB requires may be too much for him at this stage in his career.

Is the end of June realistic as a time line to have our transfer dealings wrapped up ? I think this is highly unlikely, players agents will be in no rush to get players to sign on the dotted line.

Just avoid all that click bait rubbish and enjoy the Euro’s.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th June) - Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity?

Post by weasel »

No need to panic, don't forget how late we swooped for Llorente and Raphinha. I dare say some of our targets may be playing at the euros and their clubs are probably holding out in the hope that a good tournament sees the value of their players rise. Whilst we have been linked with countless players we saw last year that, with the exception of Koch, most of our signings we heard little about until a day or two before they signed. Likely a lot of our targets are simply other agents or clubs doing the Peterboro routine of linking us with their player to drum up interest.

If Bielsa was in charge of the England team we wouldn't be worried about fitness at all. Thankfully the ridiculous myth of Bielsa burnout can hopefully be banished once and for all with KP coming from playing 2 seasons near non-stop to still being the fittest player on the pitch this summer for England.

Marcelo - On the face of it it just seems a nonsense story. Not sure Marcelo would fit in as Real Madrid aren't really known for high pressing and work rate.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 15th June) - Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity?

Post by HarryofOz »

To those of you who are not worried about our lack of signings so far - call yourselves Leeds fans? It is your duty as a Leeds fan to panic during every transfer window ;-)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
hector

Post by hector »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 am To those of you who are not worried about our lack of signings so far - call yourselves Leeds fans? It is your duty as a Leeds fan to panic during every transfer window ;-)
index.jpg
index.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

hector wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:22 amindex.jpg
That's more like it :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:00 am Worried?

No.

Kalvin

Kalvin and Ben White are just the beginning. Bielsa is siring a whole new generation of England superstars. The longer he remains in this country, the better it will be for our national team for years to come.

Marcelo

I won't say no to anyone whom Bielsa deems worthy, can measure up to his standards and puts his all into every game. I'm not convinced Marcelo is even on his radar, however. Luxury players are definitely not in Bielsa's character to pursue.
Augustin was a luxury

42 mins for 18m
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:13 am No need to panic, don't forget how late we swooped for Llorente and Raphinha. I dare say some of our targets may be playing at the euros and their clubs are probably holding out in the hope that a good tournament sees the value of their players rise. Whilst we have been linked with countless players we saw last year that, with the exception of Koch, most of our signings we heard little about until a day or two before they signed. Likely a lot of our targets are simply other agents or clubs doing the Peterboro routine of linking us with their player to drum up interest.

If Bielsa was in charge of the England team we wouldn't be worried about fitness at all. Thankfully the ridiculous myth of Bielsa burnout can hopefully be banished once and for all with KP coming from playing 2 seasons near non-stop to still being the fittest player on the pitch this summer for England.

Marcelo - On the face of it it just seems a nonsense story. Not sure Marcelo would fit in as Real Madrid aren't really known for high pressing and work rate.
Well said.

I can't believe you lot kept worrying about burn out!

Trust Bielsa!!!!!!!
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:45 am Augustin was a luxury

42 mins for 18m
He was a gamble, not a luxury, and the gamble didn't pay off. Luxury players are ones dining on their name and/or past successes and JKA was hardly either of those.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

No, that's Scotland fans... :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 am He was a gamble, not a luxury, and the gamble didn't pay off. Luxury players are ones dining on their name and/or past successes and JKA was hardly either of those.
Like Brolin
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning

Let's recall that last seasons 100m investment was to ensure prem football for the first two seasons.

14m for Harrison
18M set aside for the JKS fiasco.
I reckon two marquee signings at best.
Perhaps one

So I'm not worried by lack of TM activity.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Aye not worried at all. I was worried last year because i didn't think we had enough to compete, it turns out we did. Keeping Raph & Phillips more important.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Still don't think we should pay £18m for Big Kev. Red Bull would be doing exactly the same if it was the other way around. Morals my butt. A company that profits off people suffering heart attacks?!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Not worried as I'm sure Orta will get the right players at the right price and under radar.

KP is awesome, I'm so pleased he recovered in time for the Euros.

Whelan talks a load of shite, the only Marcelo we need is the one we already have.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Your last ID card pic ?... :P :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:43 pm Still don't think we should pay £18m for Big Kev. Red Bull would be doing exactly the same if it was the other way around. Morals my butt. A company that profits off people suffering heart attacks?!
Yeah, I'm sure we'll fight it all the way. But if we have to pay up, tell them they need to pick it up from Elland Road, all in one penny coins :lol:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Whelan - 'Massive Coup' if Leeds land Marcelo
Sorry, personally have absolutely no interest in such a high priced salary, given his age.

Phillips attributes Leeds training methods to England success
So proud of the lad... My prediction will be Captain for the world cup.

Should we be worried by lack of transfer activity?
Nah... agents playing it to the max given the ridiculous money being banded around by the stupid 6 and such.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Suggestion that de Paul is off to Athletico:

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/atletico- ... go-de-paul