Key factor sees Leeds as most likely side to sign Real Madrid veteran Marcelo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Key factor sees Leeds as most likely side to sign Real Madrid veteran Marcelo

Post by Smudge3920 »

A fantastic career...would it be worth risking him at 33 years old for a year and mentoring Huggins?... A good way of developing our prospect.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: Key factor sees Leeds tipped as most likely side to sign Real Madrid veteran

Post by Mountain »

The key factor with Marcelo is...will he take about pay cut of about 75%.

Great player but I always think with these news, the first issue must be salary. Marcelo variously reported as being anything from 150 to over 300k per week. Leeds won't pay anything like that for an aging player...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Key factor sees Leeds as most likely side to sign Real Madrid veteran Marcelo

Post by Irish Ian »

How the hell would signing him fit in with the ethos of this club?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Key factor sees Leeds as most likely side to sign Real Madrid veteran Marcelo

Post by Smudge3920 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:40 pm How the hell would signing him fit in with the ethos of this club?
Why don't you tell us?...All I am asking is he worth a risk for a year also to be used as a mentor to the likes of Huggins,to help develop him which, in the long term would save us a lot.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:40 pm How the hell would signing him fit in with the ethos of this club?
I agree with this fella. It is a move that would make little sense. Mentoring someone like Huggins is fine and well at another club but Bielsa works differently to any other club so what Marcelo could teach Huggins probably wouldn't be in line with what Bielsa would be teaching him. Now if it as someone who had worked previously under Bielsa maybe but Bielsa would be having to teach Marcelo how he wanted him to play so it just doesn't make any sense from a mentoring viewpoint.
We also see that Bielsa likes to develop players. Look at the loan signings we brought in and they were young players rather than players you could argue were first team ready. Would Bielsa really want someone coming in to just be here for a year or two, that would be doubtful.
You then have Marcelo at 33 - he isn't exactly a player that would be thinking I can come and play for Bielsa and he can make me a better player. He has been playing for Real Madrid so Marcelo wouldn't be coming here to improve in the hope of having a better career. At 33 also is Marcelo going to be able to get up and down the pitch to the demands of Bielsa? At Madrid it wasn't really a similar style of play so Marcelo would be going completely out of his comfort zone if he were to fit into the Bielsa machine.

Just doesn't make any sense to me, albeit he is a decent player.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:49 pm Why don't you tell us?...All I am asking is he worth a risk for a year also to be used as a mentor to the likes of Huggins,to help develop him which, in the long term would save us a lot.
Finances better spent elsewhere. Marcello will want a pension signing at his age.
He can't speak the language so Higgins will need a translator to follow them around. Mentoring is a delicate process involving a hell of a lot more than putting two people who play the same position together.
Last edited by Irish Ian on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

No sense in this move for me.

He's approaching the end of his career.

He'll cost a fortune in wages.

Rather we spent cash on a quality younger left back, or invested time in Leif Davis, etc.
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

There should always be experienced players in the squad, but then you should rather make your own aging players who know the team culture best, stay for a bit longer. When you are rebuilding a team for future you should avoid investing in aging, past their best players who might have a big ego as well.
For me this is a big NO NO!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Maybe we should have offered Berardi a new contract if we needed an experienced and very good defender to bring along the youth
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I have wondered why we didnt offer Berardi a contract along that vein....
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am Finances better spent elsewhere. Marcello will want a pension signing at his age.
He can't speak the language so Higgins will need a translator to follow them around. Mentoring is a delicate process involving a hell of a lot more than putting two people who play the same position together.
Good points...and yes I agree mentoring is a delicate process...I dont mention such obvious aspects of a topic as I credit all on here with the intelligence, knowledge and experience to already know that.
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dester23
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dester23 »

I don't know how many of you watch la liga
But I am from Spain and Marcelo right now is an ex-footballer
He had his worst season in years. He doesn't run, he doesn't press He misses a lot of passes and makes a lot of errors ni defence. Madrid has won a lot of games more when Marcelos is off the pitch.
I think he would struggle even in championship.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

dester23 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:09 pm I don't know how many of you watch la liga
He had his worst season in years. He doesn't run, he doesn't press He misses a lot of passes and makes a lot of errors ni defence. Madrid has won a lot of games more when Marcelos is off the pitch.
:tup:
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

dester23 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:09 pm I don't know how many of you watch la liga
Excellent input destar ...
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Wouldn't even entertain this as a signing ,hopefully it never happens we don't need over hyped has beens
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

woudnt even be able to afford his wages, nonsense move on.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sounds like the type of signing we'd make pre-Bielsa.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:03 pm Good points...and yes I agree mentoring is a delicate process...I dont mention such obvious aspects of a topic as I credit all on here with the intelligence, knowledge and experience to already know that.
You are such a wonderful person.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:01 am You are such a wonderful person.
I would have said this too but as Smudge credits all on here with intelligence, knowledge and experience then he would already know we all think that.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:01 am You are such a wonderful person.
Thank you ...