WIMBLEDON 2021

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

I don't think we have many (if any) tennis fans on here, but just in case....... :)

Starts tomorrow....
Last edited by whiteswan on Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

Breaking News
Jo Konta out of Wimbledon due to being in contact with someone who's tested positive for Covid - I'm gutted :(
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

I love singles tennis Swan, just no doubles thanks. I've got away from it a little due to some inattention, but would still love to see anyone but Nadal win the men's singles. :whip: Never liked the guy, don't know why, but loved Federer and Djokovic unconditionally.
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

...maybe I said that before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote: ↑Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:19 am I love singles tennis Swan, just no doubles thanks. I've got away from it a little due to some inattention, but would still love to see anyone but Nadal win the men's singles. :whip: Never liked the guy, don't know why, but loved Federer and Djokovic unconditionally.
Norm, welcome to the Wimbledon thread :) I thought I was gonna be all alone for the fortnight. As a kid I watched Wimbledon and loved the doubles, my faves being John Newccome and Tony Roche. My Grandad was a good tennis player and I remember the first time he took me to Rothwell tennis courts at the age of around eight.
I agree now though that it's the singles that are more exciting. But, I'm afraid I dont agree with you about Nadal.....for me it's the Djoker I can't stand but I cant see anyone beating him and I think he will get his 20th Grand Slam to equal Federer and Nadal.
Such a shame that our new kid on the block is up against Djoker in the first round, first game, Centre Court :tennis:
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

My Auntie Doreen (mother's sister) was the big tennis fan Swan and she taught me about tennis whilst watching it Lord knows how many years ago on a little black and white TV. I became an instant fan and loved seeing the likes of Rod Laver and Federer, etc., over the years. I never liked doubles for some reason, but always loved the singles.

Margaret Court anyone - 24 grand slam titles - even Serena hasn't caught her yet, though near(23 I think)!
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

Margaret Court, 2nd woman to win the Grand Slam of singles titles in one calender year - 1970 :tup:
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote: ↑Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:23 am My Auntie Doreen (mother's sister) was the big tennis fan Swan and she taught me about tennis whilst watching it Lord knows how many years ago on a little black and white TV. I became an instant fan and loved seeing the likes of Rod Laver and Federer, etc., over the years. I never liked doubles for some reason, but always loved the singles.

Margaret Court anyone - 24 grand slam titles - even Serena hasn't caught her yet, though near(23 I think)!
I used to watch it on black and white at my Nan's house Norm when I was a kid.
Yes, Serena is trying to catch Margaret Court but I don't think she will now. Too many young kids on the block I think....
Margaret Court has upset a lot of people with her beliefs Norm, have you seen that? So much so that many have clamoured for her name to be removed from her namesake court in Australia.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

Time for bed here Norm, 2.30 am. Back tomorrow with Wimledon, hope you get to watch some of it Norm
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

Djokovic half-way to a Grand Slam
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

whiteswan wrote:

I used to watch it on black and white at my Nan's house Norm when I was a kid.
Yes, Serena is trying to catch Margaret Court but I don't think she will now. Too many young kids on the block I think....
Margaret Court has upset a lot of people with her beliefs Norm, have you seen that? So much so that many have clamoured for her name to be removed from her namesake court in Australia.
No Swan, I hadn't seen that, but it doesn't take away from her tennis skills.
Let's keep achievements away from beliefs (that's my view anyway).
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8780
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Chilli D »

I will watch some of the tennis Swannie but the Euros and the Tour de France definitely take priority for me.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by White Riot »

If there's a British, or Bulgarian, player doing well I'll watch it, other than that I'm not too fussed.

When there was less sport on TV Wimbledon had a bigger audience and there were some great players, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, etc. The guys these days aren't so interesting imo.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

What a superb and gutsy performance from Andy Murray today, beating some guy who's name I cannot spell! Andy won three sets to one....remember, this guy hasn't played at Wimbledon for 4 years after having two hip operations, the latter resurfacing his hip with metal. No player has ever done this before. You just have to admire his willingness, determination and spirit. Okay, he may not recover from those four games.....it was a tough match, but for his fans (like me) it was such a real pleasure to see him at Wimbledon once more. It might be the last time but....I hope not
Norm
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 6930
Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 2:51 am
Location: SW Missouri USA

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Norm »

whiteswan wrote:

What a superb and gutsy performance from Andy Murray today, beating some guy who's name I cannot spell! Andy won three sets to one....remember, this guy hasn't played at Wimbledon for 4 years after having two hip operations, the latter resurfacing his hip with metal. No player has ever done this before. You just have to admire his willingness, determination and spirit. Okay, he may not recover from those four games.....it was a tough match, but for his fans (like me) it was such a real pleasure to see him at Wimbledon once more. It might be the last time but....I hope not
I'd like to see him (as a British player) win more slams but I think 3 is all he's going to get - don't get me wrong, it's still very creditable but his injuries and weaknesses have exceeded his capacity to win I think -- we'll have to wait and see.

When I lived in England tennis was one of my favourite sports to watch but, over here, they have these strange games which almost nobody else in the world plays, but which are classed as "World Series" and such. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy baseball, but only when the St. Louis Cardinals are doing well.

Oh well, c'est la vie! We've sold the house and are ready to come back over, with all the attendant problems that moving country entails.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by Finnatic »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:09 am I will watch some of the tennis Swannie but the Euros and the Tour de France definitely take priority for me.
Same here
User avatar
wilsdenwhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1476
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Good win for Katie Boulter yesterday in an entertaining game. Misery for Swan & Watson though.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

wilsdenwhite wrote: ↑Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 am Good win for Katie Boulter yesterday in an entertaining game. Misery for Swan & Watson though.
I think Katie Boulter is a lovely tennis played....I just hope she can stay injury free now.,
Heather Watson always gives her all.....just not sure if its enough in the big tournaments
Katie swan is just up and coming, needs to fill out a bit, put a bit of muscle on
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20737
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by whiteswan »

Roger Federer through as opponent slips on the grass and retires
Serena Williams out, as she slips on the grass and retires
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: WIMBLEDON 2021

Post by White Riot »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:32 am I used to watch it on black and white at my Nan's house Norm when I was a kid.
Yes, Serena is trying to catch Margaret Court but I don't think she will now. Too many young kids on the block I think....
Margaret Court has upset a lot of people with her beliefs Norm, have you seen that? So much so that many have clamoured for her name to be removed from her namesake court in Australia.
I remember watching Wimbledon in the good old days of tv aerials. Something had knocked our tv aerial so it was like a snow storm. My dad attached a rope to the tv aerial and was then running around the garden pulling the aerial in various directions to get a good signal, laugh a minute as he wasn't the most patient type :lol:

You couldn't make it up :shock:
Post Reply