Today's Games

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Today's Games - The Final

Post by SG90 »

liggy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am Is that the same German team that beat the defending champions 4-2
Portugal are an average side carried by Ronaldo. They're not a top side.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:51 am One of the pluses although we do play with seven defensive players, not pretty on the eye however a system that seems to work for Gareth.
If Bielsa could he'd play with no defensive players!

Kalvin isn't a defensive player for Leeds, he plays in a defensive area of the pitch but when he gets the ball he immediately knows where his options are and even if he passes sideways or backwards it is usually to start an attack that could end with us scoring a goal a couple of passes later or twenty passes later.

Southgate plays a defensive system in the hope we then won't concede or only 1 which then gives us a chance to win any game as we have players who can create a goal out of nothing and also good set piece players.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Dismissing Croatia( world cup finalists)Denmark etc

Dominated in the first half

Yes England are shyte give Howe the job he relegated Bournmouth and sacked from Burnley great CV ..no
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Despite the usual ney sayers

Bellingham sancho sakka England have all the potential to dominate world football over the next decade.
It comes around in cycles ask Holland theyve won SFA
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

liggy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:33 am Dismissing Croatia( world cup finalists)Denmark etc

Dominated in the first half

Yes England are shyte give Howe the job he relegated Bournmouth and sacked from Burnley great CV ..no
And Southgate was sacked by Middlesbrough.

If we had ambition, I'd go for Zidane or Conte, world class managers. But neither of them are yes men.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Annoys me how everyone keeps saying it was down to the luck of penalties, when we lost it in the 90 mins, being negative.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:39 am Almost... Italy, although having had most of the possession, England were done in by Southgates lack of game management. Going up so early, we should have piled on the pressure, it was way to early to start defending a lead...Italy's theatrics was 2nd to none, the foul on Grealish, should have been a red card, but the big one was this;
Red.jpg
Not even on the field of play and so dangerous, abysmal refereeing no official could miss that worst missed red card I have seen for a long time.

I cannot see how the blame for this can be anyone's but Southgates, terrible game management. The team did well under the circumstances.
Ciellini's wasn't a red card as it wasn't out of control, unnecessary force, last man etc. Yes a definite booking and very cynical. The foul on Grealish is one that has seen players get sent off but equally it is one that looks worse in slow-mo as the Italian ' foot rolled over the ball so had an element of bad luck rather than malicious. Think most of the time that is just a yellow too.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Well I'd stick with southgate
The players are playing for him and we've nearly won a major championship.
Ramsey was hardly a big name manager was he? have you went cold on Howe and stevie G🤣
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:20 am We didn't learn anything from the Croatia game, that's the point. Scored early, then parked the bus for the rest of the game and invited pressure, rather than killing off the game. What makes anyone think Southgate will change for next year's World Cup?
Think I nailed it in my prediction in that I had England to go 1-0 up and then get outplayed for the rest of the match. Knew we had the capability to go in front but then knew we'd simply then try parking the bus. If we'd conceded 2 or 3 in normal time it wouldn't have exactly been against the run of play.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Iets get to the semi final of a world cup
And lose on penalties in a final of a major
and sack the manager..clueless fookers
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Guessing you're one of those Leeds fans who wanted Mick McCarthy over Bielsa because he "knew the Championship". :roll:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:51 am Think I nailed it in my prediction in that I had England to go 1-0 up and then get outplayed for the rest of the match. Knew we had the capability to go in front but then knew we'd simply then try parking the bus. If we'd conceded 2 or 3 in normal time it wouldn't have exactly been against the run of play.
It was oh so predictable, that's the worst and most frustrating thing about it. Great managers would learn from it. Southgate was called "world class" for getting a dodgy penalty over Denmark. 1 shot on target in a major final is abysmal.

Like I said, we'll look back over these two tournaments as a golden opportunity lost. Other nations have young players too, better ones than England for sure.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

We do not learn from experience... we learn from reflecting on experience.

Will Southgate have learned his lessons from this defeat...they are hard lessons

We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience. -GBS

Will England be compelled to repeat the failures of the last 55 years.

As uncle Albert said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

WestgateRun wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:00 am On the bright side, we won't have to listen to muppets singing "Football's coming home..." or "Sweet Caroline" ad nauseum.
Italy beat Belgium, Spain and England (at Wembley). In the end, they deserved to lift the trophy.
That's become an embarrassment, it winds up other teams acting as a red rag, it's incredibly arrogant and as a song it's s**t ... About time we let it go.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 am Ciellini's wasn't a red card as it wasn't out of control, unnecessary force, last man etc. Yes a definite booking and very cynical. The foul on Grealish is one that has seen players get sent off but equally it is one that looks worse in slow-mo as the Italian ' foot rolled over the ball so had an element of bad luck rather than malicious. Think most of the time that is just a yellow too.
Have to say the reffing was superb last night, nailed every decision but not afraid to let play go on either. Thought the tackle on Grealish looked over the top, but on replay it wasn't, though it was a little bit OTT.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

No one has described southgate as world class

Were you expecting England to tonk the favourites for the match I wasn't

I backed France & Italy before it started.

Belgium are always massive under achievers...the england team are the future
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I have to say England are like the scum of international football. Reliant on penalties, lucky draws, diving for free kicks, overrated and overhyped players etc. Maybe it's why I find this team so hard to watch. Leeds in comparison are breath of fresh air.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

liggy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:13 am No one has described southgate as world class

Were you expecting England to tonk the favourites for the match I wasn't

I backed France & Italy before it started.

Belgium are always massive under achievers...the england team are the future
No I knew Italy would win. But I'd rather lose 2-1 in 90 mins and have a go, than park the bus for 90 mins hoping for penalties.

I can take losing as long as we have a go, like under Venables, Hoddle, Sven etc. But I can't support negative football and relying on dodgy penalties.

Belgium are as overrated by the media as England. It's a PL thing.
Last edited by SG90 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

liggy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:13 am No one has described southgate as world class

No one would have described Joachim Löw as a world class manager before he got the Germany job.

But he's won the World Cup, Confederations Cup and runner up in the Euros.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

I've never seen Ebgland in a final before

All the negativity is just ridiculous

We lost on pens ffs