The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 17th July) - European adventures, a Norwegian keeper & the best coach in the world

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 17th July) - European adventures, a Norwegian keeper & the best coach in the world

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good Morning. It's Saturday 17th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

A mini European adventure awaits in pre-season

Leeds United are set for a mini European adventure following the announcement of their latest two pre-season friendlies. With fixtures against Guiseley, Blackburn and Fleetwood in the calendar already Leeds have now announced games against Real Betis and Ajax.

The Real Betis game is scheduled for Saturday 31st July at 12:30pm and will take place at the exotic location of Loughborough University Stadium. The stadium holds around 3,500 spectators and has hosted multiple pre-season friendlies involving Premier League teams as well as the UEFA European Under 17 championships. Tickets for the match will be sold by the club and information on how to purchase these will be announced next week. The two sides have never played each other before but they are a team familiar to new left-back Junior Firpo who played 43 times the Seville club between 2017 and 2019.

Leeds will then take on Ajax of Amsterdam four days later at the Johan Cruyff Arena on Wednesday 4th august at 7:15pm. Unfortunately, as the Netherlands remain on the UK Governments ‘Amber List’ travel restrictions apply and they advise against all but essential travel. As such no away fans will be permitted for the friendly and no away tickets will be made available. Leeds have never met Ajax competitively, but the teams have played against each other in a couple of friendlies. The last a Queens Silver Jubilee Match in 1977 when Leeds won 2-1 thanks to goals from Joe Jordan and Allan Clarke

Both matches will be streamed via LIVENow, the pay-per-view platform founded by Leeds Chairman Andrea Radrizzani last year. Are you looking forward to these fixtures? Do you think it’s right to play a game in a country travelling fans can’t attend?

Leeds United pre-season fixtures;
Guiseley, Nethermoor Park, Tuesday 27th July 19:30
Blackburn Rovers, Ewood Park, Wednesday 28th July 19:30
Fleetwood Town, Highbury Stadium, Friday 30th July 19:00
Real Betis, Loughborough University, Saturday 31st July 12:30
Ajax, Johan Cruyff Arena, Wednesday 4th August 19:15

Leeds set to sign Norwegian goalkeeper Kristoffer Klaesson

With Kiko Casilla departing for Elche on loan for the season, Leeds look set to sign 20-year-old Norwegian goalkeeper Kristoffer Klaesson from Valerenga as his replacement according to reports coming from Norway. Klaesson has been on Victor Orta’s radar for couple of years now and Leeds have apparently submitted an offer very close to his valuation. The young keeper has been impressive for Valerenga since breaking into the first team, making 54 appearances for them in the Norwegian Eliteserien, keeping 12 clean sheets.

One sticking point could be a work permit but Leeds are confident Klaesson will obtain a UK work permit according to Nettavisen journalist Stian André de Wahl.

The signing of Klaesson would mean Leeds had a very young goalkeeping department with Illan Meslier (21), Elia Caprile (19) and Dani van den Heuvel (18) already at the club. Are Leeds right to go for youth or would having a more experienced keeper at the club be beneficial, especially given the relative inexperience behind Meslier?

Bielsa, the best but the toughest - Gaetano Berardi

In a recent interview for TuttoMercatoWeb, Gaetano Berardi revealed that Marcelo was the best but toughest coach he had ever worked for.

I evaluated him with my own eyes, he has everything to be a great coach. He has shown it in the three years at Leeds, it is very difficult to work for him. He has great demands from all points of view. On a physical level you have to be perfect, nutrition, weight, you have to follow the programs given on summer days off to the letter. During the lockdown there was a specific program to follow. You must be the perfect athlete, before being a footballer.

This is his base, he starts here and works on everything else. He wants the footballer on a physical level to be able to work on other aspects. There is a lot of intensity in training and matches, therefore physical condition at the top. Then work on much more. Everyone can get his own idea, but for me he was the best coach I have had. For my part he really improved all the players, from the first to the last, especially this year with the guys who were the same ones who arrived from the Championship.

Bielsa has players such as Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper and Stuart Dallas playing at levels far beyond what anyone would ever have expected of them, far beyond what they would have expected of themselves. But is there a time when the intensity of the training and the demands placed upon them by Bielsa will catch up with them? Bielsa burnout has been proven to be a myth on a season by season basis but will his methods have a longer term impact on the players?

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 17th July) – European adventures, a Norwegian keeper & the best coach in the wo

Post by HarryofOz »

Can we please ban the phrase 'set to sign' from the Breakfast Debates ;-)

Can we not use 'linked with' instead :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 17th July) – European adventures, a Norwegian keeper & the best coach in the wo

Post by Smudge3920 »

Bielsa, the best but the toughest - Gaetano Berardi
I guess now they cannot use "burn out" by seasons end it makes sense now to talk about long lasting effects on a player... :) ...Some of these reporters have no idea

Leeds set to sign Norwegian goalkeeper Kristoffer Klaesson
I cannot decide on this one, I see both sides of the matter...

A mini European adventure awaits in pre-season
Not sure why teams want to travel abroad for pre season.... And I would say it is unfair on the supporters if its held in a place or venue they cannot have access to.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 am Bielsa, the best but the toughest - Gaetano Berardi
I guess now they cannot use "burn out" by seasons end
You say that, but I wonder how far into the season it will be before it's trotted out again by some lazy reporter who hasn't done their homework, but remembers a vague headline in the Sun last season.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Smudge3920 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:22 am Bielsa, the best but the toughest - Gaetano Berardi
I guess now they cannot use "burn out" by seasons end it makes sense now to talk about long lasting effects on a player... :) ...Some of these reporters have no idea

I was thinking more like Klich last season. Two seasons without missing a beat then it all caught up with him. Forced to plan on through a hip injury due to the small squad size. Can say it didn’t have a detrimental impact on him.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 17th July) - European adventures, a Norwegian keeper & the best coach in the wo

Post by SG90 »

I get the feeling Meslier will be sold next summer for big money, hence wanting another young GK rather than an experienced one.

Berardi is in his 30s, as is Klich, so there's only so much they can do before the intensity hits them and they can't recover as fast as younger players. Cooper, Ayling and Dallas will start to feel it next year, which is why it's important to give young players more game time at this level.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:32 am I was thinking more like Klich last season. Two seasons without missing a beat then it all caught up with him. Forced to plan on through a hip injury due to the small squad size. Can say it didn’t have a detrimental impact on him.
I think the Klich case would probably have happened with any player who had played in every match for 3 seasons especially with the lack of rest period between the last 2 seasons. I doubt there were many players in any league that had played the same amount of matches as Klich has done during that time and at the same level. I think you just have to look at how KP did during the Euros to debunk the myth though as KP was playing at an intensity that was higher than just about every player and he has played 3 seasons under Bielsa where he has only missed matches through injuries or suspensions.

For me there is no reason why the players cannot play at this level of intensity for years - your body gets used to it and we have seen less injuries to players that are now used to the Bielsa way (Dallas, Bamford, Ayling etc) and it seems that once you get over the initial demands your body is okay (look at how many players seem to have had injuries and struggled in their first Bielsa season especially new signings).
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Saturday 17th July) - European adventures, a Norwegian keeper & the best coach in the wo

Post by whiteswan »

Why choose to play your last pre-season game in another country, only a week before the Premier league starts when there is still a pandemic going on :dun:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:41 am Why choose to play your last pre-season game in another country, only a week before the Premier league starts when there is still a pandemic going on :dun:
Because commonsense has gone out of window Swannie, everybody thinks covid is over, how wrong they are :(
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

A mini European tour will be good practice for the following season's Champions League campaign after we finish in the top four this season.

Kris Kristofferson could be a real un, judging by his performance in Blade. If we buy him we have the option to sign Kenny Rogers too, but apparently KR doesn't fancy the tackling so much, in Norway they've named him The Coward Of The County.

The players made it through last season without burning out, and that was off the back of the previous season ending later, very little time to prepare the new signings and a jump up in the quality level of the opposition.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:32 am I was thinking more like Klich last season. Two seasons without missing a beat then it all caught up with him. Forced to plan on through a hip injury due to the small squad size. Can say it didn’t have a detrimental impact on him.
There lies the rub YS...was the injury caused by MB's strict regime or in open play? most injuries are caused in open play by contact...
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

White Riot wrote:
Kris Kristofferson could be a real un, judging by his performance in Blade. If we buy him we have the option to sign Kenny Rogers too, but apparently KR doesn't fancy the tackling so much, in Norway they've named him The Coward Of The County.
that Kenny Rogers must be a real tough one to come back from beyond the grave Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

rab_rant wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:53 pm that Kenny Rogers must be a real tough one to come back from beyond the grave Image
With Bielsa everything is possible
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:35 pm Can we please ban the phrase 'set to sign' from the Breakfast Debates ;-)

Can we not use 'linked with' instead :)
:shock:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:25 pm
Bielsa has players such as Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper and Stuart Dallas playing at levels far beyond what anyone would ever have expected of them, far beyond what they would have expected of themselves. But is there a time when the intensity of the training and the demands placed upon them by Bielsa will catch up with them? Bielsa burnout has been proven to be a myth on a season by season basis but will his methods have a longer term impact on the players?

I disagree. Look at Klich. Not only was he running on fumes, but the worse thing is all the Leeds coaches didn't recognise it, even though we were saying it week in,. week out!

The Premier League fixture list is nowhere near as bad as the Championship though. I do wonder is certain players hadn't got injured, whether they would have had the stamina to finish on top?
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Smudge3920 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 pm There lies the rub YS...was the injury caused by MB's strict regime or in open play? most injuries are caused in open play by contact...

He injured his hip early on in the season and played several games whilst injured because we had no other options. People were slagging Klich off on here week in week out but it was clear he was carrying a knock, forced to play on because of the small squad. Only when Dallas emerged as a No8 candidate did Klich get rest.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:38 pm He injured his hip early on in the season and played several games whilst injured because we had no other options. People were slagging Klich off on here week in week out but it was clear he was carrying a knock, forced to play on because of the small squad. Only when Dallas emerged as a No8 candidate did Klich get rest.
:tup: