The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th July) - Leeds poised to sign Kalvin Phillips understudy

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th July) - Leeds poised to sign Kalvin Phillips understudy

Post by Cjay »

Bate wont get near the first team under Bielsa.

Its phenomenally difficult to break into MB's first choice 18 as we have seen and for as long as he has enough of that 18 available to make 3 subs and select a first choice 11 then nobody will break in.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th July) - Leeds poised to sign Kalvin Phillips understudy

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:46 pm Bate wont get near the first team under Bielsa.

Its phenomenally difficult to break into MB's first choice 18 as we have seen and for as long as he has enough of that 18 available to make 3 subs and select a first choice 11 then nobody will break in.
It is difficult to break into Bielsa's first XI because it is a pretty strong XI and it is because he has made them strong. What we have also seen is a lot of fringe player that we had high hopes for leave and I don't think any have proved Bielsa was wrong.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:11 am I don't know anything about Bate but at 18 I doubt he would break into our first team for at least a couple of years.
As you say Chilli, one for the future if Bate actually signs for Leeds.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:07 pm It is difficult to break into Bielsa's first XI because it is a pretty strong XI and it is because he has made them strong. What we have also seen is a lot of fringe player that we had high hopes for leave and I don't think any have proved Bielsa was wrong.
You can always improve a first 11 though, no first 11 in the world cant be improved, ours is no different.

I think at times our fans go overboard in rating our youth players and youth signings.

Jordan Stevens was going to be a star not long ago, he has joined Harrogate.

Robbie Gotts was another.

Bielsa hasnt been proven wrong was just pointing out the idea that Bate is going to be close to the first team is very slim.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gylfi Sigurdsson (allegedly) arrested on Child sex offences

A Premier League footballer in England was arrested on suspicion of alleged child sex offences on July 16. The footballer in question is a member of the top English Premier League club Everton and has already been suspended by the club pending further investigation. Everton on Monday issued a statement regarding the same, confirming that the club has "suspended a First-Team player".

According to a report in Mbl.is, the player arrested was Gylfi Sigurdsson, who plays for the Icelandic national team. Another report by Iceland's Stundin newspaper stated that several British newspapers had reported the arrest earlier without mentioning Gylfi by name.

"Everton can confirm it has suspended a First-Team player pending a police investigation. The Club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time," Everton said in its statement.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm You can always improve a first 11 though, no first 11 in the world cant be improved, ours is no different.

I think at times our fans go overboard in rating our youth players and youth signings.

Bielsa hasnt been proven wrong was just pointing out the idea that Bate is going to be close to the first team is very slim.
Well said but Bielsa would rather play a player out of position than give an u23 a try out
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:33 pm You can always improve a first 11 though, no first 11 in the world cant be improved, ours is no different.

I don't recall anyone saying Stevens or Gotts would be stars lol. The one who has been hyped up for years is Kenneh. Hopefully he will get a chance.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:15 pm Well said but Bielsa would rather play a player out of position than give an u23 a try out
Yes sadly that is true.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:27 pm As you say Chilli, one for the future if Bate actually signs for Leeds.
Being English we will be able to sell for a big profit too. :tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:15 pm Well said but Bielsa would rather play a player out of position than give an u23 a try out
If Bielsa didn't play players 'out of position' then Kalvin Phillips wouldn't be where he is today.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Young English players will see what MB has done for Kalvin, who let's be honest wasn't the most talented youngster, and will think "that could be me". We're in a good position to sign young English talent now.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:06 pm Gylfi Sigurdsson (allegedly) arrested on Child sex offences

A Premier League footballer in England was arrested on suspicion of alleged child sex offences on July 16. The footballer in question is a member of the top English Premier League club Everton and has already been suspended by the club pending further investigation. Everton on Monday issued a statement regarding the same, confirming that the club has "suspended a First-Team player".

According to a report in Mbl.is, the player arrested was Gylfi Sigurdsson, who plays for the Icelandic national team. Another report by Iceland's Stundin newspaper stated that several British newspapers had reported the arrest earlier without mentioning Gylfi by name.

"Everton can confirm it has suspended a First-Team player pending a police investigation. The Club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time," Everton said in its statement.

He's been that excited with the name of the opposition he scored a hat-trick and won MOTM :evil:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Hopefully Bate isn't a Trojan horse that's dropped the s and been gift-wrapped by Uncle Ken :duno:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:36 pm Young English players will see what MB has done for Kalvin, who let's be honest wasn't the most talented youngster, and will think "that could be me". We're in a good position to sign young English talent now.
Agree SG.

I thought this with KP's appearance at the Euros, it really does plonk us as a club and MB firmly in the minds of potential recruits and I wouldn't just restrict this to young English players. We're back on the world map, not that we were ever off it in my mind, and any player with a brain between his lugs and an ambitious drive for improvement and success should be knocking our door down.

But then again, nobody ever said footballers were the sharpest tools in the box ;-)

I'm still hoping we bring in a marquee number 10/ACM this summer, as regardless of Rodrigo probably having a brilliant season, we still need options in that area, particularly if Rodders, or Paddy get injured too, as Rodders is our backup striker. It is healthy to have fierce competition for first team places, and really ambitious players should seek this.

I want us to push on for the top four, the sooner the better, and this could be the key to that objective. The quicker we're on the path to success the more likely MB is to stay on.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

:tup: imo having a first team squad with quality in depth is essential, and I believe we're gradually building towards that. To be the best you need to have fierce competition for first team places and should never sit on your laurels. We should always be looking to improve, regardless of how much we succeed.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 pm We should always be looking to improve, regardless of how much we succeed.
That's what great teams do to maintain success :tup:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:20 pm That's what great teams do to maintain success :tup:
Yep, you should always recognize and respect our past achievements. But if you sit on your laurels, time waits for no one, and you get left behind, as we're unfortunately all very familiar with.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

mothbanquet wrote:

If Bielsa didn't play players 'out of position' then Kalvin Phillips wouldn't be where he is today.
True