The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 30th July) - Leeds in the mix for Herrera, Cajuste and O’Brien

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 30th July) - Leeds in the mix for Herrera, Cajuste and O’Brien

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 30th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds in race to land City ace

Various media outlets are linking Leeds will a move for Manchester City's midfielder Yangel Herrera. Though the Yorkshire Evening Post's Graham Smyth has denied that he is on their shortlist. The talented Venezuelan International has many admirers having impressed whilst on loan with La Liga outfit Granada. The 23 year old made 62 appearances, netting 5 times during his two year stay.

Herrera signed for the blue side of Manchester during the 2017 January transfer window, age just 17. Since then, he has spent almost all of his time on loan, enjoying successful stints at New York City, Huesca and finishing off with Granada. City value the defensive midfielder at 20m; rich pickings for someone who has never played for his own club before! Atletico Madrid and West Ham are also in hot pursuit. Let's hope Bielsa can use his persuasive powers!

Leeds United in the mix for Swedish international Jens Cajuste

Claus Steinlein, the chairman of Danish Superliga runners-up Midtjylland is preparing for the departure of young midfielder Jens Cajuste. The Swedish international has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs including Leeds and Newcastle as well as French team Rennes. Cajuste was not in the squad for either leg of Midtjylland’s win over Celtic, or their Superliga win over Aalborg in between adding to the rumours his departure is imminent.

The 21-year-old operates primarily in a central midfield role and area of the pitch Leeds are known to be looking to strengthen ahead of the 2021-2022 Premier League season. Cajuste is an all-action midfielder whose attributes look ready-made for Premier League football. Tough tackling, close control and accurate passing are seen as his main strengths. A fee somewhere in the region of £13-£15 million should be enough to secure a move from Midtjylland.

Leeds close in on Terriers talisman

Having missed out out on starlet Conor Gallagher, Leeds have immediately turned their attention to Huddersfield Town's prized asset Lewis O’Brien. The Colchester born midfielder rose through the ranks at the John Smith's Stadium to become not just a fans favourite but the first name on the team sheet.

The Terriers will want a substantial sum for the 22 year old; unfortunately for the, he only has twelve months left on his contract though they do have the option to extend his contract by a further twelve months. Talks between the local rivals are believed to be at the preliminary stage. Huddersfield fans have taken to social media to express their anger and dismay at potentially losing their talisman to their arch enemy!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 30th July) Leeds in race to land City ace

Post by The Subhuman »

I like the look of Herrera, A Kalvin/Klich cross type of player. No idea if we're in for him though. Nothing ever seems to come of most of these links.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 30th July) Leeds in race to land City ace

Post by Cjay »

G'mornin

Hererra is definitely the best of the links imo. Earned a really solid reputation in La Liga, a key player for Grenada (plucky underdogs) and Atletico Madrid being interested speaks volumes.

Given our good relationship with money bags maybe we could do a loan to buy similar to Harrison?

Huddersfield fans dont really rate Lewis O'Brien it seems and he just looks like your typical average Championship plodder with no standout areas.

If you buy from the lower leagues you buy the best prospects (Olise for example).

We need someone better than we have, buying squad fillers like O'Brien (and Gallagher) is totally the wrong attitude.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

With Herrera, it would be nice to do a similar deal to the one we did for Jack Harrison, and take him on loan with an option (not an obligation, like JKA and Costa) to buy. Then we can see if he has what's required for us, and whether he is good enough for the first eleven.

Looking at the YT highlight reels he looks like a proper baller who can excel either defensively, or in an advanced position in midfield. I really think that he might be the answer to our need for a playmaker, that's been evident since Saiz left almost three years ago. All great sides need a playmaker, end of, and at the moment I don't see that we have one, and this really limits our attacking potential, particularly when opponents sit deep, as many will do this season.

Roberts has shown a few flashes, but nothing that would suggest to me he's good enough to be our playmaker. I do feel that the key to this season being good, or great, will be Rodrigo. Orta and MB, possibly bought him with the knowledge that Bamford was still unproven at PL level, so they needed the insurance of a class striker if Paddy was firing blanks and lost confidence. But, Paddy was brilliant last season, and proved he's integral to our play and finishing, which leads me to believe that barring injury, illness, or suspension MB rightly sees him as our primary striker.

That means Roberts, and Rodrigo need to be effective as a 10. Both had a good run of games in that position, but imo neither one commanded the role. Rodrigo was unfortunate with illness and injury, which hampered his season, and bedding in to a new club and an unaccustomed position can't be easy without the unavailability too. The pressure on Rodrigo is now immense, he missed the Euros, he's our record signing, he's not a youngster, he had a stop, start first season and only really seemed to excel when Paddy, was rested, injured, or knackered enough that Rodders was given a chance as striker, which is his accustomed role and the position he feels most confident playing in.

I really do hope and pray Rodrigo can settle in this season as a 10 and push himself and the side onto greatness. Surely MB looked to recruit him in the knowledge that he could be successfully molded into this position. He'll have further competition for his place if we sign someone like Herrera, and especially if Herrera then shows signs of being our 10. It may be that Bielsa is looking at two DMs similar to England, and then giving Kalvin a free reign to get forward and run our play. With the way KP has progressed he may be capable of this too, he's already shone on the world stage and might be deemed world class as a DM.

If Orta, and more importantly Bielsa, believe that Herrera is good enough to take a punt on and secure him permanently, then I'd be much more in favour of that than us paying a high price to lavish the coaching skills of Bielsa on a Ben White/Conor Gallagher. Helping our opponents in the long term for a short term gain is not what we should be doing now, as there's no long term benefit to that strategy, i.e. we're then making our competitors stronger and richer and paying to do it = illogical approach.

With the Huddersfield lad, O'Brien, if MB deems him good enough, then yes, let's snap up young talent like him before Udders and co start quoting silly prices like Brighton did for Ben White, who they hardly played as a CB last season. If Potter's a good coach, which isn't my opinion, then what's Ben White doing at RWB? Madness and a waste of talent, yet they still creamed 50 million squid off the back of the hard work Bielsa did in developing him at CB.

Herrera and O'Brien are two good acquisitions, that can hopefully immediately improve the quality and depth of our first team squad and represent a good long-term approach, same as the classy young Kris Kristofferson goalie we're buying from Norway.

Things are looking really positive and promising, and I for one am glad the Gallagher deal fell through.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Looking at the highlight reels, O'Brien looks literally like a young Forshaw 2.0, so I believe he'd just provide cover at DM.

Wish the best to Forshaw, but after two years out, and a long standing hip injury, I seriously doubt he'll survive the rigours of Bielsa's training regime and the pace of the Prem, But time will tell if I'm right.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Leeds United in the mix for Swedish international Jens Cajuste

Claus Steinlein, the chairman of Danish Superliga runners-up Midtjylland is preparing for the departure of young midfielder Jens Cajuste. The Swedish international has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs including Leeds and Newcastle as well as French team Rennes. Cajuste was not in the squad for either leg of Midtjylland’s win over Celtic, or their Superliga win over Aalborg in between adding to the rumours his departure is imminent.

The 21-year-old operates primarily in a central midfield role and area of the pitch Leeds are known to be looking to strengthen ahead of the 2021-2022 Premier League season. Cajuste is an all-action midfielder whose attributes look ready-made for Premier League football. Tough tackling, close control and accurate passing are seen as his main strengths. A fee somewhere in the region of £13-£15 million should be enough to secure a move from Midtjylland.

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Man City aren't interested in a loan to buy, they need to sell fringe players for ffp. I'd love Herrera, but £20m is really expensive. I'd only spend that much on a 10/striker.

There's nothing in O'Brien links. It's come from Alan Nixon, which tells you all you need to know.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 30th July) - Leeds in the mix for Herrera, Cajuste and O’Brien

Post by Johnboy1965 »

We're going to have one hell of a u23 team next year with all the kids we are signing. Can only hope this means that some of our current crop of youngsters like Summerville, Greenwood and Geldhart can make it into the first team squad and get a few games.
Really like Summerville, he's quick, tricky and gets his head up. I'd have him behind Raph and Jack but in front of Costa and Poveda at the minute to be fair. Would love to see him have a crack at a tiring PL defence with 20 mins to go.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:40 am I like the look of Herrera, A Kalvin/Klich cross type of player. No idea if we're in for him though. Nothing ever seems to come of most of these links.
Will be interesting to see which unlinked players we actually sign.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 30th July) - Leeds in the mix for Herrera, Cajuste and O’Brien

Post by Carrick Dave »

Final friendly against Villareal announced, and it's included in the Livenow pre-season pass.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:03 am We're going to have one hell of a u23 team next year with all the kids we are signing. Can only hope this means that some of our current crop of youngsters like Summerville, Greenwood and Geldhart can make it into the first team squad and get a few games.
Really like Summerville, he's quick, tricky and gets his head up. I'd have him behind Raph and Jack but in front of Costa and Poveda at the minute to be fair. Would love to see him have a crack at a tiring PL defence with 20 mins to go.
Agreed should be on a 9 man bench if that's still happening.. Feels like he could change a game.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 pm Agreed should be on a 9 man bench if that's still happening.. Feels like he could change a game.
Definitely- that's what we've been lacking a bit recently- a genuine wide player who can change a game. With Costa and Poveda don't really get the feeling they can do that as they are too inconsistent and a bit predictable.
Summerville's unpredictability coupled with his knack of picking out the correct pass makes him a real threat IMO.
He impressed me last season and the kid deserves a chance.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

If he is capable of getting his head up and picking a pass (Summerville) why behind Harrison who is actually better when he doesn't get the time to think about it imo.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Because Harrison is proven in the PL and Summerville isn't (yet) and needs bringing into the team gradually rather than throwing him straight in. Hopefully if he continues to develop as he is doing it won't be long before he is challenging for a start.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Good enough old enough in the old days. Well he managed a season let's see how everyone goes before we proclaim anyone premier quality. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. Hopefully they all are🤞