The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th August) Leeds continue miserable pre season with double Ajax defeat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th August) Leeds continue miserable pre season with double Ajax defeat

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 5th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds continue miserable pre season with double Ajax defeat

Leeds continued their miserable pre season with a 4-0 defeat against Dutch Champions Ajax. Whilst Ajax may be a formidable force in Holland, the Eredivisie League is poor, and does not even feature in the top 10 soccer leagues in the World, a list that has the US Major League in it!

The Leeds youngsters had lost 3-1 earlier in the day, though their spirited second half performance deserved a much closer scoreline. The Whites finally got a consolation with only a few minutes remaining after Max Dean was bought down in the area. He stepped up himself to put himself to reduce the deficit to two! Former Spurs man Rafael van der Vaart, now pundit praised the Dutch giants, but took a swipe at the West Yorkshire starlets on social media...

I have seen some beautiful football, Ajax are producing some top-talents again. Let’s not talk about Leeds United. They tried their best, but there’s not 1 player that impressed me this afternoon. I expected more from them, they got outplayed by 17/18 year olds.

If he wasn't impressed by Mark Jackson's youngsters, then his thoughts on the performance of the first XI are probably best kept to himself. Davy Klaassen, Ryan Gravenberch, Dusan Tadic, Daley Blind, Sebastien Haller and Steven Berghuisare were all on show for the Eredivisie Champions, though in truth, they face players of this calibre week in, week out in the Premiership!

Two goals in either half with little resistance from the Whites have hopefully sent shockwaves through the Elland Road camp as they now prepare for a much harder challenge in just over a weeks time when they visit Old Trafford! Even Bielsa is starting to show the strain. Shackleton received a terrible head injury which left him dazed and shaken and had to be taken off. A raging Bielsa could be seen berating the poor lad as he came off. We have never seen him lose control like this! Perhaps the frustrations are getting to him?

Leeds will face Villarreal on Saturday in their final pre season game.

Bid made for Argentine forward

Italian news outlet TuttoMercatoWeb have claimed that Leeds have made a bid to bring CSKA Moscow centre-forward Adolfo Gaich to Elland Road. Nicknamed 'the tank' the 22 year old Argentine was was on Victor Orta's wish list last year, but ended up at CSKA Moscow in a deal worth 8.5 million euros. Unfortunately, things have not gone well since his transfer and was loaned out to recently relegated Serie A outfit Benevento in January after just 13 games. Gaich signed a 5 year deal with the Russian Champions, and has a £25.6 million release clause in his contract.

Leeds bid for O'Brien turned down

Leeds have had a formal approach turns down buy Huddersfield for their prized asset Lewis O'Brien. The 22 year old midfielder only has a year left on his contract, though have are able to exercise a clause in his contract to extend that by another twelve months.
O'Brien has been top of Bielsa's wish list since losing out on Chelsea's Conor Gallagher who opted to stay in London and join Patrick Viera's Crystal Palace. Since the interest from Leeds, Town have slapped a £10m price tag on their star player. It is not known how much Leeds offered, but they will have to dig deeper to land the youngster. It is believed that O'Brien is keen on a move to Elland Road!

Is it time to press the panic button yet?

'Its only a friendly', 'the scoreline doesn't matter', 'it was a good run out'! Is it time to remove the blinkers, and assess why the Whites have had a torrid pre season? Leeds could have used that excuse at Ewood Park as they came from behind to grab a late draw against a very depleted Blackburn side, but as preparations have intensified, their performances have not reached a satisfactory standard!

Leeds prided themselves on having the fittest side in the Premiership last term Nine weeks later, Bielsa's squad should have maintained an advantage over their competition, yet each game does not reflect our superiority and have been littered by constant mistakes and poor passing! Yes, its only a pre-season game, but it's only a pre season game for our opposition too!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th August) Leeds end miserable pre season on a low

Post by The Subhuman »

Panic button why? Don't think anything has gone wrong yet. We've played some pre seasons friendlies to get players warmed up for the coming season. In most cases we were behind teams in pre season minutes, we've mixed and matched teams and we' don't take the pre season that seriously.

It's why I didn't pay for the games and why I made little effort to watch them. Watched a movie last night and never saw more than about 75 minutes in total of preseason. I doubt I'll watch the Villareal game, I think we're playing them, but if I've nothing better to do I might try to find a Polish stream again

Striker sounds interesting, but if he cost 8M and they're looking to get rid it sounds like we'll get him cheap and stick him on the bench once he gets up to speed. We have two strikers ... I'd keep prodding Hudds, incrementally higher bids seems in order.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 5th August) Leeds end miserable pre season on a low

Post by Allrounder »

Isn't there still a game to go against Villareal?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Why would MB be shouting at Shack for getting a head injury? Surely he was shouting at whomever gave him it, he is fiercely protective.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Gaich clearly hasn’t cut the mustard in Russia so I don’t see how he would do any better in the Prem, it’s probably just the fact that he’s Argentinian that has prompted that Italian news outfit to put 2 and 2 together to make 5.

As I reported yesterday, Town fans (and the club it seems) are desperate to keep hold of O’Brien so that in itself makes me more eager to nick him 😉. But seriously, according to his YouTube video (I know) he does look a very good progressive footballer, speedy with quick feet and an excellent tackling ability. Without doubt a Bielsa type player!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

The whole pre season discussion is a moot point now imo, the evidence is there to be seen what MB's priorities are and results are not a high priority, if they were he would field the strongest 11 each game, which would be madness.

Rumours, rumours, rumours transfer windows drive me mad..I am trying to limit myself to official club announcments, but it is difficult to do without eliminating all the news threads.

I really cannot see MB berating Shacks, so I reviewed the incident and I am sure he was angry at what happened, in a friendly.

No panic button need be pressed long way from that.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Allrounder wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:38 am Isn't there still a game to go against Villarreal?
Yes the Europa Cup Champions.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I, like Faaip, haven't seen any of the games so I can't comment on performances but I have to admit, last night's result was a little alarming. I thought we would probably lose but not by such a convincing defeat.
Ajax may be the best team in the Netherlands but that doesn't say a lot these days and they have no world class players in their team.
I'm hoping all will be well come the 14th August and a better result against Villareal will go some way to easing my nerves.
I think Saturday's starting line up will give us an indication of Bielsa’s likely line up for OT.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

If Mb & Victor can pull the deal together regarding Mikkel Damsgaard it would help eleviate a lot of the panic some are feeling... but it does bode the question, will MB try to recreate him as a 10?...how would he fit in as a winger?
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 am I, like Faaip, haven't seen any of the games so I can't comment on performances but I have to admit, last night's result was a little alarming. I thought we would probably lose but not by such a convincing defeat.
Ajax may be the best team in the Netherlands but that doesn't say a lot these days and they have no world class players in their team.
I'm hoping all will be well come the 14th August and a better result against Villareal will go some way to easing my nerves.
I think Saturday's starting line up will give us an indication of Bielsa’s likely line up for OT.
I agree Ajax hasn't got any out and out WC player, but every single player was technically very good and even when they subbed the entire team (well almost) the incoming players just did jell in beautifully. Their acadamay and their ability to produce such good players is admirable and I believe Leeds wants to imitate that.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Allrounder wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 am I agree Ajax hasn't got any out and out WC player, but every single player was technically very good and even when they subbed the entire team (well almost) the incoming players just did jell in beautifully. Their acadamay and their ability to produce such good players is admirable and I believe Leeds wants to imitate that.
Excellent post Ajax are technically a very good team. IMO as I stated yesterday, they deserved to win ( meaningless as the game was) but it was not an emphahtic 4-0 hiding, it could quite easily have been 4-2, if not 4-3 the boys showed some good spells yesterday. Bamford hit the post, Dallas 2 shots turned over the bar and Struijk 2 good headed attempts
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dutch Peacock
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dutch Peacock »

faaip wrote:Why would MB be shouting at Shack for getting a head injury? Surely he was shouting at whomever gave him it, he is fiercely protective.
Maybe Bielsa was shouting to his staff around Shackleton to get him off as soon as possible so that they could continue the game.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 am I, like Faaip, haven't seen any of the games so I can't comment on performances but I have to admit, last night's result was a little alarming. I thought we would probably lose but not by such a convincing defeat.
Ajax were Champions League semi-finalists the season before last. Just because they're not thrashing the likes of Barcelona or Juventus every season doesn't mean they aren't part of what is generally considered the European elite. For all those thinking we should be pushing for a Europe spot, this is the reality.

And even for all that, this is only a pre season game, a meaningless friendly just as inconsequential as only just scraping a win against Sydney at the first of our promotion season. The result simply doesn't matter.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ajax cleaned the floor with us.... :shock:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Whilst Ajax may be a formidable force in Holland, the Eredivisie League is poor, and does not even feature in the top 10 soccer leagues in the World, a list that has the US Major League in it!
1. Ajax would win the MLS with their eyes shut, not wearing boots and being drunk

2. If the MLS is in the top 10 leagues in the world and the Eredivisie is not, the ranker has done their ranking with their eyes shut and being drunk, they could still be wearing boots though.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Niall Huggins on his way to Ewood Park on a permanent deal...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Update on Adolfo Gaich

The Argentine, however, will not join Bielsa’s side as he ‘prefers a new experience’ in Italy.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:44 am 1. Ajax would win the MLS with their eyes shut, not wearing boots and being drunk

2. If the MLS is in the top 10 leagues in the world and the Eredivisie is not, the ranker has done their ranking with their eyes shut and being drunk, they could still be wearing boots though.
:tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:52 am
Read that.

I am still trying to understand what they will be used for.

(Apart from getting us to cough up more of our hard earnned coin)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa