The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 13th August) - Speculation over financial issues at Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 13th August) - Speculation over financial issues at Elland Road

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 am When JKA arrived everybody moaned that Bielsa would not play him. When he finally appeared for the U23's the reason became apparent... his arse was too big.
As was his head
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 13th August) - Speculation over financial issues at Elland Road

Post by The Subhuman »

To be fair to Orta 90% of his bad signing came when Rads took over and we had about 3 first team players... So it was done in a massive rush just to get a team out and rebuild the U23's ... It actually worked to some extent as 3 seasons later we were back in the prem...

No idea what happed regarding JKA, he would have been on Bielsa's list and the fans were panicking after we lost N'Ketiah. I do recall a lot of positive noises here as a player able to make us better... Until you see a player play for Leeds we can have almost no idea of how good he's gonna be irrespective of stats for other clubs in different circumstances..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:24 am Huddersfield do have the option to extend his contract by a further 12 months due to a clause in his contract!
Yes Ell, but I’m pretty sure that the contract extension would have be mutually agreed and from what we understand it would seem that O’Brien would not want an extension.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

What we dont know is how will the players react to playing in front of a full Elland Road we know the advantage they bring but also how they can soon get on a players back.The one that comes to mind is Patrick Bamford he was often the subject of calls when he missed chances we as last season with no fans he had his best season ever.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I do think the club arent as wealthy as you would expect a club with 2 billionaire families on the board. I think they could do much much more but the 49ers definitely wont.

I understand those who say "well we spent a lot last summer so we dont have to spend to much this summer" but that is a risk at the top level and lest we forget we are still bottom 5 of the squad cost table and in Premier league terms havent spent much at all.

Furthermore we only need to look at Wolves for what happens when you dont recruit enough and refresh the squad.

And finally recruitment impacts players, people like Raph want to see ambition and teammates who are their equal.
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:24 am Yes Ell, but I’m pretty sure that the contract extension would have be mutually agreed and from what we understand it would seem that O’Brien would not want an extension.
Certainly not a Huddersfield extension!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

O'Brien for me highlights our money issues.

Orta compiles a list of 5 for transfers based on playing profile and cost.

So i strongly doubt Gallagher and O'brien were the best profiles we could find but they were a decent fit at a cheap price imo.

JKA was a farce and total negligence on the clubs part, privately Radz must have been furious with Orta.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The standing still argument to me is something that is different with Leeds as we have seen the continual improvement of players under Bielsa. That for me is the big difference in that standing still, with Bielsa in charge, is very likely still seeing improvement (barring all the burnout sh*t which will seemingly never be laid to rest despite this being the 3rd season under Bielsa and in seasons 2 and 3 we ended the seasons in great form). At other teams players usually reach their full ability due to age and experience and so probably reach a peak in early to mid 20s and then don't get better, with Bielsa age appears no barrier with even Hernandez improving under Bielsa. We've not weakened the team in any way (sorry Cjay but Alioski while he will be missed isn't a great loss despite him being amongst the players that were still continuing to improve) and so the real reasons to be positive are in the hope that we get less injuries than last year and we get to see Rodrigo, Koch and Llorente starting, or being available, most matches.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:24 am Yes Ell, but I’m pretty sure that the contract extension would have be mutually agreed and from what we understand it would seem that O’Brien would not want an extension.
I doubt it would need to be mutually agreed as in that case there would absolutely be no point in it being there. Likely the contract extension can be triggered at any point by Huddersfield with the wages etc already agreed in advance (i.e. he might get aa % wage increase when they extend it)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Understand the improvement of Bielsa argument Weasel and using Hernandez as an example of age being no barrier.

But Hernandez was always very gifted, injuries cost him a lot but talent was never in doubt.

The style imo really helps hide our individual deficiencies but i doubt many of our Championship team have any more talent to unlock.

Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Cooper, Bamford.

I dont think Bielsa can improve them anymore and if anything regression is possible with fans back and pressure on more.

Players have natural limits in talent and fitness, i very much doubt Bielsa can get more out of the Championship stalwarts who are all largely pushing 30 or past it. They have done great jobs but most are probably playing in a system that helps them play above their natural limits.

Eventually that will show imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:15 pm I doubt it would need to be mutually agreed as in that case there would absolutely be no point in it being there. Likely the contract extension can be triggered at any point by Huddersfield with the wages etc already agreed in advance (i.e. he might get aa % wage increase when they extend it)
The report I read from a month ago did state that Huddersfield had a clause in his contract that they could trigger to extend his contract by a further 12 months.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Lol. I do love the angst and hand-wringing ramping up. You can really tell the season is just around the corner. What a great feeling!

Personally, I'm not the least bit stressed about the window. It's clear the only must-have was Junior and it's done. The rest of the lineup is set. Anyone we sign now isn't going to see meaningful minutes before Christmas anyway. O'Brien, while interesting, isn't going to make or break this squad. He's a championship player with potential. I think, as has been said many times already by many others, that we'll see Rodrigo, Koch, and Llorente make a bigger impact this year than last now that they are fully integrated and that (along with Junior) is where the potential improvement is going to come from in terms of talent. The experience the squad enjoyed last season should also contribute to improvement in results as the players now have the measure of the league and aren't stepping into the unknown every match.

I like our side and our chances. The success of the season will depend largely on injuries. If Bamford, Raph, or KP goes down for any length of time we will suffer but we aren't signing anyone who can swap in for those three so why worry? Sit back and enjoy the ride. I suspect we are going to continue to surprise the pundits and the league. My hopes and expectations are very high provided we can stay healthy.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:50 pm Understand the improvement of Bielsa argument Weasel and using Hernandez as an example of age being no barrier.

But Hernandez was always very gifted, injuries cost him a lot but talent was never in doubt.

The style imo really helps hide our individual deficiencies but i doubt many of our Championship team have any more talent to unlock.

Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Cooper, Bamford.

I dont think Bielsa can improve them anymore and if anything regression is possible with fans back and pressure on more.

Players have natural limits in talent and fitness, i very much doubt Bielsa can get more out of the Championship stalwarts who are all largely pushing 30 or past it. They have done great jobs but most are probably playing in a system that helps them play above their natural limits.

Eventually that will show imo.
I think you're right that our players have individual deficiencies and the system helps them but equally the players are getting to know the system more, getting better at doing stuff on auto pilot and it is that which sees the team improving.

Take Bamford as an example and we all (well maybe 1 didn't) applauded his defensive work in our championship winning season but quite rightly knocked his goalscoring. Now for me a big part of his lack of end product was down to tiredness when he got the chances or that he'd be getting there slightly too late. Improved fitness, improved knowledge of the system and where he needed to be saw his goalscoring improve without a drop-off in his defensive work. Can that be improved more? Yes, he has already spoken about them coaching him into making better runs etc.

Take Dallas and yes he has limitations in a midfield role. He isn't going to play Hernandez type through balls or dribble past 2 or 3 players but what he has shown is a great ability to get goals. Take Frank Lampard as an example of a midfielder and by and large if he didn't score you wouldn't have known he was on the pitch. Dallas scores goals and works his socks off. Can Dallas get more goals from the midfield role and I think he can.

Ayling - 3 years ago was great at bombing up and down the wing. A little suspect defensively and his crossing and shooting were abysmal. His crossing has improved, he has weighed in with a couple of goals and generally his defending is good too. We also saw with Alioski his positioning and defensive work improved.

So the players can continue to improve. Their bodies are used to the intensity they play at. Dallas has gone from having lots of injuries to playing every (or near) game last season. Bamford has gone from his injury plagued first season under Bielsa to playing nearly every match for the last 2 years. Okay Klich was running on empty after something like 2 1/2 years without a rest but the players have shown that their bodies can get used to the intensity and can then go even further.

I would take this squad and this system over better individual players in a less cohesive system.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:35 pm I would take this squad and this system over better individual players in a less cohesive system.
This is why I think Villa will only just scrape top ten at best despite the undisputed quality they've brought into their squad to replace Grealish (a net gain overall imo).
w.c..dukenfield
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: none

promotion and relegation LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 13th August) - Speculation over financial issues at Elland Road

Post by w.c..dukenfield »

Brentfords appearance today in the top division of English football brings back memories. They were relegated in 1946/47 together with Leeds United. Leeds had the worst away record that still stands they took one point from 21 matches
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: promotion and relegation LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 13th August) - Speculation over financial issues at Elland

Post by Carrick Dave »

w.c..dukenfield wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 pm Brentfords appearance today in the top division of English football brings back memories. They were relegated in 1946/47 together with Leeds United. Leeds had the worst away record that still stands they took one point from 21 matches
I’m thinking you were in your teens then Duke? Did you ever consider not following Leeds with a record like that?
w.c..dukenfield
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: none

Re: promotion and relegation LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 13th August) - Speculation over financial issues at Elland

Post by w.c..dukenfield »

Carrick Dave wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm I’m thinking you were in your teens then Duke? Did you ever consider not following Leeds with a record like that?
Morning all. I was 14 in 1946 my only memory of that time was finishing the season with 18 points. No my team was Leeds and it was very depressing but they have given me a lot of pleasure since.I look forward to a good display from them today.