The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd August) Honours even at Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd August) Honours even at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 23rd August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Honours even at Elland Road

Leeds came from behind twice to grab a share of the spoils, at a packed out Elland Road on Saturday afternoon; against an inform Everton side. The Toffee's had ripped apart Southampton the previous week but were up against a Bielsa side with a lot more fight and guile than they had shown at Old Trafford.

Rafael Benítez's men took the lead on the half hour mark when Liam Cooper was penalised for trying to get into Dominic Calvert-Lewin's shirt with him in it. Once reviewed on VAR, the man in black had little choice but to point at the spot, and Calvert-Lewin duly obliged!

Leeds were level before half time. Bamford unselfishly squared the ball to Mateusz Klich who lifted it over the despairing dive of England shot stopper Jordan Pickford.

Five minutes into the second half, Everton retook the lead. Damarai Gray fired a shot into the corner of Meslier's net from an acute angle, and through the legs of Stuart Dallas. Cheered on by 38,000, Leeds were not to be denied. Phillips in swinging cross fell nicely for Cooper in the Everton penalty area. His pass back found Raphinha in space. The Brazilian's first time strike curled majestically into the corner of net to grab Leeds first point of the season!

Although Everton carved out more opportunities, Leeds will reflect back on the game that they should have won! They had 70 percent possession, three times as many passes as the Toffee's as well as superior passing.

Bielsa's post match interview

O'Brien deal unlikely to happen

Former Leeds favourite, now Soccer pundit David Norris believes the proposed transfer of Huddersfield Towns ace Lewis O'Brien has gone on too long, and is set for failure. Following their interest, the Terriers slapped a 10m price tag on their star asset. Leeds came back with several offers, but there still seems to be a way to go before the deal is concluded. Speaking in his pre match presser, Bielsa disclosed that it was unlikely that Leeds would be adding to the squad.

Norris was quoted as saying...

I think once it goes too far, there’s obviously an issue, so I can’t see that one happening now. I can’t see them paying £8m-£10m. Some teams attract players for a long period of time and eventually get a deal done, but this one seems like it’s not going to happen, it’s gone on too long.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 23rd August) Honours even at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

What a strike by Bogusz
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Former Leeds favourite, now Soccer pundit David Norris
Who?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:55 am What a strike by Bogusz
Great strike.
I'm still hoping he's a success for us.
Definitely a good player in there.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

A point was a fair result on Saturday, we didn't test Pickford anywhere near enough despite all our possession. Meslier was certainly the busier keeper and had that near post toe poke from DCL gone in at 1-2 it would have been game over.
So we're off the mark, on to Burnley and hopefully 3 points.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:07 amWho?
Was just thinking the same, love to know whose favourite he was.

Just reading Connor Gallagher comments on why he chose palace:

“There has been a lot of tactical sessions – team-wise. I have not been here too long, but I have got the whole season to learn from him.”
“Obviously he was a top player back in the day and he is a top manager as well, so I am very excited to work with him this season.”

No doubting viera was a top player, couldn’t say with his career so far he is anywhere near being considered a top manager. Basically knew he would walk in to the first team from day one and didn’t fancy the effort required at Leeds.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:30 am Was just thinking the same, love to know whose favourite he was.

Just reading Connor Gallagher comments on why he chose palace:

“There has been a lot of tactical sessions – team-wise. I have not been here too long, but I have got the whole season to learn from him.”
“Obviously he was a top player back in the day and he is a top manager as well, so I am very excited to work with him this season.”

No doubting viera was a top player, couldn’t say with his career so far he is anywhere near being considered a top manager. Basically knew he would walk in to the first team from day one and didn’t fancy the effort required at Leeds.
Pirlo and Arteta were excellent players in their day. Top managers though, despite managing at top sides? Too much credence is given to a player's playing career when they're talked about as managers, it's chalk and cheese.

Happy with a point all in all, we got away with a bit of poor finishing on Everton's part and considering how we conceded the first I don't think it was an unfair result.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:29 am A point was a fair result on Saturday, we didn't test Pickford anywhere near enough despite all our possession. Meslier was certainly the busier keeper and had that near post toe poke from DCL gone in at 1-2 it would have been game over.
Yes Meslier saved our defenders blushes Chilli :tup:

Everton were having pot shots at our goal, they could have scored four or five, our back four were average/poor.

We did well to earn a point tbh.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 am Pirlo and Arteta were excellent players in their day. Top managers though, despite managing at top sides? Too much credence is given to a player's playing career when they're talked about as managers, it's chalk and cheese.

Happy with a point all in all, we got away with a bit of poor finishing on Everton's part and considering how we conceded the first I don't think it was an unfair result.
Bobby was a more accomplished footballer than his brother Jack.

Jack became a successful manager, Bobby struggled in his short managerial career!

Allan Clarke, Billy Bremner & Eddie Gray all struggled in football management.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:29 am A point was a fair result on Saturday, we didn't test Pickford anywhere near enough despite all our possession. Meslier was certainly the busier keeper and had that near post toe poke from DCL gone in at 1-2 it would have been game over.
The movement of the players, passing accuracy and fitness (all the things that should have been corrected in pre season) were so much better!

We certainly are light in midfield. Its great that Raphinha is coming more infield! He needs to.

He is the spark in our engine to get us going!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Casilllllaaa......... :shock:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:05 am The movement of the players, passing accuracy and fitness (all the things that should have been corrected in pre season) were so much better!

We certainly are light in midfield. Its great that Raphinha is coming more infield! He needs to.

He is the spark in our engine to get us going!!!
What a player he is.
I still can't believe Rennes let him go for 17 million.
Victor Orta must have pissed his Y fronts when they accepted our offer.
Definitely time to try him as a 10 and give Summerville a go on the right.
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:09 am What a player he is.
I still can't believe Rennes let him go for 17 million.
Victor Orta must have pissed his Y fronts when they accepted our offer.
Definitely time to try him as a 10 and give Summerville a go on the right.
Not a bad shout at all. Bamford had fck all to latch onto and outside of Raph we had almost no shots on the edge of the box.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Because Bielsa has a way to play, he has drummed it into the players to try walk the ball in the net, not gonna happen, a poormans man city if you like, whats wrong with shooting on sight a little more often !!
Midfield and defence need tightening, getting Llorente & Koch fit are paramount, I've given up on a decent midfielder, if Bielsa says we dont need one he must be right, 100,000 leeds fans believing his every word .
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 am Because Bielsa has a way to play, he has drummed it into the players to try walk the ball in the net, not gonna happen, a poormans man city if you like, whats wrong with shooting on sight a little more often !!
Midfield and defence need tightening, getting Llorente & Koch fit are paramount, I've given up on a decent midfielder, if Bielsa says we dont need one he must be right, 100,000 leeds fans believing his every word .
Well he is the man who led the club from mid-table Championship to mid-table Premiership...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:02 am Well he is the man who led the club from mid-table Championship to mid-table Premiership...
20 years a mid Championship team with, before he arrived, probably zero chance of going up in the next ten
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:26 am 20 years a mid Championship team with, before he arrived, probably zero chance of going up in the next ten
Probably more frustration on my part, not the only one thinking like that though, I'm more than grateful for what he's achieved thus far, I've seen the United greats and flops over t' years, and I'm honestly happy as for what the fella has/is doing.
But....his arrogance is staggering, annoys me no end, I said he should have been sacked for allowing villa to score 2 seasons ago, no-one , absolutely no-one is bigger than the club, but this man thinks he can do what he wants, its working at the moment, but, when it goes tits up, if we start struggling it wont take long for fans to turn, we've seen it before and we'll see it again.
To re-cap; I appreciate everything we've achieved so far under him, but stagnating with a threadbare squad isnt what I want for my team, sure it takes time and I would'nt want us to re-visit the ridsdale era either, but, every man and his dog knows we are crying out for a creative midfielder for one, we have players whom MB puts his trust in, yet we know they wont cut it, but his "my way or no way" attitude will cost him/us in the end.
I'll be Leeds forever, long after the the dust has settled in argentina.
United we stand.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 am Because Bielsa has a way to play, he has drummed it into the players to try walk the ball in the net, not gonna happen, a poormans man city if you like, whats wrong with shooting on sight a little more often !!
We had 17 shots on Saturday a few from long range, wouldn’t say they are shot shy, also scored the most goals from outside the area last year and already got one this season. it makes sense though that the closer you are to goal the easier it gets to hit the target.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:42 am Probably more frustration on my part, not the only one thinking like that though, I'm more than grateful for what he's achieved thus far, I've seen the United greats and flops over t' years, and I'm honestly happy as for what the fella has/is doing.
But....his arrogance is staggering, annoys me no end, I said he should have been sacked for allowing villa to score 2 seasons ago, no-one , absolutely no-one is bigger than the club, but this man thinks he can do what he wants, its working at the moment, but, when it goes tits up, if we start struggling it wont take long for fans to turn, we've seen it before and we'll see it again.
To re-cap; I appreciate everything we've achieved so far under him, but stagnating with a threadbare squad isnt what I want for my team, sure it takes time and I would'nt want us to re-visit the ridsdale era either, but, every man and his dog knows we are crying out for a creative midfielder for one, we have players whom MB puts his trust in, yet we know they wont cut it, but his "my way or no way" attitude will cost him/us in the end.
I'll be Leeds forever, long after the the dust has settled in argentina.
United we stand.
Elements of MB's management frustrate us all at times i am sure.

Many didnt like the Villa thing.

Many were disappointed with the way Pablo and PJ were treated.

Many would like more squad depth.

Many would like him to force the club to invest more this summer.

Many would like a bit more rotation.

Many would like to see more of the u23s and lesa of his old favourites.

But ultimately MB has over achieved every season with what he has.

We didnt have a top 3 squad 1st season or a 1st placed squad 2nd or a 9th placed squad 3rd. Ultimately its unlikely that will continue as in football quality evens itself out and teams generally end up where their squad should be which this season would probably see us much nearer the bottom 3 than the top 3.

But MB has worked miracles for us and id much rather he was here than wasnt because i very much doubt we would have been promoted without him and we definitely wouldn't have finished 9th last season, 19th maybe.

This summer isnt MB 's fault, no matter what he says publicly or what spin Kinnear or that American dude try to put on it this summer is a failure as it stands.

MB wanted a left back, a winger and a central midfielder, how do we know?

Because multiple sources have confirmed we have asked about central midfielders and wingers this summer and if MB was truly happy with his squad then this wouldn't have happened, simple fact.

Its quite clear just from what MB said that the club wont pay the asking prices, are they right? Hard to say as on the one hand i feel £8mil is at least twice what O'Brien is worth however was Rodrigo worth £30mil? Was De Paul not more of a bargain at the same price?

Is Matheus Cunha not a bargain at £25mil?

Was over £20Mil each for JKA and Costa good value?

I think the club have a very strange relationship with value for money tbh.

Some of its great (Raph and O'brien) some of its utterly bizarre (Cunha, De Paul, Costa, JKA).

Whilst i understand the frustration imo MB still has far more credit in the bank atm.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:26 am 20 years a mid Championship team with, before he arrived, probably zero chance of going up in the next ten
14 seasons.

And yes I couldn't see us reaching the PL in my lifetime until the arrival of Marcelo :tup: