The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd September) - Bielsa blocked move for Noa Lang

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd September) - Bielsa blocked move for Noa Lang

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 3rd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa blocked move for Noa Lang

Phil Hay has revealed that Marcelo Bielsa scuppered the Noa Lang deal earlier this Summer due to concerns he had about the Dutchman's defensive responsibilities; much to the dismay of Leeds Director of Football Victor Orta. Speculation was rife throughout the Summer that the 22 year old was headed for Elland Road in a £25 million swoop, but as time drew on, and fans became increasingly impatient, the transaction never materialised! According to Hay...

Several of Bielsa’s expensive deals at Elland Road have involved wingers: £25 million on James, £17 million on Raphinha, £15 million on Helder Costa, £11 million on Jack Harrison. In their own way, their jobs are as strictly defined as those of his full-backs, constantly required to dovetail with the team-mate playing behind them on that flank, react rapidly to transitional opportunities, attack space in front of them and track back diligently.

Concerns about defensive capabilities were understood to be behind Bielsa’s decision not to pursue Club Bruges’s Noa Lang last month. James (finally) arrives at Leeds knowing he will be asked to graft at both ends of the field".

Phillips delights fans with impressive performance

Kalvin Philips once again proved his critics wrong with Sterling performance, including man of the match from BBC Sport as the three Lions trounced Hungary 4-0 in Budapest! Along with his England player of the year award he received earlier in the week, the 25 year old continues to impress at the highest level.

Kalvin Phillips vs. Hungary:
85% pass acc.
72 touches 53/62 successful
Passes 41 opp.
Half touches 32 opp.
Half passes 6
Ball recoveries 5
Duels won 4/4
Tackles won 1/1 successful take-on
1 interception
1 clean sheet

That should add another £10 million to his price tag! Interestingly, in an article that was printed earlier in the week, the Leeds squad was valued at £225 million, making the Whites the 12th most expensive squad in the Premiership. Perhaps I'm over valuing Philips and Raphinha as their dual worth isn't that far away from the total amount!

What is our true worth

Below is a list of registered players. What values would you put on their heads? Will their total worth be higher or lower than the reported £225 m.

1 – Illan Meslier
2- Luke Ayling
3 – Junior Firpo
4 – Adam Forshaw
5 – Robin Koch
6 – Liam Cooper
9 – Patrick Bamford
10 – Raphinha
11 – Tyler Roberts
13 – Kristoffer Klaesson
14 – Diego Llorente
15 – Stuart Dallas
19 – Rodrigo
20 – Dan James
21 – Pascal Struijk
22 – Jack Harrison
23 – Kalvin Phillips
30 - Joe Gelhardt
35 - Charlie Cresswell
37 - Cody Drameh
38 - Crysencio Summerville
42 - Sam Greenwood
43 - Matt Klich
45 - Liam McCarron
46 - Jamie Shackleton

How Orta first identified James three years ago

Victor Orta has shared with 'Leeds Live' the gruelling process he went through in identifying Leeds new boy Daniel James as a top target three years ago. At the time, he was only 20, and had just broken through into the senior ranks at the Liberty Stadium playing only a handful of games. Even then, he excited the Leeds Director of Football, and Bielsa agreed. Orta told Sky Sports...

We detected first from the human eye, about the UK recruitment about Daniel James, that he would fit with our style - and Marcelo Bielsa totally agreed." "It's true that, at that moment, he had only played 14 games in the Championship and we were trying to find more accuracy. I asked for a report from a company in football analytics and in this moment Daniel James had zero goals and one or two assists."

They made a big report about expected goals and expected assists and they predicted he would finish the season with six or seven goals and eight assists, and it was a step that (meant) I felt more comfortable making that decision.

First was the scout - the eye - thinking this player can fit for us. But this report gave me more accuracy to propose to the board that this player can be a fit for January. Then in the end what happened was (the deal) not finished and Daniel James didn't play for Leeds United. But I always have this report as an example of a good use of data.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd September) Bielsa blocked Lang deal

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

Glad to see KP doing well. Dont bring him back broken please!

Lang. Imagine the reaction if Orta purchased Lang and Bielsa didnt want him!
Disunity breeds distrust.

James. He ended up with 4 goals and 7 assists that year. If he doubles that every year here he will be a bargain.

Club value, from my back of s fag packet calcs Id say 225 is close.

Alfie McCalmont came on in N.Irelands win last night.
Another DFM in the making.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cumbriarents
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd September) - Bielsa blocked move for Noa Lang

Post by Cumbriarents »

If Orta had of got Lang in I'm sure Bielsa would have put his Man scum tracksuit on at training
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd September) - Bielsa blocked move for Noa Lang

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Re Philips, Im delighted he's doing so well internationally but fed up if he's played in every minute of every game and returns to Leeds below par as in the Euros. My main interest is in now hell perform against Liverpool and in subsequent games. Few really give a damn about internationals anyway unless their club have players involved
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1 – Illan Meslier - 25
2- Luke Ayling - 5
3 – Junior Firpo - 10
4 – Adam Forshaw - 1
5 – Robin Koch - 12
6 – Liam Cooper - 1
9 – Patrick Bamford - 30
10 – Raphinha - 35
11 – Tyler Roberts - 7.5
13 – Kristoffer Klaesson - 2
14 – Diego Llorente - 15
15 – Stuart Dallas - 5
19 – Rodrigo - 15
20 – Dan James - 25
21 – Pascal Struijk - 10
22 – Jack Harrison - 20
23 – Kalvin Phillips - 65
30 - Joe Gelhardt - 4..5
35 - Charlie Cresswell 3
37 - Cody Drameh 4
38 - Crysencio Summerville 5.5
42 - Sam Greenwood - 7..5
43 - Matt Klich - 2.5
45 - Liam McCarron - 3
46 - Jamie Shackleton - 5
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Hello there my lovelies Janice Wigglebottom here. I am the tea lady that works in the board room at Leeds United. Not one to gossip myself, never went in for that tittle tattle, but well the things you hear in that room would put a perm in your hair, and curling pins in your toes.

Remember that incident with kiko, right old kerfuffle, lots of talk about bad for the image of the club, couldn't see it meself always been a proper gent to me, loved his bournville biscuit with his tea. Well Marcelo, forward thinking man that he is saw that are similar problem might arise with Noa Lang, but I was thinking to my self like, with a name like Noa there should be no problem... didn't make sense to me really. They agreed to be diplomatic and say that they were concerned about his defensive capabilities and get around the problem that way.

Daniel James lovely lad, gave him some of my earl Gray the first time he came for his medical two and a half years ago. his dad is a big Leeds fan.

Remember when Marcelo did his spygate PowerPoint presentation there was a folder on the computer's desktop that was entitled Dan James, well to my everlasting shame I had a peek inside that folder, and I don't know what came over me but I emailed it to myself, and somehow unbeknownst to me that file fell into the hands of Ole, and the rest is history.

I have rued the day that I let it happen, and to make amends I sort of borrowed Marcelo's computer and sent emails to Ole suggesting that we would like to buy Dan James. Things just got out of hand and then there was no turning back between the two parties, so the deal had to be done... I knocked it down from 50 million to 25 million.

After all that Marcelo was quite happy about it and he bought me a car.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Just 2.5 for Klich Faaip? I still rate him as one of our best.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Lang.

No point buying players MB doesnt feel fit into his side tactically because he will barely use them (Nketiah). James was the one MB wanted so now the pressure is on the boss to get this one to perform.

1 – Illan Meslier- £40mil (if Ramsdale is worth £30mil).
2- Luke Ayling- £5mil
3 – Junior Firpo- £10-15mil
4 – Adam Forshaw- £0 (hasnt played for 2 years).
5 – Robin Koch-£15mil
6 – Liam Cooper- £3.50.
9 – Patrick Bamford -£50mil ( English player tax).
10 – Raphinha- £80mil
11 – Tyler Roberts - £3.70
13 – Kristoffer Klaesson - £1mil.
14 – Diego Llorente - £25mil
15 – Stuart Dallas - £10mil
19 – Rodrigo - £15mil
20 – Dan James £15mil
21 – Pascal Struijk £20mil
22 – Jack Harrison £25mil
23 – Kalvin Phillips £60mil
30 - Joe Gelhardt (£1mil)
35 - Charlie Cresswell £500k
37 - Cody Drameh £500k
38 - Crysencio Summerville £3mil
42 - Sam Greenwood £500k
43 - Matt Klich £3mil)
45 - Liam McCarron £500k
46 - Jamie Shackleton £5mil

I make that about £385mil.

Players like KP, Paddy benefit from being England internationals and the price increase that brings.

Meslier benefits from transfers like Ramsdale.

Raph benefits from transfers like Grealish and the inflated domestic market.

On the other hand Llorente for example loses a bit for his fitness issues.

Ayling , Dallas and Klich because of age and the fact they are 30s with only 1 year of Prem football.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:21 am Just 2.5 for Klich Faaip? I still rate him as one of our best.
So do I but he's past 30 ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Where's the player tax on Kalvin CJay?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:00 am So do I but he's past 30 ...
Fair point.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:21 am Re Philips, Im delighted he's doing so well internationally but fed up if he's played in every minute of every game and returns to Leeds below par as in the Euros. My main interest is in now hell perform against Liverpool and in subsequent games. Few really give a damn about internationals anyway unless their club have players involved
I have to agree with this. I love England to win, but not at the cost of Leeds United. Injuries, tiredness etc. Hopefully, Gareth will give Kalvin a rest now on Sunday...and it will be interesting to see how England fair without him.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:34 am I have to agree with this. I love England to win, but not at the cost of Leeds United. Injuries, tiredness etc. Hopefully, Gareth will give Kalvin a rest now on Sunday...and it will be interesting to see how England fair without him.
Henderson and Bellingham for Kalvin and Rice I reckon.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I think the game against Andorra is a great opportunity for Southgate to give a lot of the fringe players a game, I hope to see a completely different line up to that which played against Hungary with Kalvin given a rest and Bamford given his 1st cap.

No doubt Kalvin will be back in the team next week though when we play Poland, I just hope that he gets through uninsured.

Well done Faaip for taking the trouble to value every member of the squad - more than I could be bothered to do tbh but I must say that I don’t agree with a lot of them. In particular I think you are over egging the value of a lot of the under 23s. £7.5m for Greenwood for example - not on your nelly!
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

That is uninjured not uninsured (damn this predictive text)
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I actually bothered to watch a England Qualifier, and i am glad i did i thought England were (in Mr Burns Fashion) exxxxcellent. Are you watching Marcelo :) I honestly love the way Southgate sets them up with Kalvin & Rice protecting the back 4, Kalvin getting forward a little more than Rice. It just allows the FB to get forward and join in the fun down the flanks with Kalvin & Rice always ready to drop in when needed. It would work a treat for us that imo. Hungary were unbeaten at home in so many games but we made them look second rate.

On to Poland after the easy Andorra (who) game.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Some interesting attempts to value the squad. CJAY was very harsh at valuing Cooper and Roberts at less than 4 quid 😏

I suspect they used CM valuations for the published amount in the article.

Value is in the eye of the beholder and if a club wants they will inevitably pay a premium. We generally do.

Lang turned down by Bielsa. Will be interesting to see how Lang performs in Europe with Brugge.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Good to see Kalvin performing well at international level.
But it's a double-edged sword. The more plaudits he gets, the greater the chance of him moving on to one of the "super league" clubs.
At least we will make a good profit on him, if that happens.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Value is in the eye of the beholder and if a club wants they will inevitably pay a premium. We generally do.

Mr Swan always says - something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, whether it be a house, boat, car, footballer etc
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Nobodys going anywhere yet , relax, stop sounding like you've insider information.
If players go, so be it, others will come and replace them, some will realise the grass aint greener on t'other side.
IF, anyone goes, my only hope is that the club whack a massive fee on them, as I said before, like Levy at spurs, if a team wants them bad enough they'll pay what we ask, also if a player, any player, regardless of who he is, Phillips, Raphina, Bamford etc pops a transfer request in, drop them immediately, no-one, repeat no-one including Bielsa is bigger than LUFC.
In t' meantime, carry on.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"