The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd September) Leeds set to take part in safe standing trial this season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Is safe standing a good idea?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:51 am

Yes, its a good idea, just not my cup of tea
44%
Yes, I want to stand
33%
I'd prefer to sit down, unless Leeds score of course!
22%
Standing should continue to be banned
No votes

Total votes: 9

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd September) Leeds set to take part in safe standing trial this season

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Thursday 23rd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds set to take part in safe standing trial this season

Leeds are set to take part in a Government backed scheme to reintroduce safe standing at football matches. The Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) has invited clubs in the top two divisions to apply to become part of the trial, which will run to the end of the season. If successful, legislation which have been in place for over 30 years, in the wake of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster could be set to change.

Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said:
"We have been clear that we will work with fans and clubs towards introducing safe standing at football grounds providing there was evidence that installing seating with barriers would have a positive impact on crowd safety.

"With independent research now complete, and capacity crowds back at grounds across the country, now is the right time to make progress. I look forward to hearing from clubs who wish to be part of our early adopters programme during the second half of this season."
It is not known which part of Elland Road would take part in the trial, which is set start on January 1st 2022.
Is safe standing a good idea? Do you get annoyed with the 6ft 6' guy in front of you always obscuring your view at the crucial moment, or do you prefer to stand?

Gunners up next

Leeds face another trip to the Capital in the last 16 of the league Cup after edging past Fulham on Tuesday night! The quiet tranquil surroundings on the edge of the River Thames will be replaced by a much more raucous and intimidating atmosphere of the Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal!

A win over Mikel Arteta's team would propel the Whites into the Quarter-Finals, and be a welcome break from their league plight! The only other fourth round tie of any note see's Manchester City travel to the London Stadium (formerly the Olympic Stadium used in 2012), home of West Ham. They beat Manchester Utd 1-0 last night at Old Trafford. Let's hope they have worn themselves out for Saturday's trip to Elland Road.

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd September) Leeds set to take part in safe standing trial this season

Post by 1964white »

Glad Leeds are joining the government scheme as the majority of fans stand in the kop & the south stand.

Definitely prefer to stand, creates a much better atmosphere.

I'll feel safer with the installation of barriers.

If you don't like standing, purchase your tickets in the East & West Stands.
1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 23rd September) Leeds set to take part in safe standing trial this season

Post by 1964white »

Should we beat the gooners, we'll be in the quarter-finals not the semi-finals Matt.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The quiet tranquil surroundings on the edge of the River Thames will be replaced by a much more raucous and intimidating atmosphere of the Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal!

You've really got to laugh at that statement.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:57 am The quiet tranquil surroundings on the edge of the River Thames will be replaced by a much more raucous and intimidating atmosphere of the Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal!

You've really got to laugh at that statement.
prose need not always have to read like a railway timetable there is a room for some poetic license
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Safe standing...hmmm....reminds me of the time I was in the Gelderd back in the 80's and one guy decides it's too far to the toilet so he lobs it out right there , talk about parting of the red sea, never seen people move so fast.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:57 am Safe standing...hmmm....reminds me of the time I was in the Gelderd back in the 80's and one guy decides it's too far to the toilet so he lobs it out right there , talk about parting of the red sea, never seen people move so fast. Image

I've witness that scenario too, BG.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Bet you didn't tell him to 'spray it about a bit more' though

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I used to love going to the match and standing in the cop in the days of yore. Being on the small side I often couldn’t see much of the game but that didn’t matter, singing at the top of your voice, being squashed, so you could barely breath, against the individual barriers set at staggered positions at various levels, when the lads at the back pushed the crowd forward, getting thrown around (and throwing yourself around with abandon) in celebration when we scored, losing your hat, scarf even shoes in the general melee was all part and parcel and dare I say enjoyment of the match experience in those days. In these times of zero jeopardy I can see that it might be considered as too dangerous but it was great fun anyway.

Now that barriers, it seems, are going to be placed complete at every level it should obviously be a lot safer but will it be as much fun? - I doubt it!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am I've witness that scenario too, BG.
Me too, at St James Park
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

No where near the same amount of fun. Watching them in the seats now makes it all seem so boring but maybe that's because I don't get that excited by it all nowadays anyway.

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Chilli D wrote: Me too, at St James Park
If that was last Friday it might've been 64....Image

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am If that was last Friday it might've been 64....Image

😂😂😂
No it was 1975 and I was 10!
I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Currie14 »

Remember the old Lowfields where you could unintentionally visit all four corners of the stand just being carried along in the general melee. Took an Aussie relative one time and we were together for about the first minute but after that I never saw him again until the end. 😂
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Chilli D wrote: ImageImageImage
No it was 1975 and I was 10!
I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Yeah I know..at that age you're not fully developed Image

eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 am Glad Leeds are joining the government scheme as the majority of fans stand in the kop & the south stand.

Definitely prefer to stand, creates a much better atmosphere.

I'll feel safer with the installation of barriers.

If you don't like standing, purchase your tickets in the East & West Stands.
What i am wondering is if some season ticket holder has purchased a kop ticket and at the moment is sitting down like a few others around him what happens then.Also about buying tickets in the other stands for season ticket holders would be a no go.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am I've witness that scenario too, BG.
:chair:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:35 am What i am wondering is if some season ticket holder has purchased a kop ticket and at the moment is sitting down like a few others around him what happens then.Also about buying tickets in the other stands for season ticket holders would be a no go.
Could be a problem on both counts :(
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:53 am Should we beat the gooners, we'll be in the quarter-finals not the semi-finals Matt.
I thought the semis had come around a bit quick :lol:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:07 am I thought the semis had come around a bit quick :lol:
A semi is very rare these days.....😁