The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th September) Spirited Leeds display ends in defeat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th September) Spirited Leeds display ends in defeat

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 27th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Spirited display ends in defeat

Leeds produced their best display of the season, reminiscent of scenes of six months ago; unfortunately, it was not enough, and their brave effort ended in the worse possible way. For a side depleted with injury, the hosts were well marshalled. Their free flowing football, quick counters and ability to close the visitors down as soon as they were on the ball showed the capacity Elland Road crowd that hopefully their slump has finally come to an end.

Leeds took the lead on 20 minutes. Rodrigo's cut back from deep on the right wing found Dallas. The Northern Ireland International unselfishly tee'd up Raphinha on the edge of the 'D'. His first time effort, drilled low and hard, beat Fabianski at his par post. It was no more than Leeds deserved. Moments earlier, an almost identical attack involving Rodrigo and Firpo set Dallas up on the edge of the area, but his spectacular effort was matched by a fingertip save.

It wasn't all one way traffic, and Leeds rode their luck, but Meslier was a match to anything the Hammers could muster, until two thirds of the way through the match. David Moyes' men drew level on 67 minutes when Jarrod Bowen's speculative effort took the cruellest of double deflections and nestled in the back of the net. On the balance of play, a draw would have been a fair result, but when you're languishing near the foot of the table fairness goes out the window.

Michail Antonio silenced the Elland Road faithful with a 90th minute winner after carving through the middle of the Leeds defence. This was especially cruel as the striker was lucky to still be on the pitch having flattened Meslier midway though the second half!

All in all, a much better performance, and if f Leeds play like they did on Saturday, they'll climb their way out of trouble - agree?

Bielsa post match comments

Is it time to get rid of the dead wood?

Leeds fans can be very unforgiving, especially when things are not going well. Once the finger of blame has been pointed, it's very difficult to escape its wrath. Tyler Roberts and Liam Cooper are two players who have received more than their fair share of criticism lately from the Leeds Utd faithful, but are the comments justified? Whilst we have seen Pascal Struijk break through into the first team squad, the gaffer prefers to stick with experience, but with the emergence of players such as Charlie Cresswell and Joe Gelhardt, are the old guard in danger of being replaced?

We know that Bielsa has his favourites, with both Cooper and Roberts falling into that category, will the gaffer give the first team a good shake up? It's not normally his way! We only tend to see changes in the line-up when injuries or suspensions occur! How long will it be before the Leeds crowd get on Bielsa's back?

Injury heartache for Forshaw

Adam Forshaw's injury nightmare continuous, after it was disclosed the 29yo has once again been sidelined. He joins an increasing number of players on the treatment table as the medical team at Thorp Arch are inundated with casualties. The news was greeted with moans and groans on social media, but hopefully the midfielders latest setback will only keep him sidelined for a month. According to Bielsa...

He has a tear in the posterior part of his thigh. With a muscular injury they usually consume a month's time. Forshaw makes enormous efforts not to injure himself but after two years out it is difficult to get back into the swing of things.

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th September) Spirited Leeds display ends in defeat

Post by Leeds1000 »

Spirited display ends in defeat

It was a good performance until Raph went off. Leeds threat over lets get into them.

Is it time to get rid of the dead wood

I said in the off season Roberts should seek FTF elsewhere for the sake of his own career more than anything else. We see it so often players just not gelling at a certain club. It doesn't help his cause now that Marcelo see's him as another winger. If we are honest he's not good enough to command a regular spot in this team..
Coops is our slowest defender but reads the game well and he's been a great servant/captain but when they are all fit i think its time to makeway. We now have 5 CB's vying for 2 slots.

You have got to feel for the kid but he's finished here. Lets just hope Orta's crocks in Koch & Llorente don't go the same way.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th September) Spirited Leeds display ends in defeat

Post by Chilli D »

The first half was our best 45 minutes of the season so far but you could tell the game hinged on the next goal and unfortunately they got it. Not long after Klich really should have made it 2-0 I might add.
The first goal was a fluke, it it hits no-one Meslier saves it easily and the second was a real kick in the love spuds but very well taken. Antonio is a proper no 9 though, I wish we had him.
Meslier, Cresswell and Raphinha were outstanding. What a pairing Cresswell and Struijk could make in years to come. I love the way Charlie is constantly talking to the other players, a future captain in the making. His days in the U23's should be over now, he should be on our bench at the very least.
Roberts should go out on loan in January to a Championship side to try and boost his confidence but personally I think that is his level, he isn't PL level.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:55 am Spirited display ends in defeat

It was a good performance until Raph went off. Leeds threat over lets get into them.

Is it time to get rid of the dead wood

I said in the off season Roberts should seek FTF elsewhere for the sake of his own career more than anything else. We see it so often players just not gelling at a certain club. It doesn't help his cause now that Marcelo see's him as another winger. If we are honest he's not good enough to command a regular spot in this team..
Coops is our slowest defender but reads the game well and he's been a great servant/captain but when they are all fit i think its time to makeway. We now have 5 CB's vying for 2 slots.

You have got to feel for the kid but he's finished here. Lets just hope Orta's crocks in Koch & Llorente don't go the same way.
With the players we have, we are perfectly suited to play 5/3/2 or 3/5/2 whichever way to look at our wing backs!

At least it would give the opposition something new to worry about instead of doing the same things all the time!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 am The first half was our best 45 minutes of the season so far but you could tell the game hinged on the next goal and unfortunately they got it. Not long after Klich really should have made it 2-0 I might add.
The first goal was a fluke, it it hits no-one Meslier saves it easily and the second was a real kick in the love spuds but very well taken. Antonio is a proper no 9 though, I wish we had him.
Meslier, Cresswell and Raphinha were outstanding. What a pairing Cresswell and Struijk could make in years to come. I love the way Charlie is constantly talking to the other players, a future captain in the making. His days in the U23's should be over now, he should be on our bench at the very least.
Roberts should go out on loan in January to a Championship side to try and boost his confidence but personally I think that is his level, he isn't PL level.
You can tell Cresswell is Captain material
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th September) Spirited Leeds display ends in defeat

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Yes our best performance of the season so far but then so far our standards haven't been very high, we did however at least deserve a draw out of the game, as Leeds1000 said we became toothless when Raph went off.

I said in the summer (like many did) Roberts should have gone out on loan and got regular first team football, he's not going to get that here, he's not an impact sub he needs regular game time to get the best out of him.

Coops isn't our best CB but he's the only experienced one we have that isn't injured as it's already been proved by how many are injured/suspended we are better with him than without.

Forshaw how much did we all want to see him at least kick a ball for us in a Prem game somehow I'm doubting that will ever happen now
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th September) Spirited Leeds display ends in defeat

Post by weasel »

A performane much mor elike the way we can play. Albeit we rode our luck at times we equally had enough good chances to go 2-0 up and then I think it would have been game over. The equaliser is the type of goal that you concede when you're ina bad run.

I do think Tyler is in real danger of being overtaken. There is talent there but it just never seems to make a difference either with a goal or assist. I don't know why anyone would be looking to offload Cooper though, he's proved to be okay at this level and we rarely have the luxury of having all our defenders avaialble.

The concern at the moment is our shakiness at the back. Howver until we get a settled back 4 I don't see that improving so we really need to be scoring 2 or 3 goals a match to have a chance of winning.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:19 am With the players we have, we are perfectly suited to play 5/3/2 or 3/5/2 whichever way to look at our wing backs!

At least it would give the opposition something new to worry about instead of doing the same things all the time!
Doing the same thing is the strength of this team and why we are far better as a team than the sum of the individual parts. It is the understanding of their roles, where they need to be on the itch at all times, knowing exactly where their teammates will be without having to look up etc. It is why when we play well we play really well. Change the formation and we have in the main a championship squad of players - I don't really see hwo that improves us. And besides that the fluidity of Bielsa sees us not stereotyped into any formation as we have players popping up everywhere so we are continually changing shape and formation throughout the match.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Spirited display ends in defeat.
We were good in the 1st half - more than matched them and came in at half time with a deserved 1 goal lead, could have been more but that would possibly have been harsh on West Ham. The 2nd half unfortunately was a different story, as soon as Raphinha came off it seemed almost inevitable that they would equalise and the winner, whilst a massive disappointment, was not really unexpected as they were well on top by that stage.

Meslier and Cresswell came out of the game with enormous credit but it’s a worry that we seem to be so reliant on just one player, Raphinha, to pose any real threat to the opposition at the moment.

Should have already been done over the summer, Roberts and Forshaw are Championship players at best in my opinion. Now that Cresswell has come through and looks the part and when Llorente and Koch are fit again, may sound harsh but it might be time to consider Cooper’s future as well - 4 decent centre backs should be enough.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Don't forget the dedicated U23's thread pinned at the top of the front page.

Oldham v Leeds (ERL Cup). 7pm tomorrow tonight.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Honest Sid Goodeal here, purveyor of quality used cars, late of Hunslet Street Leeds. Now look here I know my cars my Jags and my Rolls. Never tampered with a speedo in my life, never clocked a car, but I'm telling you when it comes to part exchange then folks would try to fob me off with some real clunkers. Big ends gone gaskets blown

IMG_20210927_123136.jpg

And that is the way with cars, some of them just have got too much mileage in their legs. Sad to say but some of them are ready for the scrap heap. They might have been top of the range models at one time, but if they are continually in the repair shop for a tune-up you have to know when to cut your losses. Couldn't have the forecourt littered up with old bangers... bad for business. Once you lose the confidence of the customer then nobody will buy anything from you. No one will come to your showroom anymore. What you need is a class car in the showroom... something to attract the customers... a bit of flash... a bit of dash... good on the corners.

IMG_20210927_122859.jpg

No place for sentimentality in this business. Blue smoke from the exhaust, oil leak from the sump, miss firing engine... you have to be aware of all these small faults, and if you are not careful your reputation goes and nobody has any respect for you anymore, and you find yourself at the bottom of the league. If you let it slip then you might as well be come a scrap yard rather than in the premiership of car dealers

IMG_20210927_123023.jpg
Last edited by rab_rant on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Leeds fans need to reset their expectations after the excellent first season in the Premier League.
Our target should just be be to stay in the Premier League. 17th place would do me.
The next four games are against bottom-half teams. Hopefully, we can pick up some points and the injured players will start to return.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I'm still stinging from that loss. The boys played very well and deserved better.

Roberts is only 22 years old. He seems older because he's been flirting with first team for years. I understand the frustration with him because he hasn't blossomed into a Premier League starter yet, but I think the tools are there and I can see why Bielsa sticks with him. The only way he can become a top player is to play against top players. I also don't think it's fair to judge him harshly for his turn on the wing on Saturday- Bielsa should have put him at 9 or 10 or left him on the bench.

Cooper is not our best defender but he has been our most dependable one. Ridiculous to slag him. He's been a good soldier and has been playing alongside a rotating cast all season. He'll never be more than he is, and in light of what's happened at the back, we've been lucky to have him.
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Klich could have put out out of sight nut didn't. Meslier kept scoreline respectable again with some fine saves and we've little creativity when Raphinhas not on pitch. Saturday proved that yet again. Wins badly needed in next five games
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

West ham.

The first half was our best showing of the season so far (although that isnt saying much really) we had an element of control after a difficult first15-20 mins. In those times of control you have to take advantage, we didnt.

And then 2nd half as is becoming a regular thing now we faded and West Ham took control. And that is most concerning because throughout MB's time here we have traditionally got stronger second half where out superior fitness comes into play, that isn't happening anymore.

That should concern the club grately because as was mentioned last season (by Neville or Carragher i think) if a team with better individuals matches the energy of a lesser team then the better individuals will win 9/10.

Our superior fitness is our main weapon and that now seems to have gone but we are still trying to go man for man toe to toe vs better players, its not going to end well and the club and MB need to realise this quickly.

Ive seen some say we deserved a point? Not sure myself. West Ham started the 1st half better and had chances for the first 15-20mins and then we dominated the rest but then West Ham dominated the whole second half.

Unlucky with the deflections but overall we were the better team for a smaller portion of the match.

I wouldn't call them that, seems harsh but i have made my opinion clear on this. More should have been done in the summer. A more ruthless attitude was needed but i suspect MB and Radz and Orta havent got thay in them and if that is the case we will stagnate indefinitely.

Adam Forshaw

On a human level much sympathy for him as he clearly has had an awful few years and has had to work very hard.

It was also totally wrong for Radz to do what he did, it put immense pressure on Forshaw just because Radz wanted to look edgey and funny.

But on a fan level never in history has a players ability and contribution been enhanced more by not playing, he has barely played for us under Bielsa and had little to no impact on our progress. But to read articles and some fan opinions youd think he was prime Xavi before his injury.

A tidy and safe lower league player, nothing more.

He should be released at the end of the season, or retire and be offered a coaching role in the academy maybe?

If the club offer him a new playing contract then i truly will despair, i know he has struggled with injuries but they have looked after him for years, we owe him no more than that imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Time to be ruthless not toothless.
Get shut of roberts, cooper and forshaw.
Give that lazy twat harrison a reet good boot up t' arse, also tell James to play better as well ,jury still out on him at the moment, he's a lot to prove. Young Jimmy is ready.
Others like ayling, klich and dallas have been great stalwarts but, blind loyalty and sentimentality has no place in football.
Hopefully now, the realalisation is staring MB in the chops, he knows the young guns are more than willing and able, just need to bide our time a little longer maybe.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"