The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th October) - Junior Firpo will come good

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th October) - Junior Firpo will come good

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 7th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Junior Firpo will come good

When Junior Firpo arrived in the Summer, everyone expected him to be an upgrade on Alioski, but his transition to Premiership football hasn't gone exactly to plan. It's safe to say most of us underestimated the impact Alioski had on the squad. The cheeky North Macedonian was not only a dressing room favourite, but his rate work on the pitch made him a favourite of Bielsa! To give Firpo his dues, his latter performances against West Ham and Watford have learnt the former Barcelona lad rave reviews, and according to Phil Hay, he will continue to improve...

When I think about it, I do reckon that joining this team as a full-back must be tough. Everyone is so well drilled and the full-backs have really complex roles. It’s not a surprise if Firpo is a slow burn. I get the feeling he’ll come good.

Dallas and Klich add stability in midfield

Former Chief football writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post Phil Hay believes Dallas and Klich add stability in the heart of the Leeds midfield. The experienced duo 30, and 31 respectively, exceeded fans expectations last season turning in dazzling performances week in, week out; and although neither have managed to recapture the form of last term, both continue to play an integral part of Bielsa's system. According to Hay...

To me, it made sense to get Dallas and Klich into the midfield while the results weren't coming. It gives a bit of strength and stability and it plays the percentages slightly. It's a steadier formation and Rodrigo at 9 is much more free to think like an attacker. When Bamford returns? Something tells me he'll be back into the starting line-up. Bielsa loves him.

It's been well documented that Stuart Dallas has had 'personal issues' to contend with this season. Whilst we're not sure what these issues are, broadcast journalist and Leeds fan Conor McGilligan believes the best way for the Northern Ireland Internation to overcome them, is to take him out of the firing line...

There’s off-the-field issues, as [has] been reported with Stuart Dallas, but on the field, that’s clearly affecting him. I think he’s been poor, I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line, even though it was a good performance from him at the weekend.

Time for an overhaul

Leeds free flowing, end to end football has won the admiration of millions of football fans since their return from the sixteen-year exile from the top flight. Having his players in peak physical fitness, earned Bielsa's team a top half finish last season, much to the surprise of others. As we all know, as we get older, we slow down.

Many of us were surprised that this did not happen in the Summer, but the kitty was (supposedly) bare! Bielsa demands a lot from his players; intensive training day after day, sessions of murderball on a Thursday, followed by a weekend fixture has taken it's toll on his small squad. We have to ask, how long can the seniors keep up with the pace?

Dallas, Ayling, Rodrigo and Cooper are all 30 (and Adam Forshaw turns 30 tomorrow), whilst Klich is now 31. All five are first team regulars, and favourites of Bielsa. Whilst there are plenty of individuals that play in the top flight a lot older, none have to contend with the elite training Bielsa demands.

Is it time for an overhaul?

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th October) Firpo will come good

Post by weasel »

I don't get all the nonsense about Dallas supposedly aving a poor game. Yes he missed a couple of shots and I think that is why people are having a pop at him. He scores one of those and people would be saying he had a great game. He got into some great positions and worked his socks off as part of a midfield that completely controlled the game.

Firpo - People need to let him settle. New country, new language, new team mates, new system and playing every match again. He obviously played really well at his first club in La Liga in order for Barcelona to buy him so he obviously has a lot of ability.

Why should the players need replacing? Look at Ronaldo, if the desire to stay at the top and train hard is there then they can play for a few more years. Dallas missed a lot of games pre-Bielsa but has been near ever present the last 2 seasons. Cooper's always missed a few matches so no change there. Players hae dips in form, play long enough and they'll have a dip. Doesn't mean they are exhausted, past it etc just that at some point you'll have a bit of a blip.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th October) Firpo will come good

Post by Ratscoot »

weasel wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:22 am I don't get all the nonsense about Dallas supposedly aving a poor game. Yes he missed a couple of shots and I think that is why people are having a pop at him. He scores one of those and people would be saying he had a great game. He got into some great positions and worked his socks off as part of a midfield that completely controlled the game.

Firpo - People need to let him settle. New country, new language, new team mates, new system and playing every match again. He obviously played really well at his first club in La Liga in order for Barcelona to buy him so he obviously has a lot of ability.

Why should the players need replacing? Look at Ronaldo, if the desire to stay at the top and train hard is there then they can play for a few more years. Dallas missed a lot of games pre-Bielsa but has been near ever present the last 2 seasons. Cooper's always missed a few matches so no change there. Players hae dips in form, play long enough and they'll have a dip. Doesn't mean they are exhausted, past it etc just that at some point you'll have a bit of a blip.
Mornings EB, Weasel et all

Weasel well said and saved me writing it, I’d just add yes we need a few players and going forward some of the older players will eventually need replacing but that’s the same for every time not just us
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th October) - Junior Firpo will come good

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Everyone

Nothing wrong with having a balanced side but Bielsa won't change his starting line up unless there's an injury.

Having 5 starters week in, week out at 30yo or older, playing the way Bielsa demands, must take its toll. We saw Klich get burnt out last season, ad El Loco was the last to notice. There were those of us that saw it months before. The only reason why Struijk broke through to the first team is because of injury, and he couldn't then find a square peg to put into a round hole. If money is tight, we need to start integrating these players now with 30 mins here and there, but we are not seeing it.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th October) - Junior Firpo will come good

Post by Ellandback1 »

Looks like Newcastle takeover may actually happen soon. Will be interesting to see how much they invest in the team!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma was handcuffed by cops and marched out of a nightclub on suspicion of sexual assault on Tuesday night.

Only the Sun have named him. All other sources don't! He's meant to be Brighton's best player this season!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:27 am Morning Everyone

Nothing wrong with having a balanced side but Bielsa won't change his starting line up unless there's an injury.

Having 5 starters week in, week out at 30yo or older, playing the way Bielsa demands, must take its toll. We saw Klich get burnt out last season, ad El Loco was the last to notice. There were those of us that saw it months before. The only reason why Struijk broke through to the first team is because of injury, and he couldn't then find a square peg to put into a round hole. If money is tight, we need to start integrating these players now with 30 mins here and there, but we are not seeing it.
Are you sure? He got a hip injury and Covid IIRC, neither of which could be classed as burn out
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We can't compare our players with Messi and Ronaldo, they're not world class. It's imperative we replace the 30-somethings, we're struggling this year as a result of the failure to do so in the summer. If we can't afford to replace them, then use the u23s. Not having it that Lewis Bate can't come on for the final 10/15 mins to replace tired legs in midfield.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Firpo.

The truth is he has always had issues defensively, no guarantees he will ever get over them.

Phil showed an article though that showed Ali's stats to show how hard it is to replace him.

His running stats were phenomenal, that sort of energy is going to be so hard to replicate for Firpo.

Just have to hope.

Dallas

Kind of agree, whatever has impacted Dallas is causing his poor form or at least linked to you would suspect.

He has never been the most technically gifted player tbf and last seasons goal show was a career best, was unlikely to repeat.

But his all round game has suffered so far, probably needs a rest or a recharge but we have no depth so wont happen.

Overhaul.

Done to death, should have happened, didn't happen, we will suffer this season because of it.

Simple
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:27 am Morning Everyone

Bielsa's system needs a balanced side and continuity. If Bielsa's preferred starting XI had played every match this season we'd have got more points. Bielsa's system, probably more than any other manager's, needs familiarity, needs every player moving on auto-pilot, needs every player knowing where every other player is moving to and you only get that through continuity.

I'm sure Bielsa and his army of minnions know exactly if any player is having a dip in form or a dip in energy because they monitor everything. I'm sure Bielsa last season showed something about Klich which showed he was running as much as he had been doing previously.

To read some of the views you'd think we'd been geoing backwards as a club over the last 3 years and players needed replacing. Instead the players have been generally performing better every season so why should they simply be discarded because they are getting a bit older or cos a younger player is doing ok?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:20 am Are you sure? He got a hip injury and Covid IIRC, neither of which could be classed as burn out
Last season, Klich definately suffered from burnout
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Nothing to see here... move along. We have the seventh youngest team in the league
IMG_20211007_160823.jpg
Last edited by rab_rant on Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:20 pm Last season, Klich definately suffered from burnout
I dispute that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:38 pmI dispute that
Tbf his form did dip and he then himself admitted in an interview he was exhausted and suffering with injuries and needed a rest.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:55 pm Tbf his form did dip and he then himself admitted in an interview he was exhausted and suffering with injuries and needed a rest.
Injuries are different to burnout though. True you are more likely to get injured if your body is tired but that would be muscle pulls rather than a hip injury.

That said I think Klich probably was exhausted having played near enough every match for the last 3 seasons for us and Poland. I think any player would be whether they were playing for Bielsa or any other team with the possible exception of teams like PSG, Real Madrid, Barca etc who would probably have a lot of games where players don't need to be at 100%.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Junior Firpo will come good?

He is a concern on the defensive side of things, the same was labelled at Ali for a long time tho. Its the cavalier way we play. Its great to watch but we need a solid cb contingent to take up the slack.

Dallas and Klich add stability in midfield

Dallas offers Phillips abit more cover but i think last season we peaked in that department, time will tell us that over the season i guess. Shacks is waiting in the wings.. he's starting to enjoy himself and long may it continue, he seems a smashing kid.

Time for an overhaul

Radz investing in the youth of tomorrow is the way we seem to be moving. A couple of first teamers every season added to the mix and we may make top 10 regularly if we are lucky. We just have to be realistic in terms of finances. The Saudis are going to be keen to make their presence felt aswell.

Why we have Marcelo we keep fighting.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Firpo will be an outstanding player for us given time. He's improving noticeably with every game he plays.

There. I said it.

I will take every bit of criticism that will come my why should I be proven wrong, but I'm not expecting to have to.