The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 22nd October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

Leeds fans were left bemused and infuriated after it was revealed during yesterday's Pre Match Press Conference that Kalvin Phillips has overcome his calf injury, but will not participate against Wolves tomorrow. The Yorkshire Pirlo has been sidelined for three weeks due to a calf strain, and the gaffer is concerned about his fitness levels. Whilst we respect and understand Bielsa's strict demands of his players, fans are concerned that he'll be throwing his players to the Wolves (literally) without the guidance of their talisman. According to Bielsa...

He's healthy, but he hasn’t competed for three weeks. If he played on Saturday, it’d be far too quick. It's necessary for more football training.

Bielsa will not bend on principles

Anybody that believes that Bielsa will change his Managerial approach in order to drag Leeds away from the drop zone can think again. These are the thoughts of journalist Phil Hay. He went on to insinuate that the hierarchy remain fully behind the 66yo:-

There are certain subjects on which Bielsa will not concede ground; the depth of his squad, his rigid insistence on trusting Plan A and his handling of recovering players. Kalvin Phillips was “healthy” after a calf strain, Bielsa revealed, but would not start against Wolverhampton Wanderers tomorrow. It was, seemingly, too much of a gamble to play him after three weeks out even if half the world thinks it is too much of a gamble not to. But this is Bielsa. If a club expect him to bend on principles, then that club are in need of a different coach. And in the corridors of Elland Road, they continue to believe that his team will emerge from under a low cloud.

Whilst it's admirable that Bielsa would rather fall on his sword than concede to his principles, it doesn't help the team if the worst were to happen. He gets to walk away whilst West Yorkshire's finest face an uncertain future languishing away from the glitz and glamour of the Premier League.

Perhaps we should listen to Bielsa! He has never let us down before, and has done more for our club than any other Manager, except of course Wilko and the Don. His methods may be unorthodox, but it's what sets us apart from the rest of the top flight!

Who should replace Phillips tomorrow

With Phillips ruled out of tomorrow's clash with Wolves, many Leeds fans have differing opinions on who should replace him tomorrow? To say Phillips is influential is an understatement. Since returning to the top flight, Leeds have lost nine out of the 11 fixtures without him. Koch, Struijk and Klich have all deputised for the England midfielder, but none have come close to replicating his form! Who would you choose to replace the Yorkshire Pirlo?

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

Post by Scoobychief »

Could this be one of bielsa mind trick to fool wolves. And he will ay after all. Who knows
rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd October) Fans left infuriated by Phillips omission

Post by rab_rant »

Play Phillips and he becomes injured then Bielsa has been irresponsible.

Refuse to play Phillips when he is fit and Bielsa is mismanaging team selection.

Just how many ways can you crucify a man?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Hmmm, who to trust on how best to handle the Phillips situation? Leeds manager in consultation with the player and club medical staff and physios? Or furious fans who don't have the slightest idea of the issues?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Agree with Rab here Bielsa can't win either way but then again since he's been here how many times has he done stuff that shocked us and it turned out to be a master stroke, he's not just the manager (Steve Bruce was a manager, Solskjær is a .....) Bielsa is far more than that to this club and we should trust him to get the job done.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

Could well be that Forshaw is penciled in.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:02 am Play Phillips and he becomes injured then Bielsa has been irresponsible.

Refuse to play Phillips when he is fit and Bielsa is mismanaging team selection.

Just how many ways can you crucify a man?

It took you three years but finally you say something I agree with :lol:

Well played rab.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

One of Bielsa’s most endearing but sometimes most frustrating traits is that he is too honest for the modern game of “dog eat dog” football. I’m sure most, if not all, other managers, having been asked the question “would Phillips be playing against Wolves?” and knowing full well that he wouldn’t, would have said I don’t know in order to keep the opposition guessing. Now they can develop their tactics for Saturday knowing full well that Phillips won’t be in the team. Bielsa is brilliant but sometimes appears quite naive.

Had Koch not been injured I would have put him in to substitute for Phillips and, based on nothing but a gut instinct, in the long run I think he would possibly be the most suited to that position if/when Phillips is sold. As it is, it’s going to one of Struijk, Llorente, Dallas, Klich or even Forshaw - none of whom are anywhere near as good Phillips as a defensive central midfielder.
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Is it just me getting a bit fed up with life in the PL. So many clubs either just making up numbers or fighting for survival
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:56 am One of Bielsa’s most endearing but sometimes most frustrating traits is that he is too honest for the modern game of “dog eat dog” football. I’m sure most, if not all, other managers, having been asked the question “would Phillips be playing against Wolves?” and knowing full well that he wouldn’t, would have said I don’t know in order to keep the opposition guessing. Now they can develop their tactics for Saturday knowing full well that Phillips won’t be in the team. Bielsa is brilliant but sometimes appears quite naive.

Had Koch not been injured I would have put him in to substitute for Phillips and, based on nothing but a gut instinct, in the long run I think he would possibly be the most suited to that position if/when Phillips is sold. As it is, it’s going to one of Struijk, Llorente, Dallas, Klich or even Forshaw - none of whom are anywhere near as good Phillips as a defensive central midfielder.
Agreed.
His open honesty about team selection and injuries days before a game has always annoyed me but its just his way I'm afraid.
I do wish someone would have a word in his ear and tell him to keep his cards closer to his chest.
As you say, Wolves now know Phillips won't be playing and will be delighted by the news I expect.
I don't have an issue with Phillips not playing if Bielsa and the medical team advise against it by the way.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Someone needs to translate the words “SIDE BEFORE SELF EVERY TIME” into Spanish.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:45 am
https://www.venuetoolbox.com/LeighSport ... Spectators
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Chilli D wrote: Agreed.
His open honesty about team selection and injuries days before a game has always annoyed me but its just his way I'm afraid.
I do wish someone would have a word in his ear and tell him to keep his cards closer to his chest.
As you say, Wolves now know Phillips won't be playing and will be delighted by the news I expect.
I don't have an issue with Phillips not playing if Bielsa and the medical team advise against it by the way.
Perhaps the reporters should not ask such leading questions if they don't want honest answers or they think he will give something away

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 am Perhaps the reporters should not ask such leading questions if they don't want honest answers or they think he will give something away

You’ve clearly not read the pseudo textbook, “Reporting for Dummies”, especially chapter 1, para 1.

‘Always ask leading questions: one day your target may be stupid enough to give an honest answer. However, don’t think you will ever interview anyone dumb enough to give something away.’
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Re Bielsas answers

He is a purist, an idealist despite the crap that surrounded him over spygate he is is an honset man.
And that includes him prefering that to avoid the mind games and subterfuge that some others employ.
It is tne of the reasons he is so admired.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:56 am One of Bielsa’s most endearing but sometimes most frustrating traits is that he is too honest for the modern game of “dog eat dog” football. I’m sure most, if not all, other managers, having been asked the question “would Phillips be playing against Wolves?” and knowing full well that he wouldn’t, would have said I don’t know in order to keep the opposition guessing. Now they can develop their tactics for Saturday knowing full well that Phillips won’t be in the team. Bielsa is brilliant but sometimes appears quite naive.

At least he's stopped giving out his line up 48 hours before a game, though knowing he never changes his tactics, and the players who are available, there won't be any surprises!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DavidH wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am Could well be that Forshaw is penciled in.
Hopefully...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

I'd rather play with a very unfit kalvin than anybody else in our squad there. We very rarely win without kalvin in that role 😞
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

KP.

Whilst i understand the fear/annoyance at KP being out (he has veen pretty poor this season anyway).

Must remember that Bielsa said before that KP had been struggling with a hip injury, that i suspect is the reason for this caution.

Bielsa is an idealist, we know that.

It definitely shouldn't Adam Forshaw who was dire vs Southampton as shown by his passing accuracy (only Gelhardt and Summerville did worse).

The man hasnt played for 2 years, he cant be expected to start or even play EPL imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom