The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 25th October) Gelhardt saves the day

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 25th October) Gelhardt saves the day

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 25th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road…

Gelhardt saves the day

Leeds came from behind to grab a share of the spoils, during a tense encounter at Elland Road on Saturday. It was a far more spirited performance from the Whites, a display that showed the World, that West Yorkshire's finest were not just going to buckle, and let nature take its course.

Leeds went behind on ten minutes. Semado was attacking down the right wing. He skipped past the despairing challenge from Harrison, and rolled the ball to Jimenez on the edge of the box. The veteran Mexican International took a touch before taking aim. His effort was thwarted by a combination of blocks from Shackleton, Struijk and Llorente, yet the ball bobbled kindly in front of Hwang Hee-Chan. The South Korean International, on loan from German outfit Leipzig grabbed his fourth goal in as many games. Meslier had no chance!

To their credit, Leeds dominated both possession, and efforts at goal, but only shared the same number of shots on target (4). As the clock ticked by, it looked increasingly likely that Bruno Lage's team would seal another smash and grab against Bielsa's boys; but the 36,000 screaming home fans weren't ready to give up on their team.

With fifteen minutes remaining, Bielsa finally conceded to popular demand and bought Gelhardt on. His instant arrival turned the game firmly in Leeds favour. They finally had a square peg in a square hole, and Jolly was keen to show the Leeds faithful what they had been missing this season. Being in the right place at the right time isn't luck as the 19yo proved during his fifteen minute cameo appearance. He forced a finger tip save from Sa, with another worthy effort going just wide.

Deep into injury time, the hosts were finally rewarded for their hard work. Gelhardt picked the ball up 40 yards from goal, and carved the visitors wide open. His surging run into the Wolves penalty area was only interrupted when sent sprawling following a mistimed challenge by a Wolves defender. The referee had no option but to point to the Penalty spot, from which Rodrigo duly converted.

The last-gasp equaliser felt more like a win, but football is rarely fair. The Whites will need to continue to show not just passion, but a gritty resolve to stop the rot, and claw their way to safety.

Should Bielsa be beyond reproach

It would be fair to say that Tyler Roberts receives more than his fair share of criticism, but how much of it is actually justified? The 22yo was a January signing nearly four years ago, during which time he has made 87 appearances and has netted eight times. The majority of his displays have come from the bench, which can make it difficult to play catch up and make an impact on the game, which is where the problem magnifies.

His half-time arrival sparked moans and groans from social media, as we saw the Welsh International once again going through the motions. Is he a bad player - No, he's more than competent, but there's no end product! He isn't the right player to bring on from a losing position, yet we see these almost robotic substitution's week in week out.

Nobody can criticise what Bielsa has achieved during his three-year reign. Even at the ripe old age of 66, the Argentine continuous to be rated a legendary coach by his peers; this being the case, why is his Managerial decisions so questionable? It's well documented that he will only play one way, insists on a skeleton squad, will play square pegs in round holes and makes very questionable substitutions. Whilst we got away with it in our first season back in the top flight, opposing Managers have found a way to counter his tactics.

Is Bielsa the right man to guide Leeds away from the drop zone, or is it time to change? Why is it that so many feel the Argentine is beyond reproach?

Equaliser - A shot in the arm for Rodrigo

Rodrigo's injury time equaliser from twelve yards should be a 'shot in the arm' for Rodrigo. Leeds 30m record signing finally found the back of the net after fluffing his lines in his previous eight appearances. Though the striker isn't recognised as being a goalscorer, the hope is, he will rediscover his finishing touch that was so instrumental during the final third of last season. According to Phil Hay…

It should be. Just what was needed and if that doesn’t give Rodrigo a shot in the arm, nothing will. I’ve never seen Elland Road celebrate a result in October like that. A big moment.

The Leeds journalist went on to compliment the 36,000 fans roaring Leeds on!

I know Elland Road has to change and expand but I’ll miss the 36,000 capacity bear pit. I can’t be bothered getting into the ‘one ground is better than another’ debate but ER is so unlike a lot of other stadiums. So raw and so intense. Malice at the Palace.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 25th October) Gelhardt saves the day

Post by Chilli D »

I think Gelhardt got 30 minutes didn't he? Either way, it was an excellent cameo and showed others how to make an impact from the bench.
I'm remaining cautious but we could possibly have a special young player on our hands.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Yes he had about 30 minutes on the pitch but only really got going in the last 15 minutes and boy did he get going. Two very direct runs into their penalty area the 2nd one ending up in a penalty, at least three shots on goal one of which was a blistering shot on target bringing a good reaction save from their goalie.

Now that’s the sort of impact you want from a player coming off the bench when we are a goal down. As compared to Tyler Roberts who as you say is a competent footballer but his effect on just about every game is negligible.

Managers or players should not be beyond reproach, we, as fans and payers of their wages, have a right to criticise when justified but Marcelo Bielsa as the Manager has, in his 3 and a bit years, done more for Leeds United than any other Manager in my living memory apart, of course, from Revie and Wilkinson. I still remember very clearly his 1st match in charge when we played Stoke City off the park. I found it hard to believe that these same players who had been fairly ordinary up to then could be capable of player such scintillating football. The change, in such a short period of time, seemed and indeed was, utterly remarkable, so you won’t hear any carping from me!

Pleased for Rodrigo, hope he continues to produce that kind of form.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

What is wrote above is what we, as fans have been saying for a long while.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

It looks like Emma Louise Jones has parted ways with Leeds Utd. She has joined the team at Indonesian Sports Channel Mola TV, and has taken down her LUFC profile on LinkedIn.

Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Gelhardt saves the day:

Great performance from Joffy. We haven't faced too many park-the-bus sides so far this season but when we do, we now have our go to man. He turned the game on its head and nearly won it at the end. To get a point so late in the day felt like a win in some ways. The honeymoon season is over we need to battle for every point.

Having watched the Wolves goal back i am surprised some people pointed the finger at Coops. He had nothing to do with it really.

Should Bielsa be beyond reproach:

No. Its natural there is always more questions asked when things aren't going well. From a personal perspective i am a bit Norwich when it comes to loyalty, i find it hard to get it out of my head how Marcelo has transformed this club. When i think of the finances available and i look at the players he's been handed imo he has done a remarkable job so far. I get that its not very pleasant thinking we will never win the PL but that won't change with another manager in charge, only with a new playboy owner.

Equaliser - A shot in the arm for Rodrigo:

He had a good game especially second half. Its when we are under the cosh he can go missing. Anyway what a penalty, when he ran towards that corner flag and snapped it in half it was like someone had released the pressure valve in him.

I liked Emma Louise Jones more for her personality than her knowledge. ;-)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:19 am Gelhardt saves the day:

Great performance from Joffy. We haven't faced too many park-the-bus sides so far this season but when we do, we now have our go to man. He turned the game on its head and nearly won it at the end. To get a point so late in the day felt like a win in some ways. The honeymoon season is over we need to battle for every point.

Having watched the Wolves goal back i am surprised some people pointed the finger at Coops. He had nothing to do with it really.

Should Bielsa be beyond reproach:

No. Its natural there is always more questions asked when things aren't going well. From a personal perspective i am a bit Norwich when it comes to loyalty, i find it hard to get it out of my head how Marcelo has transformed this club. When i think of the finances available and i look at the players he's been handed imo he has done a remarkable job so far. I get that its not very pleasant thinking we will never win the PL but that won't change with another manager in charge, only with a new playboy owner.

Equaliser - A shot in the arm for Rodrigo:

He had a good game especially second half. Its when we are under the cosh he can go missing. Anyway what a penalty, when he ran towards that corner flag and snapped it in half it was like someone had released the pressure valve in him.

I liked Emma Louise Jones more for her personality than her knowledge. ;-)
Cooper was fantastic on Saturday
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 am It looks like Emma Louise Jones has parted ways with Leeds Utd. She has joined the team at Indonesian Sports Channel Mola TV, and has taken down her LUFC profile on LinkedIn.

Is that a real life photo ?………..it looks more like a CGI imo :duno: