Album of 1984 (Round 3) - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 1994

Post by 1964white »

Arcade Fire 'Funeral'
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14808
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Album of 1994

Post by lufc1304 »

Kanye West 'The College Dropout' (before he turned into a massive bellend!)
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by billie1 »

I’ll pass on this one ‘64 . ( I think I stopped listening to new music in the early 2000’s
save the occasional dabble and took up listening to jazz instead ).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23125
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by SG90 »

Damn my two choices already gone lol

Off to have a think
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by White Riot »

Well done Leon again ☺️

2004 My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Was also tempted with The Killers - Hot Fuss

But like the MCR album better :ok:
User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11608
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Gandalf »

Magenta - Seven
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:39 pm Well done Leon again ☺️

2004 My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Was also tempted with The Killers - Hot Fuss

But like the MCR album better :ok:
Thanks mate :tup:

Love the first two Killers albums as does Jill.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:38 pm Damn my two choices already gone lol

Off to have a think
I suspect one of them was my nomination, SG :lol:
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8201
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Mrs64 »

Morrissey 'You Are The Quarry'
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18295
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Not a bad year 2004, with a few to choose from. But will go with (imo) what is the best album from one of my favourite bands:

Manic Street Preachers ‘Lifeblood’
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 1994

Post by White Riot »

lufc1304 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:19 pm Kanye West 'The College Dropout' (before he turned into a massive bellend!)
You're way too complementary there mate :)

Bellends are useful things ;-)
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by White Riot »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:57 pm Not a bad year 2004, with a few to choose from. But will go with (imo) what is the best album from one of my favourite bands:

Manic Street Preachers ‘Lifeblood’
Good un MTC, dunno how I forget about them, love the Manics :love:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23125
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:45 pm I suspect one of them was my nomination, SG :lol:
Ha yeah. I think you'll be winning again. :lol:
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78993
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by The Subhuman »

Lots of good albums will go un nominated unfortunately, only really rate Sara's Woven Hand so far I think

Beastie Boys best album
Loretta Lynn's Jack White produced comeback
Willard Grants Conspiracy's excellent Regard the End
Lambchop's - No You C'mon/Aww C'mon
Air's Talkie Walkie
Muses' finest moment by a distance
Melissa Auf De Maur


But has to be The Hold Steady's stunning debut, the intro on the Switch the finest riff intro ever crashing into Finn eclectic lyrics delivered at almost a rap and played here or in the car at least once a week since

The Hold Steady 'Almost Killed Me'

The Killers and the Strokes can't live with this


"Ginger and jack and four or five feminax.
Psycho eyes and a stovepipe hat, a ray of light in white rayon slacks"
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18295
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Muppet the Cat »

White Riot wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:51 pm Good un MTC, dunno how I forget about them, love the Manics :love:
I know to many Manics fans the likes of The Holy Bible is their zenith, but tbh I’m not a massive fan of their stuff with Richey E., much preferring their post RE output. I’d put Lifeblood at #1, with probably Know Your Enemy at #2
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by White Riot »

Muppet the Cat wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:31 pm I know to many Manics fans the likes of The Holy Bible is their zenith, but tbh I’m not a massive fan of their stuff with Richey E., much preferring their post RE output. I’d put Lifeblood at #1, with probably Know Your Enemy at #2
I like both MTC, with Richey and without. I got Gold Against The Soul when it came out and loved it, and then was so excited waiting for The Holy Bible, but I didn't even buy the LP as I found it absolutely depressing, maybe a reflection of Richey's mental health. I was really pleased when they made a storming comeback after the loss of Richey, with Everything Must Go, which I consider their best album, with GATS second. They have cranked out consistently great music over the years and will always have a place in my heart :love:

I've saw them quite a few times live in Carlisle and Newcastle and they always put on a great show. I've also saw Stereophonics and Catatonia, supporting MSP, and on their own a number of times too and both great live groups, but a couple of times I got the impression Cerys was just pissed off her head :lol:

So I guess I'm a Welshophile, if there is such a thing :duno:
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by White Riot »

Mrs64 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:50 pm Morrissey 'You Are The Quarry'
Brilliant LP Jill, I played this a lot when it came out. Defo will get some points from me, but looks like I've got some tough choices on selecting which LPs I give point to this time :duno:
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:14 pm Ha yeah. I think you'll be winning again. :lol:
I was blown away when I first heard 'Funeral', played it non-stop for months. Never bettered though 'Neon Bible was excellent.

A slow burner album initially & then all of a sudden it became a massive seller.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

Someone nominate Interpol 'Antics' 8-)
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155150
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:05 pm Brilliant LP Jill, I played this a lot when it came out. Defo will get some points from me, but looks like I've got some tough choices on selecting which LPs I give point to this time :duno:
Jill & I saw Morrissey at Bridlington when he was doing his seaside tour at the time of the 'Quarry' album, his band were tight as a nun's .....! a mix of his solo stuff & the Smiths songs.

You Are The Quarry is still my favourite Morrissey album :tup:
Post Reply