Album of 1984 (Round 3) - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155139
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004

Post by 1964white »

Album of 2014

NOMINATE NOW
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155139
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - Azkal & Haighy to VOTE

Post by 1964white »

'Funeral' was a nomination I really looked forward to, a memorable album of all-time for me. One of those albums I played for months after purchasing.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155139
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - Azkal & Haighy to VOTE

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: ↑Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:14 am Hi Leon,

No disrespect to Azkal or Haighy, but the result for 2004 already looks complete, can we move on to 2014.

Already got my pick for 2014, that is one lean year imo.
That's fine mate

Apologies to Az & Haighy for missing out, who must be busy as I haven't noticed them on MOT for a few days,
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22381
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Album of 2004 - Azkal & Haighy to VOTE

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:28 am That's fine mate

Apologies to Az & Haighy for missing out, who must be busy as I haven't noticed them on MOT for a few days,
Ok, cheers mate :tup:

2014 is as lean as they come imo.

But an album I really like and that I think was a breath of fresh air is: Charli XCX - Sucker.

So I'll go with that.

The Bunnies and Manics had albums out that year, but both poor efforts for me, and that takes some saying as I love both groups.
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Mountain »

This one is obvious for me, made surely every "best album" list that year, critics loved it, a commercial hit from the US Billboard to top 10s in Britain, Russia, Japan etc., won a Grammy and nominated for a slew of awards including the Mercury Music Prize.

Aphex Twin - "Syro"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAJ8KLGqis
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155139
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by 1964white »

Well folks, this nomination won't be winning.

My considerations are albums from The Hold Steady, Damien Rice, Robert Wyatt or Antony & the Johnsons.

I'll go for something mellow & laid back.

Damien Rice 'My Favourite Faded Fantasy' (not as good as his debut

Make hay while the sun shines :-D
User avatar
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Re: Album of 2004 - Andrew & Haighy to NOMINATE.

Post by onemoreslogan »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:07 pm Love the title track 'New Roman Times', Onemore :tup:
It's a good one for sure '64. There's a few I really like, but I think my fave is Long Plastic Hallway.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155139
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004 - Andrew & Haighy to NOMINATE.

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: ↑Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:07 pm It's a good one for sure '64. There's a few I really like, but I think my fave is Long Plastic Hallway.
Enjoyed that one too, Onemore :tup:
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18293
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Album of 2004 - Azkal & Haighy to VOTE

Post by Muppet the Cat »

White Riot wrote: ↑Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:39 am Ok, cheers mate :tup:

2014 is as lean as they come imo.

But an album I really like and that I think was a breath of fresh air is: Charli XCX - Sucker.

So I'll go with that.

The Bunnies and Manics had albums out that year, but both poor efforts for me, and that takes some saying as I love both groups.
Would agree, Riot - Futurology is not up there with their better albums
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14808
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by lufc1304 »

Beck 'Morning Phase'
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Finnatic »

Only heard two albums from 2014 both I bought.
Not too keen on either of them, so it’s U2 vs HMHB.

U2 - Songs of Innocence
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Finnatic »

Btw, White Riot, I heard the Bunnymen album and I agree with you.
Forgot it was 2014 though.
User avatar
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by onemoreslogan »

Ty Segall 'Manipulator'
User avatar
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19296
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm
Twitter: @Becchiobear
Location: Bramley Leeds

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by becchio bear »

Royal Blood 'Royal Blood'

:bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:22 pm I'll leave King Nine for Faaip, and go for:

Savages - Words To The Blind
oh the pressure
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2339
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Durly »

Run The Jewels - RTJ2
Image
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by The Subhuman »

Tough, I love Jenny Lewis' work. great album from Angel Olsen too. Sunn O)))'s collaboration with Scott Walker is wierd and wonderful. Ex Hex' Rips is worth consideration too, garage rock from the three lasses out of Washington DC... and if I don't nominate those no one will

But yes, maybe the best album by a British band in the last 10 years, out of North Somerset... (fanfare)

Blueneck 'King Nine'
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 78986
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote: ↑Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:37 pm Run The Jewels - RTJ2
Would have taken odds that that was going to be Sleaford Mods.. But I like a bit of RTJ so I'm happy
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155139
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album of 2004

Post by 1964white »

Album of 2014

NOMINATE NOW

Savages - Words To The Blind' Sara
Charli XCX 'Sucker' White Riot
Damien Rice 'My Favourite Faded Fantasy' 64
Aphex Twin 'Syro' Mountain
Beck 'Morning Phase' 1304
U2 'Songs of Innocence' Finn
Ty Segall 'Manipulator' Onemore
Royal Blood 'Royal Blood' BB
Run The Jewels 'RTJ2' Durly
Blueneck 'King Nine' Faaip
User avatar
Muppet the Cat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18293
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Album of 2014 - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Between three for me - The Afghan Whigs ‘Do To The Beast’, Sharon Van Etten ‘Are We There’ and Alcest ‘Shelter’.

Will go with - The Afghan Whigs ‘Do To The Beast’
Post Reply