Brighton 0-0 Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Brighton 0-0 Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 27th November 17:30 | Amex Stadium

Leeds face a torrid trip down to the South Coast to face Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday, desperate to claw their way from the drop zone. Their plight is not made any easier after it was confirmed that Patrick Bamford will yet again miss the action. The 28yo has been sidelined for over two months with an ankle ligament injury. Although he has returned to training this week, he gave the medical team a big scare when he went over on his ankle; fortunately, no damage was done. Journalist Beren Cross expects Bamford to play at last a couple of games for the U23's before he regains his rightful place, spearheading the attack for the first XI.

It's better news for leading scorer Raphinha. Having missed the Spurs game through illness, the Brazilian International has returned to training, and will start against the Seagulls. Firpo too is available and starts at left back. The former Barcelona left back was less than impressive during his 30 minute cameo role last weekend; let's hope he was just brushing the cobwebs off. Rodrigo's chances of starting were rated as 50/50 having picked up a minor foot injury prior to the Spurs game. But the Spanish international will start up front.

During a recent interview Bielsa stated that Luke Ayling's comeback is being assessed on a day to day basis. We can therefore rule him out of action. His deputy Jamie Shackleton joins him on the sidelines, although there is footage of the 22yo light training earlier this week. Stuart Dallas will fill in at right back yet again. Long term absentee Robin Koch remains on the treatment table.

Brighton were one of the few teams to do the double over Bielsa's side last season. For whatever reason Leeds simply didn't play well against Graham Potters side. After a strong start to their campaign this term, they have slipped down to 9th in the table, having not won in the league in the last seven attempts.

The hosts we be without midfielder Steven Alzate (having undergone surgery for a troublesome ankle injury) and Danny Welbeck (Hamstring). Enock Mwepu could return for the Seagulls after overcoming a muscle strain. Shot stopper Robert Sanchez returns to action after being sent off against Newcastle.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Brighton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Chilli D »

Raphinha has to start so interesting to see what Bielsa does as James and Harrison both had decent games against Spurs, James in particular.
Struijk also had a good game so Firpo should have to settle for a place on the bench.
Klich was well below the standard he is capable of and may be back on the bench.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 am Raphinha has to start so interesting to see what Bielsa does as James and Harrison both had decent games against Spurs, James in particular.
Struijk also had a good game so Firpo should have to settle for a place on the bench.
Klich was well below the standard he is capable of and may be back on the bench.
I wouldn't be surprised if the pecking order is back in place with Joe on the bench come Saturday evening.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I'd like to keep Harrison on the left and James on the right. I'd have Raphinha as the attacking midfielder with Gelhart in front of him.

I would drop Klich, and replace him with either Rodrigo or Forshaw to play a more midfield role.

-----------------------Meslier-----------------------
Dallas---------Struijk----Llorente-------Firpo
-----------------------Phillips----------------------
James-----Raphinha---Rodrigo----Harrison
----------------------Gelhardt----------------------
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Whoever wins the midfield battle will win on Saturday.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:19 pm I'd like to keep Harrison on the left and James on the right. I'd have Raphinha as the attacking midfielder with Gelhart in front of him.

I would drop Klich, and replace him with either Rodrigo or Forshaw to play a more midfield role.

I'd be happy with that but there's no way Cooper will be left out
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:19 pm I'd like to keep Harrison on the left and James on the right. I'd have Raphinha as the attacking midfielder with Gelhart in front of him.

How can you drop Forshaw when we have looked secure in our last three matches with AF on the pitch?
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Need to keep Forshaw in at the expense of Rodrigo else we will get overrun in midfield.

With James and Harrison showing glimpses of a bit of form I would keep both and have Raph playing just behind Gelhardt up top.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

James-----Raphinha---Forshaw----Harrison

Is this our strongest XI for Saturday.

Is it a 4/1/4/1 or a 4/2/3/1?
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

We need to pick up some points over the next three games: Brighton (A), Palace (H), Brentford (H)
A couple of wins would raise the morale of the team and the supporters.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:48 pm -----------------------Meslier-----------------------
James-----Raphinha---Forshaw----Harrison

Is this our strongest XI for Saturday.

Is it a 4/1/4/1 or a 4/2/3/1?
Think it is with availability.
Would prefer it as a 4 2 3 1
With Forshaw helping out Phillips in the middle and Raph playing more central behind Gelhardt with James and Harrison out wide.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Hopefully we can do better than last season.

Last season tbf Brighton were facing us when we had issues.

In the first game a 1-0 defeat we had Casilla in goal, a cb 2 of Ayling and Cooper and Struijk in dm, hardly a Premier league quality base.

And in the 2-0 defeat we had Tyler Roberts starting in midfield which definitely isn't Premier league level. Koch as a dm and Stuart Dallas as a winger replace Raph, Dallas a man who had been so underwhelming as a winger he hadn't played there for years.

No Raph and no Kp.

And first time a Championship level cb pairing with a joke goalie and a cb at dm.

Hopefully with a stronger base we can do better
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bit of a myth Brighton and Potter.

Always reading about what a great job they have done since promotion and how great he is.

2 seasons in a row they finished with 41 points and scraped by in 15th and 16th.

Isn't even like they overachieve, 15th most expensive squad last season and finished 16th.

Play some nice stuff tbf to them at times but definitely overhyped.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 pm Hopefully we can do better than last season.

Last season tbf Brighton were facing us when we had issues.

In the first game a 1-0 defeat we had Casilla in goal, a cb 2 of Ayling and Cooper and Struijk in dm, hardly a Premier league quality base.

And in the 2-0 defeat we had Tyler Roberts starting in midfield which definitely isn't Premier league level. Koch as a dm and Stuart Dallas as a winger replace Raph, Dallas a man who had been so underwhelming as a winger he hadn't played there for years.

No Raph and no Kp.

And first time a Championship level cb pairing with a joke goalie and a cb at dm.

Hopefully with a stronger base we can do better
Good excuses why we were so poor in those games.

I actually fancy us to win tomorrow
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Glad I'm not travelling to Brighton tomorrow.

Weather forecast horrendous!

Snow/gales here already :(
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t know whether it will be as windy down in Brighton this evening as it is here at the moment and forecast to be so all day, but if it is, the game will be a bit of a lottery anyway.

But yes Ell, I think that is probably our strongest available line up, 4 2 3 1 formation, although the jury is still out on Firpo for me. Cooper will play without a doubt so either Dallas or Struijk (preferably Dallas) at left back and Firpo on the bench.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:54 pm Bit of a myth Brighton and Potter.

Always reading about what a great job they have done since promotion and how great he is.

2 seasons in a row they finished with 41 points and scraped by in 15th and 16th.

Isn't even like they overachieve, 15th most expensive squad last season and finished 16th.

Play some nice stuff tbf to them at times but definitely overhyped.
Yeah, I'd agree with that Cjay.

If finishing 15/16th equals success then you must be starting with low expectations, i.e. let's see if we can stay up, ooh we stayed up and finished higher than 17th , party time :clapp:

As well as the missing players at ER against BHA last season, we were also playing on that Whack-a-Mole pitch, and as I remember it was pissing down, which probably suited them better than us.

BHA do have some decent players, but I remember Potter just accumulating CBs and last season, to give White a game he was regularly appearing at RWB :?

I don't recall Bielsa, the guru of square pegs in round holes and with a much shallower squad, shoe-horning White at RWB for most of the season he was with us.

I hate that f**king loathsome creature Maupay btw :evil:

We could really do with a good performance at BHA to keep the "momentum" going. Our performances have defo improved lately, but that needs to be converted into points as we're in the :poo: and need to get away from it asap.

I expect MB will go with:

Meslier
Dallas
Llorente
Cooper
Struijk
Phillips
Forshaw
Raphinha
Rodrigo
James
Gelhardt

Come on lads, let's have a win and get away from the bottom :supbo:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:06 pm Glad I'm not travelling to Brighton tomorrow.

Weather forecast horrendous!

Snow/gales here already :(
I did wonder if you were travelling to Brighton Leon. We're up in Wakey with my folks and were due to travel back to Suffolk today but decided last night to stay until tomorrow.
Best to stay home today up North if you don't have to travel anywhere
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Formation suggestions under the normal precedent of using the best positional players available does not equate to the methods employed by Bielsa. It is pretty much nailed on that Rodrigo and Raphinia will return. Therefore the likely casualties will be Klich and Gelhardt.
I am not convinced that Harrison and James are currently capable of playing any other role, than on the wings, effectively.
I think most fans would prefer to see Gelhardt retain his place and would prefer Rodrigo in for Klich and Raphinia replace either Harrison or James. The Forshaw / KP midfield duo is a must based on the clear improvement on midfield stability. Although maintaining that for 90 mins has been an issue.
Firpo often looks lost to me - playing the MB way requires a high degree of concentration, intelligence and situational awareness to make the right decisions at the right time. Those attributes are rare in young players and generally, if not inherent, only develop with experience and then not often to a particularly high degree. Fitness whilst also essential only forms part of the equation.
Having to stay switched on for 90 mins plus is not only physically but mentally tiring.
Substitutions are therefore key for us and having a stronger bench will improve our ability to maintain a strong display over 90 mins. We are starting to get key players back so I expect we will start to pick up points more regularly starting today.
I cannot see us losing this one and a win is certainly viable.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Is Potter and Brighton a myth ?

To keep Brighton in the EPL playing the way they do - which is entertaining possession based football is IMO very impressive. They will never attract high quality experienced players. Therefore with the means at his disposal he is doing a fantastic job. The development of young players is also top notch. He was instrumental in retaining BW when we offered 30 million. How many managers would have blinked under similar circumstances and not turned 30 into 50 within the space of a season.
He would be my preference for replacing MB when the time comes. Look at his record on the continent. The name of the club escapes me - but he is a very shrewd intelligent manager with a great philosophy.