Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: O'Leary vs Bielsa

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:11 pm BTW, Nigel Martyn was a very unlucky world class keeper kept out by Seaman, years before 2 class keepers in Shilton & Clemence alternated, which would have seen NM with more deserved caps than he actually got.
Fair comment MC, Nigel was a great goalie and should have got more caps for England. I don't think Seaman saved any penalties in the shoot outs v Germany in 96, and 98 v Argentina. Also got caught out by that fluke from Rapha's mate Ronaldinho in the QF v Brazil in 2002.

Would fancy DOL's team to beat the current side, but that DOL team cost a lot of :$$:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:17 pm I actually had worked out the cost of the O'Learu team before posting using an inflation calculator.

I have posted it now.

But the thing is football has moved on a lot.

I haven't worked out the total cost but id imagine the Bielsa one is more expensive
I don't understand your valuations CJ, ferdinand was sold for £31 million not bought, batty like kewell was home grown !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:23 pm I don't understand your valuations CJ, ferdinand was sold for £31 million not bought, batty like kewell was home grown !!
I've used an inflation calculator.

It takes the cost of the player in the year he was signed and inflates it to reflect the changes in values over the year.

So it takes £1mil in 1998 and inflates it to its modern equivalent for example
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

The O'Leary team would win but the Bielsa team (and manager) is infinitely more loveable........in fact, if I'm honest, aside from a few exceptions, I have very little real affection for the majority of that DOL side.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

A quick count and I think the Bielsa team is more expensive.

Haven't worked the Bielsa team out exactly but.

Raph-17mil
Llorente £18mil
Rodrigo-£30mil
James-£25mil
Firpo£13mil
Bamford-£7mil
Harrison £11mil
Meslier £6mil

That's £127mil by themselves
Signed

King Cjay

Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:34 pm A quick count and I think the Bielsa team is more expensive.

Haven't worked the Bielsa team out exactly but.

Raph-17mil
Llorente £18mil
Rodrigo-£30mil
James-£25mil
Firpo£13mil
Bamford-£7mil
Harrison £11mil
Meslier £6mil

That's £127mil by themselves
We're ignoring the 20 years of inflation then........😁
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:29 pm The O'Leary team would win but the Bielsa team (and manager) is infinitely more loveable........in fact, if I'm honest, aside from a few exceptions, I have very little real affection for the majority of that DOL side.
Our current squad is much more loveable.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Durly wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 pm We're ignoring the 20 years of inflation then........😁
Not at all :)

In the opening post I have already worked out the cost of the O'Leary team using an inflation calculator which has converted the fees to a 2021 equivalent.

Much more money in football now.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not much love for my childhood team :(

I will go against the grain then, i adored that O'Leary team.

For someone to young to remember Revie or Wilko the O'Leary years are as good as it got.

Great times.

:love:
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Revies Aces tops the lot by far for me
Followed by Wilkos Wonders
Bielsa' Beauties and Dollys Darlings neck & neck , if, Bielsa stays and we can challenge in europe then things might change (CL & Uefa semi was something special like) but, so is anyone who can drag us from the doldrums after 16 years.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I count 8 International in the Bielsa team... how many in the O'leary team?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:53 pm Not much love for my childhood team :(

I will go against the grain then, i adored that O'Leary team.

For someone to young to remember Revie or Wilko the O'Leary years are as good as it got.

Great times.

:love:
I loved them at the time but my love for them has not aged well. Out of the players mentioned, I still have a huge soft spot for Big Nige, Lucas, Dom and to a lesser extent Gary Kelly and Batts (although in the case of the latter, that's more for his first spell with us). The actions of many of the others still leaves a very bitter taste, sadly.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:31 pm I count 8 International in the Bielsa team... how many in the O'leary team?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
All.of them
Signed

King Cjay

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 pm Dolly without doubt for me, especially if I can transfer Rapha for Kewell.
I wouldn’t be so hasty mc.

Harry Kewell, at his best, imo was probably the most naturally gifted player we’ve ever produced - he had everything, fantastic ball control, fantastic dribbling skills, an unusual ability to do the unexpected, a great shot with either feet, combine all that with scintillating speed and he could have been one of, if not the best player in the world.

Unfortunately he was lumbered with a poor work ethic and terrible attitude which let him down badly. So yes, you’re probably right to take Raphinha!

Overall though I think O’Leary’s team takes it.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:46 pmAll.of them
At that particular time or later in their careers... Just asking
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

In pure footballing terms there is only Raphinha who I’d swap one for one.

DOL placed his faith in a couple of youngsters which I wish or current manager would, however, I prefer our style of play. DOL lost the plot quite soon into his tenure. Our league form became patchy and ultimately cost us a Champions League spot. Once he got the big time players in he couldn’t handle them.

Looking at that squad it was wasted. Imagine that level of player with MB at the helm.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The O'Leary team wins every time. That squad got us to a CL semi final.
Heartbreaking the way it all went tits up after that.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

O'Leary did well, but that squad had a few record breaking transfers, most expensive British teenager, most expensive British goalkeeper, most expensive British player (and world record for a defender) etc. And while he brought through youngsters, and there were some great memories, ultimately his legacy was to be part of the group that broke the club chasing the dream of throwing huge sums at rising what...6 or 7 places up the table? I fully appreciate Ridsdale was the central player in that, but O'Leary was not blameless. And then you have the shadow cast by Bowyer, Woodgate, the book etc. Frankly, given what happened afterwards, I wish that era never happened.

Bielsa has transformed players and the club in a far more positive way.

O'Leary's side wins. But a 4th or 5th placed Premier League side with an eye watering wage bill should always beat a team that is 18 months out of the Championship and keeps a much tighter rein on wages. The person who enjoyed the O'Leary era most of all must be Seth Johnson
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 pm I've used an inflation calculator.

It takes the cost of the player in the year he was signed and inflates it to reflect the changes in values over the year.

So it takes £1mil in 1998 and inflates it to its modern equivalent for example
Trouble is Football inflation far excedes inflation in that period.
Players are about 4 to 5 times more expensive today (400 to 500%}
Hence a £10mill player in 1998 would be just under £50mill in today's market.

Eg, We paid 18mill for Ferdinand following a world cup performance, Scum played 80mill fot their England CB both records for a defender.
Last edited by whiteroseboy on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Mountain wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 am O'Leary did well, but that squad had a few record breaking transfers, most expensive British teenager, most expensive British goalkeeper, most expensive British player (and world record for a defender) etc. And while he brought through youngsters, and there were some great memories, ultimately his legacy was to be part of the group that broke the club chasing the dream of throwing huge sums at rising what...6 or 7 places up the table? I fully appreciate Ridsdale was the central player in that, but O'Leary was not blameless. And then you have the shadow cast by Bowyer, Woodgate, the book etc. Frankly, given what happened afterwards, I wish that era never happened.

Bielsa has transformed players and the club in a far more positive way.

O'Leary's side wins. But a 4th or 5th placed Premier League side with an eye watering wage bill should always beat a team that is 18 months out of the Championship and keeps a much tighter rein on wages. The person who enjoyed the O'Leary era most of all must be Seth Johnson
Was going to write something similar DOL inheritated a team that were 5th the season before.
He also inheritated one of the best youth teams in the country all about to break through.
He also was at the Club that were the biggest spenders. We all know that cost 17 years.

MB inherited a team of journeymen struggling in the Championship
MB inherited a youth set up with the U23's playing in the 3rd tier of their age group. Other teams weren't doing that well either.
Not sure about this season but weren't we 19th in last season spending stakes (signings + wage bills).

Its very difficult to fail when you are among the big spenders with the power to buy all your rivals best players (although Olly had a good stab at failure). Sadly the more I think about the DOL time we became one of those clubs (or tried to be) and think he got very lucky that a CL semi is on his CV as it had more to do with what he inherited and the spending power he was wrongly given than his ability as a manager.

MB's success is far greater IMHO he's taken the whole club forward and when he does eventually say goodbye its critical we get the right man. That person will inherit a very good situation.