MB Pre Wet Spam

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

MB Pre Wet Spam

Post by Cjay »

Bielsa's here - lessons from last Sunday?

It's a fight that is deserved and one they are taking forward. A team that has variants for each position. They have adapted to the absences they have had. They are a team with power offensively. With a very solid structure.

Bamford? Injuries?

No he has not had a setback. He's still evolving. His recovery still hasn't been finalised.

Drameh?

No, I did not think he needed to pay games elsewhere. He was a player who was very necessary with all of the absences we have. He preferred to go and play outside of Leeds. In a situation with opportunities for youngsters has increased clearly, in this case, Drameh would prefer to experiment outside our team. I consider that position valid and I do not think it makes sense to oppose him. What I imagined as a great opportunity, he imagined it in a different way. It's more important what he thinks than what I think. I don't think it's convenient to impopse in a situation where a player does or does not want to belong.

Disappointing on Drameh?

No, disappointing, no. Having said that, a lot of the young players who have accompanied the first team have chosen to go elsewhere. Evidently, what I have proposed to them is not what they desire. So I do not criticise it, I don’t condemn it. It doesn’t disappoint me. Clearly, I calculated things wrongly because what I consider a great opportunity, there are very few or no teams with youngsters like us in the PL. Those who are benefiting from that position, they prefer to abandon the club looking for another type of competition. Evidently, what I imagined as a great chance, they don’t. All of that in football at the moment is impossible to decipher. The reasons taken that are made, is the footballers who have the least opinions and the managers have the most [?]. Perhaps I overvalue you have a 20-man squad in the best league in the world.

Anyone coming back from injury?

It’s probably Pascal, Rodrigo and Bamford are options to return.

How do you cope with Antonio?

We have to see how the [?]. The rules as they are applied to every player without distinction. When a striker makes a movement, a defender away normally it’s not a foul. When a defender moves a striker away using their arms, it is a foul. It’s clear, even though the rules involves all the players, in practice, I’m, not saying it’s bad or good, I’m saying this is what happens. The same action, if a defender does it, it’s a foul, but if it’s the opposite way around it;’s not a foul. In the game against Burnley there was a lot of actions of this type. Why do I describe this? To tell how it is in reality. It’s not bad and it’s not good. Simply, we have to learn to adapt to a reality we can see clearly. A lot of actions you have to learn how to value in practise. In the set-pieces for example, an opponent obstructs the movement of a defender for them to lose their marker. An infinite amount of those actions and those actions are not sanctioned. If that same thing happens outside the box, if a player puts himself in the way it’s called a foul. The same thing happens when you put yourself in the way of the goalkeeper where he wants to go.

How pleased with the team's character?

Very happy. When Bamford was injured against Newcastle, the injury was towards the end of the game. I asked Bamford to finish what was left of the game because we needed him and he did so. He collaborated with the team. Perhaps, me asking him that aggravated his injury. Rodrigo played for a long time with a knock which forced him to stop. Dallas is a player who played every week with something that would rule another player out. Ayling the same. He always has problems in his knee he has to overcome. After there's injuries like Gelhardt where the ligament is hurt it cannot be played on. The same with Greenwood, if the joint in the knee is damaged you cannot play. Shackleton is one where if the tendon is hurt you cannot play. Cooper and Phillips with the structure of the fibre, normally all the players have shown great character. All the players have shortened their time of recovery. There's also a dosage of luck in this. For example, Bamford's injury is caused by an uncoordinated movement when he scored that goal. In the celebration, he aggravates that small injury into something important. The excess of character is what's jeopardised us.

How bright is Leeds' future with the youngsters coming through?

The future depends on them taking advantage of the opportunities they receive. When they have opportunities they have to show they are at the level needed. For example, Pascal made himself a PL player by taking advantage of his opportunity. The time we spend preparing the young players is very, very big. It's not only those directly with the under-23s, they do an admirable job. They are here all day, but all the tech staff in the first team. Every game they played, everything that happens with the players. Evidently, there's an error in how we interpret our work. If not, the players wouldn't leave. Grateful when they leave for what's been done for them.

Firpo's progress?

He's had interruptions, he hasn't been able to have continuity. It's clear the conditions he has are very, very important. It's true he has not expressed all of his potential yet, but I see him improving constantly. He's a player with very important traits.

Can you rely on a player who leaves when they come back?

When a player wants to leave, there's no point trying to keep them. What's necessary is he manifests it and if he manifests it, the part I have to play is finished. After, the club wants to let go the player or not. In what conditions he leaves, my position is if he wants to leave I am, not going to oppose it. I apply that to any player who wants to leave. Any player who says they do not want to continue, they can count on me for him to leave, but I am not the only one who decides. They have contracts and commitments with the club. I only limit myself to say why we should not keep them, which is the player does not want to be here. When a player doesn't want to be here, it;'s better to understand him. Without forgetting professional football and everything done here is retributed, If it's retiributed then we have rights and obligations. These things are things you guys know to perfection. Part of professional football and it's not wrong

Managing longer here than anywhere else brought more joy for you?

For me, the time here is a time of growth. I have learned the culture of English football. That alone justifies any experience, on another side I integrated myself to a club like this one. Nobody goes through here without a signal. A city, a club, fans and support, that marks someone. Also competing in the first league in the world and what that signifies. All of this, I have said it many times. Sometimes you have the risk of sounding like a demagogue.

Young players' attitude towards demanding minutes - that reflected with senior players and your recruitment checks?

Young players want to come to Leeds because they see options. There's 20 players on the field every week. If you add the minutes of the young players each player has in 20-man squads, and see if any have half the minutes of those at Leeds. Of course, if we had not had those 10 injuries, that amount would have been a lot lower, but we had 10 injuries, there were moments and opportunities for everyone.

If you're in the 20 and playing once a week, that competition will be so big, so marked. It's described as murderball. A footballer in development says this is no good for me, evidently there's an error in the calculation for those who project this, because if not they would all want to participate. The father of this idea is Victor Orta. It was a very, very good idea. Repercussions on the economy of the club in a very good way. The value of Pascal, Gelhardt or anyone that arrived, justified we worked for so much. The work they do to pick the players, convince them to come with the under-23s is enormous

How encouraged by Raphinha contract talks?

It's a great decision. Raphinha's the best player in the team in all the senses. Physically he's the best, technically he's at the level of the best, his interpretation of the game is very wise. Within the group of such a powerful nation as Brazil, he shines in the PL and he has the attention of all the big clubs in the world. All of those things are something you guys know as well. Nothing new. As a result, the decision of the club can only be valued.

How do you adapt training with so many injuries?

In football, there's two types of injuries. The ones where you cannot do nothing to avoid them and the ones that have to do with an excess of work or lack of rest. The training, of course, it reproduces the competition, if not it's very difficult tio prepare a team. We are still the team that runs the most in the PL, counting on half as many players. That has some value. What would seem like common sense, so few of them why are you not moderated in training. Greenwood falls on top of Gelhardt and injures him. Nothing to do with the type of activity. Cresswell has someone on top of him and injures his shoulder. Summerville clashes with one of his teammates and has his clavicle hurt.

With Cody's departure do you feel you're comfortable with your options in that position? Do you need extra bodies there?

Of course with a player leaving it's one alternative less. I in particular and the club, we look after the spot that a player forms a part of the project. We make a big effort in the work for each of the players. We want cycles to accomplish that but like I said XXXXXX what we do for each player to triumph rather than want to leave. When a young player is receiving opportunities wants to leave, what other reading do I have to make than we've made a mistake. That we've taken a chance on a player, not Cody in particular, that prefers not to finish a cycle, that has an objective to become an elite player.

Adam Forshaw hopes to sign a new contract shortly, how pleased would you be to see that happen given what he's been up to so far?

Very difficult for me to refer myself to Forshaw, in this moment where he's given such a valuable response. Because I didn't know Forshaw was going to be the player he was once before. I don't want it to seem like the process Forshaw went through wasn't with my support. He did it by himself with all the support the club gave him which was a big support but I didn't participate in his success, I only accompanied him. And when the moment came I gave the responses he deserved to play, but in the important part of those two years I wasn't there with him so I don't want to link myself too much to him because I don't want to impose on his success. The club will make a very convenient decision if they extend Forshaw because every week he's showing he's a player of a very good level.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MB Pre Wet Spam

Post by Cjay »

Bamford hasnt finished recovery but is then potentially back, bit contradictory but hey ho.

Rodrido and Struijk potentially back.

Talked about Drameh and how Drameh made the decision to leave. Acknowledged that many have made a similar choice and maybe the u23 pathway isnt as good as they believe

Talked about Antonio and lessons learned last weekend.

Admitted to playing multiple players when injured and he probably shouldn't and rushing players back (really weird admission that but entirely expected, ive said as much before, it was obvious)

Talked a bit about recruitment and training methods.

Praised Raph and called him our best player.

And praised Forshaw
Signed

King Cjay

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

so pascal will be back, might might see rodrigo and bamford. so same team as fa cup then square pegs into round holes.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Charles Darwin's back in da house "The evolution of the injuries is not progressing" :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 pm so pascal will be back, might might see rodrigo and bamford. so same team as fa cup then square pegs into round holes.
Marcelo's favourite episode of Some Mothers Do Ave Em :lol:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Could really do with Struijk back
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 pm Could really do with Struijk back
Indeed Adam.

Big physical & important defender for us.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I love Pascal :love:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

MB also spoke to Sky Sports

Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of the Super Sunday trip to West Ham, Bielsa said: "There are two messages that I've received - why don't we buy players to solve those absences and why is the squad so small?

There's no way to make a squad bigger if the five centre-forwards are injured at the same time. The same if there are four players injured of the six players who resolved their problem in one position. So there's not an error in the planning, you can't plan for something so unusual.

They ask 'why don't we buy a centre-back or a centre-forward?', and there's the engineering economically of how to compete in this league. We brought in Gelhardt, Roberts, Greenwood - then at a low level of investment - but we also bought Rodrigo and Bamford so you've mortgaged a future if you buy good players at their place.

"I Imagine if we had more players than we do, one little space there would be for the development of the youngsters. You also have to interpret the feelings of those in the public.

"When Roberts was injured and Gelhardt came on, Tyler had played the first half as one of the best he had played at Leeds at a level and intensity that was very high. He was in conditions to finish the game two or three times and he didn't get it, like so many players like Bamford, who went through with missing goals until he scored 17 in 20 games in the Premier League.

So Tyler played that first half and it filled me with hope, but when he came off and Gelhardt came on, the stadium exploded. The influence of the fans multiplied due to him coming on. Gelhardt filled the fans with hope.

"Also in this moment when it's difficult to not deserve criticism, it's natural to be criticised and we deserve to be criticised, I take the advantage to talk about things that influence our decisions.

"I describe it by saying those things could have been avoided. But there are sometimes things that are linked to luck."
Signed

King Cjay

Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Would be great to see Bamford, Rodrigo, and Struijk back in the frame. However, they will be ring-rusty after so long out, so we shouldn't expect too much from them if they don't shine in this game. Expect if they are able to play that all three (maybe with the exception of Struijk) will see limited minutes and James to start up front.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

In English :
Injuries are nothing to do with my training methods.
Pascal , Rodrigo & Bamford may well be in the squad.
Drameh is a little s**t wo will never lake again for LU as long as I'm in charge.
Raphina is head & shoulders above the rest, both technically & physically, not to mention, he knows what the net looks like.
I wanted to spend in access of £30 million on another winger, but the other 2 talked me into giving forshaw a chance, I had nowt to do with his recuperation as I thought he was just a cleaner for 2 years, the rest is out of my hands.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Despite what Bielsa says, he obviously wasn't at all happy the Drameh has gone out on loan.
Sounds to me that young Cody was a bit disgruntled with things.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I have to say I am deeply concerned about our goalscoring.

Nothing about Rodrigo or Roberts time here suggests they would score enough goals should Bamford remain injured for an extended period again.

Gelhardt has done exceptionally well but it's far to much pressure for him to burden.

I take the point MB is trying to make defending Roberts by using Bamford as an example but unfortunately it doesn't stack up to scrutiny.

Yes Bamford missed chances, he has always done that and always will, he isn't a natural finisher imo. But he has proven himself to be effective to a degree.

But by 23 he had scored twice the goals Roberts has and been named Championship Plauer of the year. The two aren't comparable.

Ultimately MB prefers the collective over the individual but imo you can't mess about when it comes to goals and we have 1 semi reliable forward and a kid, it isn't enough
Signed

King Cjay

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:49 pm Marcelo's favourite episode of Some Mothers Do Ave Em :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXp-AvTfhI
funny as hell that, oh by the way we have a new signing. Forshaw has just signed a new contract FFS
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm In English :
Drameh is a little s**t wo will never lake again for LU as long as I'm in charge.
Raphina is head & shoulders above the rest, both technically & physically, not to mention, he knows what the net looks like.
I wanted to spend in access of £30 million on another winger, but the other 2 talked me into giving forshaw a chance, I had nowt to do with his recuperation as I thought he was just a cleaner for 2 years, the rest is out of my hands.
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:49 pm Marcelo's favourite episode of Some Mothers Do Ave Em :lol:
Brilliant sketch, James
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:05 pm funny as hell that, oh by the way we have a new signing. Forshaw has just signed a new contract FFS
Aye it's a classic that. Forgive me for slightly underwhelmed that Forshaw has a new contract :roll:

I've heard that Klich may be offered one too.

Not excited with that news,
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:33 pm Despite what Bielsa says, he obviously wasn't at all happy the Drameh has gone out on loan.
Sounds to me that young Cody was a bit disgruntled with things.
Cody probably sees Ayling or Dallas in front of him, he needed to show more patience & knuckle down learning his football under Bielsa.

Seems like he's shown total respect to Marcelo, imo!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm Brilliant sketch, James
Comic genius Michael Crawford, still makes me laugh that series :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm In English :
Classic mate :lol: