The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 20th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

During a recent interview, Marcelo Bielsa proudly gushed over Raphinha, insisting the Brazilian maestro was physically and technically the best player at Elland Road, and his talents have attracted the best clubs in the World. These encomiastical comments come as the Leeds Utd hierarchy lock horns with Raphinha's agent Deco, about tying their prized asset down to new and improved terms.

Currently, the 25yo has 18 months left on his contract. Leeds want to be in a position of power if and when the time comes to part with their superstar winger. If they can persuade Raphinha to commit, and he has a good World Cup this December, his valuation could go through the roof. According to Bielsa...

I think it's a great decision. Raphinha is the best player in the team in all the senses, physically he's the best, technically he's at the level of the best and the interpretation he has of the game is very good, very wise. He is within the group of such a powerful nation of Brazil, he shines in the Premier League and he has the attention of all the big clubs in the world. All of those things is something you guys (journalists) know just as much as me, nothing I'm saying is new. As a result, the decision of the club can only be valued.

Phil Hay, The Athletic's Leeds writer, says contract talks have been progressing for several weeks, and both parties are confident that a deal can be reached.

Could JKA dispute affect any Aaronson deal

Leeds pursuit of USA International midfielder Brenden Aaronson could be hampered by the ongoing dispute with RB Leipzig, over former player Jean Kevin Augustin. The German outfit allege Leeds were under obligation to buy the former French U21 forward, though Leeds are vehemently fighting these allegations. The matter is set to be decided at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in March. Augustine currently plays in the Championnat National 2 (the 4th level of French football) with Nantes II, playing four times in the last nine months.

RB Leipzig are the sister club of Red Bull Salzburg. Both are owned under the Red Bull umbrella. Whilst Leeds are confident that their spat with Leipzig will not affect their relationship with the Austrian giants, Aaronson has been linked with a host of European clubs, all desperate for his signature.

Leeds linked to 6m teen sensation

According to the Daily Mail, Leeds have been strongly linked with Aberdeen's teenage sensation Calvin Ramsay. The young right back has forced his way into the Dons starting line up this season, creating quite a stir from the Premier League. Scouts from Leeds, Leicester, Manchester United, Southampton and Spurs all watched the 18yo in action on Tuesday night against Rangers.

Aberdeen value Ramsay at 6m, and have also indicated that they would want to take their protégé back on loan. Leeds have continually to be linked with various right backs recently. Whilst Leeds may be looking for a long term successor for Ayling, many assumed the role would be inherited by Cody Drameh, who has recently gone out on loan to Cardiff, against the wishes of Leeds Utd.

billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

Post by billysboots »

I hope he signs a new deal but I suppose this doesn’t stop Liverpool and Barcelona etc making a bid that the player and his agent will find attractive.
There Is Only One United.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 20th January) - Bielsa gushes over Raphinha as contract talks continue

Post by Chilli D »

Getting Raphinha to sign a new deal would be massive. Let's hope they get it done. There are very few players anywhere in the PL with his ability.

Talking of deals, whatever possessed us to agree to the JKA deal is beyond me.
The fact that he is playing in the fourth level of French football says everything you need to know about him.
I still don't think we will lose the court case.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Raphinha is our player & no other club is having him :-D
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote:Raphinha is our player & no other club is having him :-D
Money talks though 64 although we will be in a strong position if he signs a new deal with us.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 am Getting Raphinha to sign a new deal would be massive. Let's hope they get it done. There are very few players anywhere in the PL with his ability.

The fact that he is playing in the fourth level of French football says everything you need to know about him.
That's hindsight, lets not forget this is a player said to be one of the top young players in Europe according to none less than Lionel Messi...

One thing no one can scout is the mental side of the game
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

If we can resign Raphinha, it'll be the best thing since we resigned Bielsa.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 am If we can resign Raphinha, it'll be the best thing since we resigned Bielsa.
If they both re-sign rather than resign, I will be happier H ;-)
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Azkal wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:42 am If they both re-sign rather than resign, I will be happier H ;-)
:)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 am Getting Raphinha to sign a new deal would be massive. Let's hope they get it done. There are very few players anywhere in the PL with his ability.

Why did we sign JKA?

Here's why - the MoT forum loved him
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am Why did we sign JKA?

So we signed him because some MOT posters loved him? I didn't realise this forum had so much clout when it comes to club signings.

And it's not so much who we signed as the deal we allegedly agreed.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think the criteria really boiled down to who could we sign that was of a decent pedrigree ability and goals wise but that we could sign for no initial transfer fee. I doubt there were many otpions. Like I posted elsewhere the deal we agreed for JKA was the same deal (loan but obligated to buy if we got promoted by a certain date) that we tried to do with Che Adams, Jarred Bowen and the season before with Dan James.

I doubt anyone could have foreseen it being such a disaster.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 pm I think the criteria really boiled down to who could we sign that was of a decent pedrigree ability and goals wise but that we could sign for no initial transfer fee. I doubt there were many otpions. Like I posted elsewhere the deal we agreed for JKA was the same deal (loan but obligated to buy if we got promoted by a certain date) that we tried to do with Che Adams, Jarred Bowen and the season before with Dan James.

I doubt anyone could have foreseen it being such a disaster.
Yes, I agree our options were severely limited but his publicised issues with his fitness and attitude should have raised enough red flags not to agree to buy him if we got promoted. The worst case scenario actually happened where Leipzig were forcing us to buy him despite him having virtually zero contribution to our promotion.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

But even then some of us expressed concerns about his reputation.

We should never have signed a player with his reputation.

And it isn't the job of the forum posters to decide whether a player is a good fit and has the right attitude, that is Orta and he got this totally wrong.

No excuse for that.

Also poor planning played a part, chased Che Adams for over a month despite Southampton for a good few weeks having told us no sod off stop calling.

We got desperate because we didn't have a viable backup in place and ended up having to agree to anything.

It was a masterclass in ineptitude.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Raphinha

It would be nice if he signs a new deal, it atleast gives us some stability. What worries me is as is common what release clause we agree to? I fully expect one to be involved and if its less than £100mil then I'd be very disappointed. A release clause should be a dream amount of cash, something that is really hard to activate.

Brenden Aaronson

I would be very surprised if it doesn't.

As I said we have a naivety about us as a club (Benrahma for £12mil) and we have passed off the Red Bull franchise and whilst technically we will be dealing with different people, we really won't be.

Money talks but I don't get a good feeling about this deal.

Also it feels like it could end up as a well atleast we tried thing to appease the fans.

We have no alternative target apparently which again screams of poor planning.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

If Salzburg are looking to hold off on selling Aaronson till after the WC as his value will rise immeasurably and they'll be able to cash in, why would Leeds entertain selling Rapha in the meantime?
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Its one you wish Victor Orta didn't get across the line. He usually screws up the one's you want to happen , problematic signings........no problem , he gets the shitty one's done .
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Raphinha Contract - brilliant news if progressing well. Even though there may be a transfer release clause, it could have an effective from date starting in 2023 as I don’t think it’s in Raphinha’s best interest to move and establish himself at another club before the World Cup.

Aaronson - Salzburg are a selling club and the Austrian League would never be a final destination for a player destined to play at the best league. Therefore this could be them holding out for a few more quid. I think this one may get done at some point before the window shuts. JKA deal could be the stumbling block but doesn’t look like there is a bidding war for him yet and business for RB is business. They will just want to make sure they are not cutting Leeds a discount and asking for a watertight deal that Leeds won’t be able to bail out on.

Raskin - I still think we need another highly touted MF to ply his trade in U23, and be ready with Bate to replace Rodrigo and Klich within 2 years. Raskin could be the possible player to fill that spot.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

It’s not anyone on this forum’s job to have in-depth knowledge of footballers, which would include history of injuries, reputation as well as footballing ability and potential, but it is Victor Orta’s job and he gets very well paid for it. There is no two ways about it that this deal was an unmitigated disaster and that the responsibility lies fairly and squarely at Victor Orta’s door.

There is no way we are going to get away Scot free for this, even if we don’t have to pay the transfer fee (and I think the balance appears to be in their favour) it will still have cost us dearly in both time, reputation and probably court costs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:25 pm It’s not anyone on this forum’s job to have in-depth knowledge of footballers, which would include history of injuries, reputation as well as footballing ability and potential, but it is Victor Orta’s job and he gets very well paid for it. There is no two ways about it that this deal was an unmitigated disaster and that the responsibility lies fairly and squarely at Victor Orta’s door.

There is no way we are going to get away Scot free for this, even if we don’t have to pay the transfer fee (and I think the balance appears to be in their favour) it will still have cost us dearly in both time, reputation and probably court costs.
So we can assume all posts on the transfer thread are uninformed nonsense? Also s**t happens when buying players, you're using hindsight to condemn Orta who has generally done great work plus Bielsa would have approved the signing, may even been high up his list. JKA was very highly rated before he came here.

Orta is batting around .750 and that's very decent.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"