Summer 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: January 2022 transfer speculation and squad discussion

Post by VinnysTattoo »

After two consecutive wins for the first time this season do the club think that the need for reinforcements has passed?

It almost seems Radz and Orta are flicking a double headed coin with heads that we don’t need anyone. Still a massive gamble if we don’t reinforce. The injury crisis has not passed and based on recent months it might conceivably get worse.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm I think beating Burnley made the club think they could gamble.

It's plainly clear now that the club had no plan in place and no targets lined up and down the line.

So did beating Burnley on the 2nd make them think they would be OK?

I am shocked not to have a midfielder in for Newcastle, I am more shocked that we seem to be no further forward than we were on January 1st.

The lack of forward planning this January has been so poor.

Look at other clubs, Villa, Newcastle, Everton, Watford, Wolves.

If you have problems in your squad then you should rectify them, we are seemingly incapable of signing a midfielder? It's been 3.5 transfer windows now.
I think we probably saw that we didn't actually have many matches this month and as such could take our time a little and hope that the preferred signing(s) became available than simply panic buying someone simply because they were available. A loss to Burnley may well have accelerated the need to get someone in. I would have thought there would be a lot of players that might have been on our list but that the selling club simply aren't interested at selling until summer.

I would still expect us to sign a player towards the end of the window as selling clubs might decide to cash in or teams having played a few more matches might see themselves in a position where they may as well sell their player as they won't win a title, qulaify for europe, get into a promotion place or be dragged into a relegation battle.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:38 pm I think we probably saw that we didn't actually have many matches this month and as such could take our time a little and hope that the preferred signing(s) became available than simply panic buying someone simply because they were available. A loss to Burnley may well have accelerated the need to get someone in. I would have thought there would be a lot of players that might have been on our list but that the selling club simply aren't interested at selling until summer.

I would still expect us to sign a player towards the end of the window as selling clubs might decide to cash in or teams having played a few more matches might see themselves in a position where they may as well sell their player as they won't win a title, qulaify for europe, get into a promotion place or be dragged into a relegation battle.
The club knew the stance, they knew and still do, that we are in a precarious position, they are gambling imho, a gamble I expect to pay off, but it isn't good for the future.
If, we had anyone coming in, they would be here by now, not waiting to see what scraps we can scrape off the transfer merry-go-round table.
The club, including manager, obviously think we don't even need strengthening , MB loves a small squad, the other 2 , rely on him working his magic.
Also, the worry for me long term is this : players obviously after money, look to see where they can fit into another club, this is a massive sticking point at ER, would said players be worried about not getting game time !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It's a tricky one as we saw in the January transfer window when we got promoted. We had been trying to get Che Adams on a loan to buy deal, then tried the same with Jared Bowen. With time running out we got JKA with his club happy to go for the same loan to buy deal that we had tried with Adams and Bowen (and the same loan to buy deal that we had tried with Dan James the previous season).

So if it's a case of not getting a target that is high on the list but instead going for someone simply as they are available then I think the club are better to keep the money and get somebody they really want in the summer. And it's all very well saying spend it on someone that is okay but does that then become wasted money on a player we don't need when a prefered option then becomes avaialble or we end up not getting the player we really want as we have spent it on the other player.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Phil Hay
@PhilHay_
Exc: From
@TheAthletic
and
@samstejskal
- Leeds United have tabled a formal bid for RB Salzburg midfielder Brenden Aaronson. Believed to be in the region of £15m. Salzburg valuation higher than that but Leeds persisting with their interest.

Would be a great signing this if we can pull it out.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 pm Phil Hay
@PhilHay_
@TheAthletic
and
@samstejskal
- Leeds United have tabled a formal bid for RB Salzburg midfielder Brenden Aaronson. Believed to be in the region of £15m. Salzburg valuation higher than that but Leeds persisting with their interest.

It’s on a few threads atm.
If true, we’ll probably stay with that bid and lose out to another club who bids £16m.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:39 pm Phil Hay
@PhilHay_
@TheAthletic
and
@samstejskal

Please please please!

He would be the perfect Saiz replacement.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

There’s an excellent earlier article about Aaronson’s background and progression to Salzburg in The Athletic. He appears to be an ideal addition for us. His work rate, fitness levels and pressing ability are highlighted as some of his key attributes.

Hopefully we get this deal over the line, but we’ve been here before so I wouldn’t be celebrating just yet.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Was just reviewing the current squad in the match day thread, and if we could consider everyone fit, with the emergence of Gelhardt, Hjelde, and Cresswell, we have a very strong squad. I think we're only three, maybe four positions away from a squad that could challenge for top 6 if we did not suffer injuries like this year. Those positions being (and understanding that Bielsa likes players to be multi-positional, so this is the primary position):

Backup RB (to become primary in next two years)
Backup GK with experience (maybe the loan this year will give Caprile the experience we need?)
Box to Box CM
Additional attacking midfielder

This is based on my view of the first team squad being (not in order of preference):

GK's:
Meslier, A.N.Other, Klaesson (or Caprile if he comes back).

CB's
Cooper, Struijk, Llorente, Koch, Cresswell, Hjelde

FB's:
Ayling, Firpo, Hjelde, Dallas, Struijk A.N.Other
(no way is Drameh coming back whilst MB is here)

DM's:
Phillips, Struijk, Koch, Forshaw

CM's:
Forshaw, Phillips, Dallas, Klich, Bate, A.N.Other

AM's:
Roberts, Rodrigo, Gelhardt, Klich, A.N.Other, Raphinha?

Wingers:
Raphinha, James, Harrison, Summerville, (possibly Gray, with his meteoric progress or Miller)

Strikers:
Bamford, Rodrigo, Roberts, Gelhardt, James?

This though would mean MB would need to increase his squad size to 23 players minimum from the current 20.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm Was just reviewing the current squad in the match day thread, and if we could consider everyone fit, with the emergence of Gelhardt, Hjelde, and Cresswell, we have a very strong squad. I think we're only three, maybe four positions away from a squad that could challenge for top 6 if we did not suffer injuries like this year. Those positions being (and understanding that Bielsa likes players to be multi-positional, so this is the primary position):

Backup GK with experience (maybe the loan this year will give Caprile the experience we need?)
Box to Box CM

This is based on my view of the first team squad being (not in order of preference):

GK's:

CB's

FB's:

DM's:

CM's:

AM's:

Wingers:
Raphinha, James, Harrison, Summerville, (possibly Gray, with his meteoric progress or Miller)

Strikers:

This though would mean MB would need to increase his squad size to 23 players minimum from the current 20.

Been saying it for a while that the squad is fine

Still think Roberts best position is the 8 and I could see Kalvin there as well if Koch or Struijk keep improving.. It's a squad loaded with talent, getting deeper by the second and it's the way we should go promoting from within. Orta has been red hot on bringing young talent to the club in tandem with Bielsa. It is already paying dividends. The bottom three would kill for the likes of Miller/McGurk and Dean who could do a job for them, especially Miller

I would like a full back or two, Shackleton is ultimately a CMF imo, there's nothing behind Firpo really and we shoe horn in Dallas who's very good there but then he's not playing CMF, or Struijk/Hjelde both of whom are more adept as a traditional FB not an overlapping wing back Bielsa likes. Behind Ayling it's also a bit baron atm

If we do go AMF to appease the "we haven't replaced Saiz "(slightly over rated and never did it in the prem)or Pablo (who was a better winger anyway) group, he'd need to be a lot better than we have and game day ready or no point. Still think there's a place for Bogusz at some point
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:44 pm Been saying it for a while that the squad is fine

Still think Roberts best position is the 8 and I could see Kalvin there as well if Koch or Struijk keep improving.. It's a squad loaded with talent, getting deeper by the second and it's the way we should go promoting from within. Orta has been red hot on bringing young talent to the club in tandem with Bielsa. It is already paying dividends. The bottom three would kill for the likes of Miller/McGurk and Dean who could do a job for them, especially Miller

I would like a full back or two, Shackleton is ultimately a CMF imo, there's nothing behind Firpo really and we shoe horn in Dallas who's very good there but then he's not playing CMF, or Struijk/Hjelde both of whom are more adept as a traditional FB not an overlapping wing back Bielsa likes. Behind Ayling it's also a bit baron atm

If we do go AMF to appease the "we haven't replaced Saiz "(slightly over rated and never did it in the prem)or Pablo (who was a better winger anyway) group, he'd need to be a lot better than we have and game day ready or no point. Still think there's a place for Bogusz at some point
Totally forgot about Shackleton Faaip! Additional strength there. Also agree that I'd like to see if Bogusz can finally cut the mustard and fulfill the promise that he has. I really wish Klich was 25 years old as he would be brilliant with extra years under Bielsa and with more miles left in his legs. He would be the ideal attacking midfielder for the long term future.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm Was just reviewing the current squad in the match day thread, and if we could consider everyone fit, with the emergence of Gelhardt, Hjelde, and Cresswell, we have a very strong squad. I think we're only three, maybe four positions away from a squad that could challenge for top 6 if we did not suffer injuries like this year. Those positions being (and understanding that Bielsa likes players to be multi-positional, so this is the primary position):

Box to Box CM

GK's:

CB's

FB's:

DM's:

CM's:

AM's:

Wingers:

Strikers:

I like what is there, but, this is all based on one person, Bielsa, what happens if he leaves !!!
A lot of the 1st 15 will disappear under a new manager, also, I have seen nothing in roberts, he's only with us through Bielsa keeping faith.
If, Bielsa stays another 4 seasons and brings in a few additions, then, we have a good squad, playing Bielsa style football, if not !!??
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

21st of Jan and still no new 1st team signings

Post by pjm2019 »

Once again we are in the last 10 days of a transfer window and still no new players and the ones we read about as the most likely for the club to make an offer the clubs do not want to sell. Yet there are players which would fit the team and be in the 1st team squad that we do not seem to want to make such an offer.

We need a new midfielder NOW
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 21st of Jan and still no new 1st team signings

Post by 1964white »

The major transfer activity will happen in the summer.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Re: 21st of Jan and still no new 1st team signings

Post by Clacton White »

It's a Victor Orta transfer window . I wish Newcastle would hurry and take him .
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ek-3537863

That's it Angus Kinnear, spin and talk crap.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ek-3537863

That's it Angus Kinnear, spin and talk crap.
That's all he's good for, just another lackey.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

As usual, spend all window fixated one player and end up with no one.