Leeds Utd v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Rodrigo starts, Joffy on the bench

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Rodrigo starts, Joffy on the bench

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 22nd January 2022 3:00pm | Elland Road

Newcastle United are the visitors to Elland Road on Saturday as Leeds go in search of three back to back victory for the first time this season. They will also be looking to win back to back home games against Newcastle for the first time since 1972. The Whites are unbeaten in the league this year, and have risen to 15th place in the top flight, nine points clear of safety. Most of the pressure will be on Newcastle at the weekend; a win against the Whites could elevate them above Watford if they lose against Norwich City on Friday night.

Marcelo Bielsa's issues up front may be easing. Rodrigo got half an hour under his belt against West Ham last weekend and will start in there No.10 role whilst Roberts & Gelhardt make the bench. Dan James will lead the line once more. It's not all good news though, Patrick Bamford's road to recovery has once again been hampered after it was disclosed that the 28 year old has picked up a fresh foot injury. Junior Firpo and Adam Forshaw will also miss Saturday's action. Both picked up hamstring injuries in the first half of the 3-2 win at the London Stadium last weekend.

Diego Llorente will return to the starting line up following his suspension, and is set to partner Pascal Struijk in the centre of defence, with Robin Koch taking over Forshaw's responsibilities as defensive midfielder. Bielsa has opted to start Stuart Dallas at left back with Leo Hjelde dropping to the bench. Liam Cooper, Kalvin Phillips and Charlie Cresswell are all long term absentees for the Whites.

New signing Chris Wood looks certain to face his old club. The 31 year old New Zealand International is likely to team up with Ryan Fraser and Allan Saint-Maximin to launch an all out attack on the Elland Road defence. Fellow newbie Kieran Trippier will have to use all his experience to keep Raphinha quiet. Callum Wilson, Federico Fernández and Isaac Hayden are all long term absentees for Eddie Howe's team. Eddie How has lost all four games he has managed at Elland Road, can Leeds ensure he keeps his 100% losing record.

The game isn't on live TV in the UK, watch via a NordVPN with our dicounted rate...

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Newcastle Utd Match Thread

Post by Chilli D »

According to Bielsa, Gelhardt and Roberts are both in with a chance of being fit for the game.
Plus Llorente is available.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He did have a good sub appearance did Rodrigo ..

GK - Meslier
RWB - Ayling
LB - Hjelde
CB - Llorente
CB - Struijk
DMF - Koch
CMF - Dallas
AMF - Klich
RW - Raphinha
LW - Harrsion
ST - James
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Spotty
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Spotty »

As a Toon I'm not optimistic. 3- 1 Leeds win and comfortable. Watched your game with my boy on Sunday, and afterwards both of thought " s**t, not good for us ".

I think we'll go down this year as Ashley's non spending chickens - averaging 9.2m per season - are coming home to roost.

I think we'll bounce straight back up comfortably and THEN we'll see where the new regime at the Toon will take us. Don't want to get relegated obviously but we are going to have to expect the s**t which will come our way.

Many a good trip to ER in the past. Be interesting where Bielsa will take you next season. I would love him at the Toon but did note he was getting some stick from some of you lot on the recent " bad " run you had.

Good luck after Saturday people, PL needs fan bases like we both have, but not looking good for us.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

faaip wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:08 pm He did have a good sub appearance did Rodrigo ..

GK - Meslier
RWB - Ayling
LB - Hjelde
CB - Llorente
CB - Struijk
DMF - Koch
CMF - Dallas
AMF - Klich
RW - Raphinha
LW - Harrsion
ST - James
Very strong team defensively :love:

With Rodrigo, Roberts, Gelhardt, and Bate, some enticing options off the bench to change the game up. Imagine having Phllips, Forshaw, Bamford, Cresswell, Summerville, and Firpo all fit as well, and the squad would be more than enough to challenge any team.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Need to put someone big and strong with wood, also someone pacy and adaptable with St Max, man to man might not be enough otherwise, imagine Dallas against wood from set-pieces !!!
We have plenty going forward to worry newcastle, I'll be bitterly disappointed if we lose this game, 1-0 will do, but, I do expect a difficult one, they are desperate, but we have picked up significantly lately and ought to be able to keep memento going.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:30 pm Need to put someone big and strong with wood, also someone pacy and adaptable with St Max, man to man might not be enough otherwise, imagine Dallas against wood from set-pieces !!!
We have plenty going forward to worry newcastle, I'll be bitterly disappointed if we lose this game, 1-0 will do, but, I do expect a difficult one, they are desperate, but we have picked up significantly lately and ought to be able to keep memento going.
Agree, I would love to see Struijk marking Wood. He basically marked a bigger beast in Antonio out of the game last week, so much so, they had to switch Antonio out to the LW to try and exploit Ayling.

As always, St. Max is the danger man. Shut him down and that's half the game won there. Hoping Koch, especially with his new found 'aggression' can leave a little in on him at the get-go to make St. Max think twice about any 50:50s.

Think we'll start with James up front to keep the Toon's back line honest, but I would like to see us bring Gelhardt or Rodrigo on at some stage to exploit tiredness.

I know Newcastle will see this as potential to gain at least one point and they won't be pushovers so I'll happily take a dour 1-0 if it falls in our favour.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Spotty wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:58 pm As a Toon I'm not optimistic. 3- 1 Leeds win and comfortable. Watched your game with my boy on Sunday, and afterwards both of thought " s**t, not good for us ".

I think we'll go down this year as Ashley's non spending chickens - averaging 9.2m per season - are coming home to roost.

I think we'll bounce straight back up comfortably and THEN we'll see where the new regime at the Toon will take us. Don't want to get relegated obviously but we are going to have to expect the s**t which will come our way.

Many a good trip to ER in the past. Be interesting where Bielsa will take you next season. I would love him at the Toon but did note he was getting some stick from some of you lot on the recent " bad " run you had.

Good luck after Saturday people, PL needs fan bases like we both have, but not looking good for us.
Thanks Spotty :tup:
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Newcastle are due a win as in law of averages.
It would be just like us to let that happen, but I’ve always felt like this vs every team who’s ever been on a bad run then plays us next .
Haven’t put my prediction in yet as I’m hoping I’ll feel differently on Saturday .
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:38 pm Agree, I would love to see Struijk marking Wood. He basically marked a bigger beast in Antonio out of the game last week, so much so, they had to switch Antonio out to the LW to try and exploit Ayling.

My thoughts exactly re Wood Lumi. Struijk was interviewed after the game on Sunday, said he would rather play against big centre forwards than smaller quicker ones.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:08 pm He did have a good sub appearance did Rodrigo ..

GK - Meslier
RWB - Ayling
LB - Hjelde
CB - Llorente
CB - Struijk
DMF - Koch
CMF - Dallas
AMF - Klich
RW - Raphinha
LW - Harrsion
ST - James

Think I'd probably go the same!
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Given the three points last weekend I'd be happy with a draw, but it's definitely a game we can win
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:08 pm My thoughts exactly re Wood Lumi. Struijk was interviewed after the game on Sunday, said he would rather play against big centre forwards than smaller quicker ones.
That’s my only concern regarding Pascal - his lack of genuine pace.
A few times he has been left for dead in a sprint but more than makes up for it by reading the situation and his Rolls Royce timing.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Not counting any chickens and we must be on our mettle but a win here will put us 13pts ahead of Newcastle and potentially up to 11th in the league.

If we play as well as we did against West Ham last time out then a win is definitely on the cards - come on Leeds!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Saint Maximin is the big worry for me. Not just quick but powerful with it. I remember him roasting Ayling a couple of times last season.
And obviously Wood's aerial threat from set pieces could be an issue but it shouldn't be, we have plenty of height now with Llorente, Koch, Struijk and Hjelde but for some reason we really struggle defending corners.
But if we get at them we should win this game.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Didn't realize Hjelde is only 18 ! What a future he has and hopefully stays with us.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:43 pm Didn't realize Hjelde is only 18 ! What a future he has and hopefully stays with us.

Watching him last week , it was hard to believe. Hope he starts tomorrow, if Firpo is out.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:43 pm Didn't realize Hjelde is only 18 ! What a future he has and hopefully stays with us.

He's a really big future if used correctly, and he ought to be at ER, he was outstanding whilst on loan at Ross County, C@ltic didn't want to lose him, £1 million for a player rated a future VVD.
Also plays at either left back or midfield, adaptability is what we love.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Big lad for a 18yo.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:24 pm Saint Maximin is the big worry for me. Not just quick but powerful with it. I remember him roasting Ayling a couple of times last season.
And obviously Wood's aerial threat from set pieces could be an issue but it shouldn't be, we have plenty of height now with Llorente, Koch, Struijk and Hjelde but for some reason we really struggle defending corners.
But if we get at them we should win this game.
Someone needs to nobble him :lol: